How many engine hours is too many engine hours?

/ How many engine hours is too many engine hours? #1  

Larks

Darwin, NT, Australia and Wongawallan Qld, Austral
Tractor
B7500HSD
Am looking at a B1750 with a mower deck, although it is about 20 years old it seems to be a good solid and honest machine, albeit showing its age appearance wise. It has done about 4500 hours but still starts and runs well, no rattles, leaks, doesn't overheat and electrics seem all OK.

My question is: how many hours should you really expect to get out of a 20hp 3 cylinder kubota engine as in the B1750?

thanks
Greg

/ How many engine hours is too many engine hours? #2  
I'd say you should get at least 10,000 hours if properly maintained.

/ How many engine hours is too many engine hours? #3  
I have heard 10,000 hours mentioned by a local Kubota dealer in regards to a B7100 one of their customers had. Mine had 3000 hours when traded and was still preforming as when new.:D

/ How many engine hours is too many engine hours? #4  
How many hours are too many is all about the owner's affinity for machinery. If an owner remains aware of how a machine sounds, notices when anything gets loose or changes how it acts, and takes action then and there to correct the issue, then that machine is always worth doing whatever it needs. Scheduled maintenance is done on time and the machine stays in serviceable condition for a very long time. 10,000 hours is within reason.

Machines made with good materials and precision last several years in almost anyone's hands. But after about 1,000 hours wear begins to be a factor and the health of the machine depends more and more on the attitude and actions of its owner. For a ground-engaging machine to last 10,000 hours is as much a commentary about good stewardship as original quality.

/ How many engine hours is too many engine hours? #5  
I have to agree. All machines will live long/ longer lives if well cared for. I have Woodworking machines that I have been using daily for 25 years and do not believe that they would still be functional if I had not cared for them. Regular maintenance, and stop and fix the weird noise every time. And be gentle.

/ How many engine hours is too many engine hours? #6  
4500 well cared for hours are no problem. May last 4500 more.

WIth that said, I know people that can kill one in a couple hundred hours!

You have to check it out. Have the dealership do a compression test and leak down test.

jb

/ How many engine hours is too many engine hours? #7  
I'm not sure if it is an option on the smaller engines to have them rebuilt, but I would ask. Around here large, commercial grade equipment is used well over 20K hours under the harshest of conditions. That includes two or three engine rebuilds along the way.

/ How many engine hours is too many engine hours?
Thankyou all for the replies, unfortunately this one is not through a dealer and the history is not known, also obtaining a compression test won't be practical because of the location of the tractor. I'm taking a bit of a gamble on the tractor being as described because it will be a long drive for me to go out and inspect it so am going with the expectation of buying it, ie taking cash and a trailer to bring it back, but enough common sense to pass it up if it is not as described..

/ How many engine hours is too many engine hours? #9  
Greg:

I have a B1750HSD that I bought new in 1993. Mine has only 330 hours on it and has been meticulously maintained. That said, I know of no other such equipment that has been properly maintained beyond the first few years and then only by a knowledgeable original owner.

Compact tractors are not true industrial equipment and the systems, including the engines are of the "throw away" type (much like the diesel engines used in pick up trucks). Yes, they can be rebuilt but such is rarely done outside of warranty because it is rarely cost effective. Except in the most rare situations, these engines are not 10,000 hour engines.

You do not include the suffix letters of the tractor in question but if it has a hydrostatic transmission, I would be more concerned about the maintenance record of the transmission. Hydrostatic transmissions are machined to close tolerances, are not tolerant of cavalier maintenance, and are expensive to repair.

I would be very interested in seeing the maintenance records unless the sale price is very very attractive.

SDT

/ How many engine hours is too many engine hours? #10  
Guess I've got a ways to go on my L2250. It's 23 yrs. old and has 406 hrs. on the clock. :)