BX2200, for a 1st time tractor owner for mowing

/ BX2200, for a 1st time tractor owner for mowing #1  

hadjin

Just joined, this is my first post on your site; what a HUGE resevour of wealth freely shared here.

I am looking at a 22hp BX2200 HST with 600 hours, for mainly mowing former cattle pasture and areas around the living compound. I also would like to somewhat maintain the old dirt roads that have gone without any attention for some 20 + years in the back of the ranch. The topography has 45 degree slopes and areas do ger boggy during the rains. I plan to use a box scraper, loader and belly mower. The unit I am looking at only has a loader and spreader, it is in very nice condition cosmetically and mechanically; the owner wants $6500. It seems well priced for what I have seen them sell for.

In searching these threads I read many posts by owners who seem to have problems with their BXs, my question is does this tractor suffer from more then typical mechanical or design faults/problems ? Costs are a big consideration for me, so/but I'll happily take any recommendations for a different tractor (non gray) that can be purchased for this amount; older or more modern. Reliability and simplicity are what I hope to acquire.

Thank you

/ BX2200, for a 1st time tractor owner for mowing #2  
1*In searching these threads I read many posts by owners who seem to have problems with their BXs,
2*my question is does this tractor suffer from more than typical mechanical or design faults/problems ? Thank you

1*Read enough around here and you will see the same thing with any/every brand.
2*Most definately not.

/ BX2200, for a 1st time tractor owner for mowing #3  
5 years ago I bought my first tractor. I have 5 hillside acres with plenty of rocks. I hired a man with a dozer to level out for house and clear some of the trees. I bought a BX2200 to be a great lifetime mower. I added FEL to purchase thinking I was probably wasting my money. Wow! That sucker was incredible for what it would do. Loved that FEL and it mowed great with MMM. It done so much that I started doing projects that I would have normally hired someone else to do. Only problem with it for me was ground clearance and that Tim the toolman mentality of "MORE POWER" started eating on me. One year later I traded up to a B7800. It had higher ground clearance and could do the jobs a bit quicker. Bought a BX1500 at that time so wife could help me mow. After another 3 years traded the B7800 to a L3240HST and the BX1500 to a BX2350. It all started with the BX2200 which was a great machine And I had no problems with it. As far as pricing I believe one should always contact Barlow Package program and ask them for a price on a similiar tractor. If they are higher then feel better about your deal and if they are cheaper then you may save some money. Kubota is offering some lower interest programs now on used equipment bought thru Kubota dealers. You'll love the BX2200.

/ BX2200, for a 1st time tractor owner for mowing #4  
I think the BX's are considered pretty realiable, even by Kubota standards. Every complicated piece of machinery at one time or the other will have problems. You also have to understand why people post, they need help with a problem. You will rarely get people posting to say "every thing is good". You will get people posting saying something like "I drove my Kubota off a 50 foot cliff, I'm O.K. but I can use some advice on how to put my tractor back together".

Also, if you have a true 45 degree slope, stay off it. That is a 1 to 1 slope, which is difficult to stand on, let alone get a tractor on.

/ BX2200, for a 1st time tractor owner for mowing #5  
Just joined, this is my first post on your site; what a HUGE resevour of wealth freely shared here.

I am looking at a 22hp BX2200 HST with 600 hours, for mainly mowing former cattle pasture and areas around the living compound. I also would like to somewhat maintain the old dirt roads that have gone without any attention for some 20 + years in the back of the ranch. The topography has 45 degree slopes and areas do ger boggy during the rains. I plan to use a box scraper, loader and belly mower. The unit I am looking at only has a loader and spreader, it is in very nice condition cosmetically and mechanically; the owner wants $6500. It seems well priced for what I have seen them sell for.

In searching these threads I read many posts by owners who seem to have problems with their BXs, my question is does this tractor suffer from more then typical mechanical or design faults/problems ? Costs are a big consideration for me, so/but I'll happily take any recommendations for a different tractor (non gray) that can be purchased for this amount; older or more modern. Reliability and simplicity are what I hope to acquire.

Thank you
Keep tractors off these.

/ BX2200, for a 1st time tractor owner for mowing
Thank you for the replys. I realize the jist of my post has been asked countless times in other threads, but, I just needed some neophite hand holding. I'm going to see the BX today. We'll see how it goes.

Have a great day, and thanks again for the friendly responses.

/ BX2200, for a 1st time tractor owner for mowing #7  
I have a BX2200 on 5 acres. I have A FEL, Woods backhoe with thumb, 40" Gearmore heavy duty brush cutter, 60" MMM, 42" Gannon box blade, 42" rear blade, 37" Muratori tiller, PHD, chipper, carryall, and pond scoop.

The BX2200 is a good match for your acreage. Taking any tractor on a 45 degree slope, however, is suicidal. I used to ski 75 degree couliors, climb 90 degree rock walls, and rappel 100+ degree overhangs. What most people think looks like 45 degrees is more like 28 to 30. People on a 45 usually guess it is about 75. Highways with a 6% grade (6' drop and 100' run) have runaway truck ramps all over the place. A 6% grade is only an angle of 3.43 degrees. (Do some basic trigonometry with sides of 6' and 100' on a right triangle.) Gee whiz, a 45 degree angle is a 100% grade (the rise and run are equal).

Take a small level and a protractor and go measure it. If it really is 45 and you take a standard utility tractor of any size on it, you will not survive to tell us about it. Now I apologize for the way this is going to sound, because it is going to sound very unkind, but it is true. Either you don't have a clue about measuring angles, or you don't have a clue about what is safe on a tractor, or both. Now I know that sounds very mean, but none of us wants to read where a relative of yours posts that you died. I am not exaggerating about this. If you try to use a tractor on a 45 degree slope, YOU ARE GOING TO DIE. Please go do some measurement with instruments, and then learn about tractors and slope before you put a lot of people through intense grief.

Last edited:
   / BX2200, for a 1st time tractor owner for mowing #8  
A few of the BX models had minor problems. I can't remember any that were real serious. Cracking plastic parts comes to mind. My BX 1800 ran for 1200 hours when I traded it in with no major problems.Generally a fine tractor.

/ BX2200, for a 1st time tractor owner for mowing #9  
A few of the BX models had minor problems. I can't remember any that were real serious. Cracking plastic parts comes to mind. My BX 1800 ran for 1200 hours when I traded it in with no major problems.Generally a fine tractor.

BX2200s didn't have plastic fenders, cowlings, etc. I did break the mounts for the rear turn signals by hitting limbs when mowing around trees. I had a couple of hydro lines give out after about 7 years.

/ BX2200, for a 1st time tractor owner for mowing #10  
The front axle oil seals are a spot to look at. Lots of BX owners have had to replace these after a few hundred hours or more. Look at the pivot point where the front wheels turn and the axle housing is stationary. There is a seal in there horizontally that might be leaky. Costs about $50 for 2 new seals + labor.