Backhoe options for a bx2660

/ Backhoe options for a bx2660 #1  

Frosstoise

Tractor
Kubota BX2660
So I've been playing with my 2660, and while I'm completely happy with it's performance, I find myself looking quite longingly at those BX2x's, with their fancy backhoes. It seems every time I turn around, I see another place I could be digging a ditch :)

So, my question is, what options are available for something like a 2660 for post-purchase backhoes? Are the 'hoes from the BX2x series compatible, and can they be purchased seperately? When looking at the BX25, it certainly looks a lot like a 2350... What about Wallenstein, or other after-market products?

Frosstoise

/ Backhoe options for a bx2660 #2  
Good questions. I also am the proud owner of the BX2660. From what I've seen, the Woods and Wallenstein are among the best options. Woods has several design components that they claim make it superior to the Kubota BH, but that might be up for discussion.

One of my concerns with a BH is the seat and 3pt. How much of my tractor has to change to make one work and how much screwing around is it going to be to switch it on and off?

Before I actually got my tractor I remember reading posts about the challenges connecting implements to the 3pt. Now that I have it, I don't understand what all the fuss is about. I can swap rotary cutter to blade to ballast box in minutes with zero frustration. What can I expect with a BH?

I'd love to hear from a member that has an aftermarket BH on one of the new BX's and how they like it.

/ Backhoe options for a bx2660 #3  
I bought a new BX2660 in September and was told by Kubota that there is not a backhoe option available.
I too have already had a slight need for one, but hopefully won't again. I found a local high school kid and for $10/hour he can do a lot of digging until the cost of the BH is matched.
Not sure about the after market.

/ Backhoe options for a bx2660 #4  
One of my concerns with a BH is the seat and 3pt. How much of my tractor has to change to make one work and how much screwing around is it going to be to switch it on and off?
I have the Woods BH6000 and adore it. I assume if they don't have a subframe to fit the new BX2660 already, it won't be long. I would put it on-par with the current generation Kubota BH in operation...some things being better or worse is a matter of taste. The seat rotating assembly isn't as nice as the Kubota unit...that's the only real beef I have. Everything else is top notch.

I have never detached a Kubota BH, but the videos I've seen show it "tilting" off the top pins, then dropping off the bottom. On the Woods BH6000, you line all 4 pins up and raise/lower the unit into place. Most of the time it goes like butter, but sometimes I have to fart around with it for 2 swigs before the subframe pins drop in place.

Regarding swapping it around, you're talking about a 1/3 beer (3 to 5 minute) exercise in real life (you'll see videos of guys doing it in 45 seconds...I'm talking about the real world, cold tractor to BH removed and wheeled in the corner while taking 3 swigs from your beer...). The most time consuming is removal of the lower links (1 swig) and proper positioning of the BH for attachment (1 or 2 swigs). Having the BH on some type of wheeled dolly is a must. Mine is simple...movers furniture dolly with a couple 4x4's. Cheap. I'll probably do better sometime soon.

I don't know about you, but 1/2 of a beer to having an operational backhoe is NOTHING. I would not let that at all dissuade you from purchasing. I've taken that long mounting my box blade, believe it or not.

And I have some practice as my BX also handles mowing duties. And I do a myriad of outdoor projects. This means I'm FOREVER swapping bagger, BH, box blade, hitch, and sometimes PHD on the back. I "convert" my tractor between dirt and lawn duties not less than 4 cycles a month (a cycle being full conversion from lawn to dirt and back to lawn). This involves removal of the FEL and whatever I have on the back (BH, PHD, Box Blade, whatever) and installation of the MMM and bagger. Full "conversion" either way takes about 1 full beer (15 minutes).

Now that leaf season is almost over, I can pretty much leave it in 'dirt' mode for the winter, though I usually run my box blade instead of my BH in the back for snow removal. Lower COG.

When I bought, I was between BX versions and the BX24 was just coming out. And I like the Woods BH6000 better than the Kubota unit on the BX23. Going back, I'd do everything the same. There were other circumstances, but in the end, I paid 115 cases of Corona ($1,500) or so premium to get the Woods BH6000 mounted onto my BX2230 (a year later) instead of just buying the BX23/24. Even with that, I have absolutely no regrets about the BH6000. Great unit. Bulletproof.

Last edited:
   / Backhoe options for a bx2660 #5  
When I bought, I was between BX versions and the BX24 was just coming out. And I like the Woods BH6000 better than the Kubota unit on the BX23. Going back, I'd do everything the same. There were other circumstances, but in the end, I paid a 115 case of Corona ($1,500) or so premium to get the Woods BH6000 mounted onto my BX2230 (a year later) instead of just buying the BX23/24. Even with that, I have absolutely no regrets about the BH6000. Great unit. Bulletproof.

I looked at it the same way. When you do the math, the price difference on the BX24 to the BX2350 was around $3500-3800. I would have loved to save in money initially, but being that you can't get a BH for anywhere near $4000 I just went with the BX24. Love it. I've got the BH off in about 2 minutes and on has been more like three minutes. I'm not counting the time it takes me to take off those plastic fitting covers.

/ Backhoe options for a bx2660 #6  
So I've been playing with my 2660, and while I'm completely happy with it's performance,
1*I find myself looking quite longingly at those BX2x's, with their fancy backhoes.
2*R the 'hoes from the BX2x series compatible
3*can they be purchased seperately?
4*When looking at the BX25, it certainly looks a lot like a 2350.
5*.. What about Wallenstein, or other after-market products?
Frosstoise
1*This is where the BXs have it all over the Bs.
2*No
3*No
4*The only difference is the BH.
5*There is woods but check on a Kubota BH at the Kubota dealer too.

/ Backhoe options for a bx2660 #7  
I looked at it the same way. When you do the math, the price difference on the BX24 to the BX2350 was around $3500-
*$3800.
I would have loved to save in money initially, but being that you can't get a BH for anywhere near 4000 I just went with the BX24. Love it.
I've got the BH off in about 2 minutes and on has been more like three minutes. I'm not counting the time it takes me to take off those plastic fitting covers.
*I have EXactly $3800 in my BH.

/ Backhoe options for a bx2660 #8  
I bought a new BX2660 in September and was told by Kubota that there is not a backhoe option available.
I too have already had a slight need for one, but hopefully won't again. I found a local high school kid and for $10/hour he can do a lot of digging until the cost of the BH is matched.
Not sure about the after market.
That Kids no match for a BH even if he will work free.

/ Backhoe options for a bx2660 #9  
Everything else is top notch.
On the Woods BH6000, you line all 4 pins up and raise/lower the unit into place. Most of the time it goes like butter, but sometimes I have to fart around with it for 2 swigs before the subframe pins drop in place.

I've got the BH off in about 2 minutes and on has been more like three minutes. I'm not counting the time it takes me to take off those plastic fitting covers.
I'm quicker than either one of you guys.:D
I can go from this
;)http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk286/lb59/100_2321.jpg
to this
:)http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk286/lb59/100_2316.jpg
in about 10 seconds.:D
Sorry fellows I couldn't help it :eek:

/ Backhoe options for a bx2660 #10  
See, LB, That's exactly the kind of stuff that drives us crazy, or is it jealous.

Argh!!!!!!