b7510hst, bx1860 or bx2360

/ b7510hst, bx1860 or bx2360 #1  

FarmNut

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L4330DT & B7510HSD
I'm trying to decide between these tractors. I have a little under 2 acres about half of which I will mow and the other half is wooded with large trees (some of which I may try to establish and maintain as a shaded park/lawn). I have some pretty good slopes on the property so the higher center of gravity on the b7510hst has me a little concerned and the one I'm looking at has R4 industrial tires so I'm also concerned about tearing up the lawn.

I want a FEL and MMM on whatever I get, but the highest percent use will be mowing. I'm leaning toward the bx1860 since I think it will do all I need it to do and cost me less money, but the higher ratings of the bx2360 and the b7510hst also have me wondering if I'll wish I had bought the bigger tractor.

The b7510 would be more useful if I also want to use it on farm/timber property that I own that is located about an hour away, but it may be less practical around the house. I have an L4330 that I use on the farm property, so its not likely that I would take the house tractor to the farm very often. However, it does enter my mind since I don't currently have an FEL for the L4330. If I get either of the bx's, I don't know if their FEL capacity would be of significant use to me on my farm property, but would be more than adequate around the house.

The bx's also seem to have the better lawn mowing capability and I like the 54" since it is suspended, while the 60" is a surface float for either of the bx's or the b7510.

Anyway, can some of you b7510 (or similar size) tractor owners help me get comfortable with the lawn mowing capabilities and the higher center of gravity for this tractor? What would an extra set of turf wheels and tires cost me for the b7510?

Can the bx owners convince me that the FEL capacity would meet most of my needs?

Should I consider the 60" mower if I go to a bx 2360?

Is anything larger than the bx1860 on less than 2 acres just overkill and is it the best bang for my buck?

Should i get both turfs and ag tires if I get one of the bx's since I have read that an extra set of tires and wheels is only around $300?

Lots of questions. Hopefully some of you can help me make my decision.

FarmNut

/ b7510hst, bx1860 or bx2360 #2  
I have sloped property. I have owned a B7800, BX2200, BX1500 and currently own a BX2350 and L3240HST. For sloped property there is nothing that is more stable than the BX's. I use my L for FEL work and mow 3 acres with my BX2350. My 3 acres that I mow is treed, sloped, gullied and rocked with an acre or so of somewhat slightly sloped to level. I will recommend the BX's with FEL and use the extra money to buy a used or less expensive FEL for your L at the other property. I'd pay extra for a 60" mower, well actually I did because I have the 60" MMM on my BX2350 but the trees I mow around are not close enough to each other that the mower width causes any problems. If yours are then you may be better off with the 54".

/ b7510hst, bx1860 or bx2360 #3  
I would say a BX. The only way I would say otherwise if ground clearance was an issue. I would also say r4's... The r4 will not tear up your yard. The r4 will give you better traction everywhere else. I would give Barlow's a call. I would also upgrade to the 2660. That machine will do everything you want it to do and more. You should be able to get a 2660, loader and 60" mower for about 13,500 delivered to your door, no tax..... Keep in mind that if your mowing grass on a hill the extra horsepower is a must. You can let the grass get away from you and you will have no issues with more horsepower. I would go with a 60" mower. I love spending other people's money. Good luck. Buying a tractor is based on needs...

/ b7510hst, bx1860 or bx2360 #4  
I have a B7510 and it is a good machine, but for what you describe the BX2360 would probably be a better match. I use it to mow (60" deck) 2 acres around lots of apple trees, haul firewood and move snow in the winter. I'd say the 7510 could shrink a size when it comes to mowing (on my property) and grow a size when yarding logs. Ground clearance was a major reason why I bought what I have. I only have turf tires and it worked out fine for most uses. I think if it's too wet in the woods so the turfs spin too much it's a sign that I probably should not be there in the first place and just wait until the ground dries or use a longer chain/rope and pull from a drier area.
Since you have that big machine on the other property you would probably be happy with the BX unless ground clearance is an issue around your home. As for the FEL capacity. They both have the same size bucket and I never was able to max out the loader. I had it full of fine gravel and it never even hesitated. I do get it caught under very heavy items that I can't move but that is a different story. That said the BX loader capacity is slightly less but you could probably lift most anything you can fit into the loader bucket on the BX as well.

/ b7510hst, bx1860 or bx2360 #5  
Your situation sounds similar to mine except maybe the slopes. I have 2 acres, one in lawn and another acre of woods. A few slopes, but nothing too severe. So far, the BX1860 has done everything I've needed. I've used the FEL to move heaping loads of crushed stone (didn't try to lift it to max height) and damp top soil (did lift to max height) with no problems. I have turfs and have yet to get stuck or even spin in snow or the woods. I'm sure mud would be more challenging.

I would say that ground clearance venturing into the woods could be an issue given the plastic hydro cooling fan, but that can be addressed with Bro-Tek skid plates. For me, the biggest reason to go with the 2360 over the 1860 would be PTO horsepower for brush hogging or running a larger sized wood chipper, or maybe running a wider tiller. If those tasks are not in your plans, the 1860 is a good value.

By the way, my attempts at a woodland lawn has been a challenge. Eventually the moss wins out so I've been judiciously taking trees out to get more light to the lawn areas abutting the woods. Just more projects for my BX :)

/ b7510hst, bx1860 or bx2360 #6  
Same here - I have 1.9 acres and have BX. It does everything I need it to do, mow the lawn primarly, run the pto tiller, move firewood, move my trailers, use the fel for everything I can think of, and clear the snow. The bx is perfect sized for 2 acres and it its easier to tow on trailer then the
B series. I dont really think I will need a larger tractor unless I move to a larger lot. I love the 60 inch deck and I do have quite a few trees to mow around and it doesnt bother me. One note you might want to seriously consider is getting your rear tires filled on the BX since you have slopes. It will make it much more stable.

/ b7510hst, bx1860 or bx2360 #7  
I agree with the other posters, a "BX" would probably be the best choice for mainly mowing. It will provide the lightest footprint, has the lowest center of gravity and best cut with the full floating deck. The 1860 would probably be all you need. The deck size really depends on the obstacles (closeness of trees etc.) and the level of the lawn. If the lawn has many dips and valleys in it (not perfectly flat), the 60" deck may scalp in places. If it is fairly flat the 60" deck should work fine and will reduce the mowing time over the 54" deck. If you ever plan on running PTO powered attachments, more PTO HP would be nice (2360 or 2660) otherwise, stick with the cheaper tractor and use the extra $$ for attachments.

/ b7510hst, bx1860 or bx2360
Thanks for all of the helpful responses. I am definitely going to go with the bx. I also think I'm going to go with the 54" deck since I do not have a level lot. From what I have read here and on other threads regarding width and the benefit of the suspended decks over floating decks, the suspended/narrower deck should help to prevent scalping on my uneven terrain. Does anyone have any experience with the fine-cut deck? I think its about $100 extra, but I don't know if it's worth the extra money.

Now I just need to decide on which bx tractor, which tires (probably turfs with maybe an extra set of bars) and whether or not to get the tires filled. Will that add a lot of extra weight to be concerned about for the lawn? When filling tires with liquid, do they just fill them half full so the weight stays below the axle level as the tires roll?

FarmNut

/ b7510hst, bx1860 or bx2360 #9  
I agree with the other posters, a "BX" would probably be the best choice for mainly mowing. It will provide the lightest footprint, has the lowest center of gravity and best cut with the full floating deck. The 1860 would probably be all you need. The deck size really depends on the obstacles (closeness of trees etc.) and the level of the lawn. If the lawn has many dips and valleys in it (not perfectly flat), the 60" deck may scalp in places. If it is fairly flat the 60" deck should work fine and will reduce the mowing time over the 54" deck. If you ever plan on running PTO powered attachments, more PTO HP would be nice (2360 or 2660) otherwise, stick with the cheaper tractor and use the extra $$ for attachments.

Very good advice, could not say better. I seriously concidered a larger tractor and have larger property. but the real need and capability of the BX meets or exceeds the requirements.\>>>Enjoy your BX

/ b7510hst, bx1860 or bx2360 #10  
From my perspective the turf tires would do you fine. No need for two sets.:D

Of course I'd also go with the larger tractor and spend time smoothing out the lawn irregularities.:D