M59 and a snow pusher?

/ M59 and a snow pusher? #1  

ME83

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 110 TLB
I have been looking at new tractors for a while and two of the top qualifiers are the M59 or the new L45 (when it comes out). One of the tasks I am hoping it will help me save a lot of time on is clearing snow around the farm in the winter. Right now it takes me about 3 hrs to plow everything out with a pickup; we have a very long and wide gravel driveway. I want to get a snow pusher to put on whatever tractor I end up getting.

My main question is if you guys think the HST on the M59 will be up the the task of a 10-ft pusher, or maybe an 8-ft for the L45? It will be a lot of weight to be pushing and I have heard of people hitting the bypass valve on the grand L series, I didn't know if the M59 will have that problem with a snow pusher.

/ M59 and a snow pusher? #2  
First off, I wouldn't get a snow pusher for a long driveway. They are designed more for wide open areas like parking lots and that is where their efficiency come from. If you have a wide open area in addition to the long driveway, i would get a snowplow with swing down hydraulic endgates so the best of both worlds are had. The regular snowplow can be used on the driveway then when you need to clean up around a barn or garage you can put down the endgates and the plow becomes a snow pusher. Her is an example http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=51119&highlight=horst

for a M59 I would probably go with a 3000 series blade which can be had up to 9'

HORST WELDING | HLA >> 3000 SERIES

/ M59 and a snow pusher?
That is one impressive plow, too bad it is $8500.

Our parking lot/driveway is roughly 600' long by 60'. It is not straight and I plow all of the snow to one side so I am not stacking snow up against the barn. I have a horse barn, hence the bigger parking lot and I have to push the snow into piles because there are parked horse trailers I need to clean in front of. I also have to plow pathways out to the paddacks where I need to push staight because of paddacks on both sides of the path. I thought a pusher would be the best for me.

/ M59 and a snow pusher? #4  
that is $8500 canadian and that price is for the 4000 series which would be too big for the M59.

/ M59 and a snow pusher? #5  
I have been looking at new tractors for a while and two of the top qualifiers are the M59 or the new L45 (when it comes out). One of the tasks I am hoping it will help me save a lot of time on is clearing snow around the farm in the winter. Right now it takes me about 3 hrs to plow everything out with a pickup; we have a very long and wide gravel driveway. I want to get a snow pusher to put on whatever tractor I end up getting.

My main question is if you guys think the HST on the M59 will be up the the task of a 10-ft pusher, or maybe an 8-ft for the L45? It will be a lot of weight to be pushing and I have heard of people hitting the bypass valve on the grand L series, I didn't know if the M59 will have that problem with a snow pusher.

After reading your posting you should consider a good rear mounted snow blower for the tractor you intend to buy.

Judging by your needs the Pronovost blower model PXPL-86 with the dragging scraper for an 50-75 horsepower tractor would be a best buy for you- buying a smaller horsepower tractor will will only mean you need to drive a bit slower blowing snow.

The slower you travel with a blower the farther the snow is blown too as the fan has more energy to blow it away.

The dragging scraper on the PXPL models allows you to get up close to buildings and overhead doors to clean all the snow out by dragging it away and then running blower to get rid of any excees accumulation.

A snow pusher requires a huge amount of mass and energy to move it due to its weight along with the snow where a snow blower does not. The blower will get rid of the snow quickly and easily for the work you need to do and it will not leave drift piles along the way either. The scrapper on the PXPL will allow you to remove all the snow near a barn or horse trailer easily with out damaging them.

Here is the link to pronovost.com

The videos show how the blower works and how easy it is to clean with them.

The hydraulic scraper blade scrapes right down to the pavement to remove snow as shown in the video.

You will be able to drag away and pile a lot of snow and blow it to a an area way from the barns, horse trailers etc. and have a clean path to your paddocks.

A good blower is also good investment as it will work where plows have trouble due to packed snow and frozen ice and snow and high drifts.

The blower will not be as heavy as a large pusher or a plow with wing blades either.

The blower is the width of the tractor and it will remove everything in its path.

Frozen snow piles are not very kind to small plows as they tend not to move and push the plow sideways with the operator and ramming the piles only guarnatees damage to the equipment used.

Pronovost has many dealers in the USA so they are not hard to find

The Pronovost web site has a dealer and contact directory for the united states too.

The regional sales representative for Massachussets is

Larry Web 1-802-472-5035

He will tell you who your closest Pronovost dealer is in your area.

leon

Last edited:
   / M59 and a snow pusher? #6  
I wouldn't use a pusher either, in your stated set up and need, I have a L 48 and this 7 1/2 ft power angle blade. This 48 can easily take an 8 or 9 ft. My driveway is uphill and 1600 ft long and I have no problems. I also plow around the barn and other areas,, I do not however, have animals here to centend with

Attachments

• Image003rs3.jpg
    Image003rs3.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 491
   / M59 and a snow pusher? #7  
I am running an 8" Fisher power angle plow on a M-5040 with no problems.

/ M59 and a snow pusher?
My current setup is a 1980 Chevy K10 with a 7 1/2' plow. It is a dedicated plow truck so I have a good pile of sand in the back with chains on the rear. Like I said, even with this I end up taking at least 2 hrs to plow with a light snow and 3 hrs with more than 5". I do realize I could cut this time down a bit but my OCD cuts in and I can't leave any tails :rolleyes:. A tractor with a plow will be slower than the truck since they don't move as fast, unless I get a really big plow.

I have thought about the snow blower for a while but the back half of the driveway is 1.5" trap rock and the front half is the same but it is embedded into the ground more. I am afraid the snow blower will throw the stones. I would have to leave the blower up then sand everything afterwards in fear of someone or a horse slipping when the rest of the snow gets packed down.

I was hoping the M59 would be heavy enough to push a pusher. I have never used a pusher, but they sell 8 & 10 ft models for Bobcats so I figured a M59 would be plenty to push it.

Overall the snow blower would probably be the best solution.

I greatly appreciate everyone's input.

/ M59 and a snow pusher? #9  
OK, so I don't have a big machine, but I don't see why a 9' snow pusher on a 59hp, 8350 lbs 4wd backhoe couldn't take care of your snow moving chores, and in less time than you now can do with the pickup. I'm basing that on my little 30hp machine with a 5' loader bucket, which can move a lot of snow with little effort.

That big machine is designed to move a lot of dirt, after all.

Being able to pile the snow as high as you want should help cut time down dramatically, and I would think that in your situation, the 9' pusher would work well. It's only 2' wider than the dirt bucket, correct?

/ M59 and a snow pusher? #10  
Power from a 59 I don't believe would be the question,, it is, can a pusher be used on his particular property? As I said, I have a 48, which I believe can also push a 9 ft pusher, However in my case it wouldn't work. 1600 ft long driveway and lined both sides with pine trees, If the pusher got loaded, I have no where to go with it. This guy asking the question may very well not have a problem, although in and around the barn, loose stone in parts,, only he can answer this,,