B3030 Loader Bucket Question - Can I use a LA463 Bucket?

/ B3030 Loader Bucket Question - Can I use a LA463 Bucket? #1  

caj4isu

Tractor
BX22
As I've mentioned recently, I'll be taking possession of a new B3030 soon, and had planned to get the Kubota QA bucket and pallet forks. Since I've been lurking around the forums lately, I've noticed that some of you B3030 owners have the ATI Tach-All bracket instead of the Kubota pin-type QA. I like this option because it doesn't box me into just 2 attachments.

I called my dealer and talked to him about ATI. He called them and got a price of about $700 delivered for the Tach-All bracket for the LA403. He also found a set of pallet forks from Berlon, a skid steer attachment outfit in Wisconsin, for about $750 (75% of the price of the Kubota pin-type QA pallet forks). He also told me that Berlon makes skid steer type buckets. The one he picked out (economy) at first appeared to be a lower-profile bucket similar to what would be on a skid steer. I don't think I want a low-profile bucket because I haul a lot of wood to the wood burner, and I would probably spill more on the way from the wood pile with a low-profile bucket. Berlon's 60" economy bucket weighed 349 lbs. Berlon also has a snow and light material bucket (SLMB) that looks like a standard Kubota bucket, but it weighs 489 lbs. The 60" bucket for the LA403 only weighs 125 lbs, according to my dealer, so I'd be giving up a lot of lift capacity if I went with either Berlon bucket.

SO..... Here's my question:

Can I get a bucket meant for an LA463 (L2800 or L3400) that has the skid steer type quick attach brackets and use it on a LA403 w/ATI Tach-all on a B3030? (The L2800 and L3400 have the option to go with a skid steer type QA). The LA463 60" bucket weighs 260lbs, so I wouldn't be giving up much lift capacity compared to the Berlon buckets.

I'm not sure how much the LA463 60" bucket would cost compared to the LA403 60" bucket. The 'price yer kubota' option has been down most of the evening, so I couldn't compare list prices.

Comments or suggestions?

Chuck

/ B3030 Loader Bucket Question - Can I use a LA463 Bucket? #2  
Another option would be to have the QA bracket mounted to the standard bucket.

MarkV

/ B3030 Loader Bucket Question - Can I use a LA463 Bucket? #3  
There is no reason you can't use the LA463 60" bucket with a universal SS QA plate on it. As far as forks go.......make sure you get the lightest forks you can find that will suit your needs. Forks are heavy, and every pound of fork you have is another pound you can't lift. Most forks are rated for 4000lbs or more, and are waaaaaay over built for a 3030......which lifts around 1000lbs.

/ B3030 Loader Bucket Question - Can I use a LA463 Bucket?
DUCTAPE - Thanks for the tip on the forks. The Berlon Class 1 pallet forks that my dealer picked out are rated to lift 1250lbs, and the frame only weighs 163 lbs. Looks like they're sized about right.

/ B3030 Loader Bucket Question - Can I use a LA463 Bucket? #5  
I have the Bradco compact tractor skid steer mount pallet forks and they were a good match to my B3030 when I had it. This is were I purchased mine, looks like they are $525. They are very well built.
Inventory - Woodbury Tractor Company, LLC
Another option.
CAL 42" Compact Pallet Forks CAL-1PFCMPSM42

I would have the dealer weld a skid steer adapter plate onto the stock Kubota bucket. That is what I had the dealer do when I purchased my B3030 with the ATI Tach-All. It would be much lighter than any other bucket as the adapters weigh around 75 lbs.

/ B3030 Loader Bucket Question - Can I use a LA463 Bucket? #6  
caj4isu,

I would have the dealer weld a skid steer adapter plate onto the stock Kubota bucket. That is what I had the dealer do when I purchased my B3030 with the ATI Tach-All. It would be much lighter than any other bucket as the adapters weigh around 75 lbs.

This is probably your best and most affordable option. Here's an another:

If you want to go 60" at 212 lbs. ship weight, consider the B26 round back bucket. It's a bit pricy at the 2007 price of $737 but it's a really nice bucket, well built and well suited for a B3030 in my opinion. After all, I've read the B26 is built on a B3030 frame. The LA463 QA bucket is 66".

I tend to feel that the round back buckets are better at scooping because they curl the dirt up and around instead of hitting it like a wall. Something to consider with a lighter machine. And although it's round on the inside, it has a nice square heel for back dragging on the outside. FYI, the B26 60" is Struck Cap. (7.8 cu.ft.) Heaped Cap. (9.5 cu.ft.) Orange isn't a custom order.

If the Berlon Class 1 pallet forks don't work out for you check out Virnig's compact tractor forks:

Pallet Fork

They say they weigh around 295 lbs. but they are light weight and extremely well built. I have them and I am able to lift/maneuver the frame in a way, by hand, that makes me doubt they really way that much. Certainly don't weigh more. I think I got them for $800. The Berlons should come in at about 285 lbs with 61 lb forks. Good luck. Like to hear what you choose and how you make out.

/ B3030 Loader Bucket Question - Can I use a LA463 Bucket? #7  
caj4isu,

If you want to go 60" at 212 lbs. ship weight, consider the B26 round back bucket. It's a bit pricy at the 2007 price of $737 but it's a really nice bucket, well built and well suited for a B3030 in my opinion. After all, I've read the B26 is built on a B3030 frame. The LA463 QA bucket is 66".

I like that advice. I'm pretty sure the B3030 60" bucket is 175#, so the B26 bucket is only 37# heavier, and it is a really sweet bucket. Plus, if you add the skid steer QA adapter, after cutting off the pin-on brackets, I bet you'd be pretty close to 200# total on the stock 3030 bucket. I would love to have a round back bucket - they're much nicer for dirt work in my opinion.

/ B3030 Loader Bucket Question - Can I use a LA463 Bucket?
Harvest Moon was right on - I talked to my dealer again yesterday, and he gave me a couple options. The round back 60" bucket for the B26 TLB or the flat back 66" QA bucket for the LA463.

My main use for the bucket is moving wood from my pile to my outdoor wood burner, and I think the flat back would allow me to stack wood (end in first) in the bucket and it would be more stable for transport. Maybe the round back would work just as well for the wood.

I told my dealer I'd go with the 66" FLat back bucket for the LA463. 6" more room to haul more wood too. It cost less that the B26 bucket. I didn't figure extra 3" on each side would make the tractor look too funny.

/ B3030 Loader Bucket Question - Can I use a LA463 Bucket? #9  
caj4isu, I think you made the better choice for hauling wood. The round back starts curving pretty early in the bucket and doesn't make for good stacking.

There may be a third option if you have any hesitation about the LA463 bucket and it's all about wood. There is a B26 66" light material bucket (TL2144) with a larger capacity than the LA463 bucket. Struck Cap. (11.3 cu.ft.) Heaped Cap. (13.8 cu.ft.) and may be the cats meow, for wood. It also has a ship weight of 212 lbs., but costs even more. $763 at 2007 prices.

/ B3030 Loader Bucket Question - Can I use a LA463 Bucket? #10  
The wood thing is a good point too. I use my B3030 to move a lot of wood, and the stock bucket does work well for stacking the wood.

I guess I won't rush right out and buy a round back bucket. :D