Kubota QA ????

/ Kubota QA ???? #1  

Mike40

This is a dumb question but I've been looking at this site for a long time gathering information so I thought I would solicit information on this issue. I am about to pull the trigger on purchasing a L3400DT(2009) along with a FEL Model # LA463. My question is whether to get the QA attachment or not? The cost is very minimal as dealer willing to upgrade for $150 and I see on this site some folks paying close to $1000 just to change to that option. My concern as stupid as this may sound is that this loader is not rated to be overly strong anyway so I have been trying to find out how much additional weight the QA system adds which also entails a 66" bucket as opposed to the standard 60" bucket. The main benefit for me to remove the bucket would be increased visibility as I am mowing. I will likely never be moving round bales with this tractor based on what this loader is rated to handle. I just do not want to furthur diminish the capacity this loader is equipped to handle by adding more weight at the bucket area if it was not a wise decision. Had a couple of dealers give me estimated weight of 75/pounds to as much as 200/pounds. Kubota website does not give the weight difference. If it adds 200LBS. of additional weight would that be noticeable? I likely will never remove the front end loader itself and although the pin type bucket will come off most advise it is so difficult to get back on it is not worth it. Thanks for any advice.

/ Kubota QA ???? #2  
I know if my dealer would have offered the QA FEL attachment system to me for $150 I would have been all over it! I don't know how often it would get used but if it was just once it would be worth it for $150 and then again at resale/trade-in time. Just my way of thinkin' :p

Troy

/ Kubota QA ???? #3  
JUMP on the QA without a question.

When I bought my L3400, I asked my dealer for a QA and he wasn't smart enough to know that one does exist for the L3400. The quote to go to an ATI system at the time was $700 or $800.

$150 is peanuts for the things a QA will let you do. The QA bracket on the L3400 does not weigh much more that 80 lb or so as well. Even with the larger bucket, I doubt you will lower the lift capacity enough to negate the extra benefits of a QA.

If you aren't aware, you can shunt the relief valve on your tractor to eek out another 150 lb or so in addition to what you get out the factory. This will negate any loss of lifting power that you might get as a result of putting on the QA and 66" bucket.

/ Kubota QA ???? #4  
I agree with what has been said. The QA is well worth it. I myself spent over $1000 (bought and expensive B26 bucket) to upgrade and it was worth every penny. It's really nice to be able to drop the bucket any time you want. And I never run out of uses for my forks.

Had to do the pin thing to install the QA and although it's not difficult, only an ultra highly motivated person or someone with a LOT of free time would do it with any regularity, in my opinion.

One thing that I've learned is that the LA463 is the same loader as the LA513 with the exception of the actual loader valve, some stickers and the level indicator (you could upgrade to the level indicator from the LA513 if you wanted). Several people have upped their relief pressure with no reported ill effect to get a few extra hundred lbs. of lift. I'm planning on doing the same sometime in the next few months. The loader can take it. The tractor can probably take it, aftermarket loaders offered for the L3400 often have higher capacities than Kubotas.

But also to note, in my experience, if you have a flat spot, pulling the whole loader off is no more difficult than hooking up the average 3 pt implement, without a PTO shaft. It easily takes less than 5 minutes.

Last, it's true the LA463 is somewhat weak but I didn't notice any loss in performance for my needs. I was considering that the QA weighs somewhere around 100 lbs. and projects 3 or 4 inches further out, probably resulting in more that 100 lbs. loss but the loader doesn't seem any weaker to me. Still want more though.

Last, Last, before you pull the trigger make sure you're aware of the problems with the 3 point hitch being too jerky and the machine you are buying meets your expectations. Before you buy it.

/ Kubota QA ???? #5  
I have yet to see anyone say they regretted it or that they wanted to take it off but thousands of posts about adding it after the fact.

/ Kubota QA ????
I appreciate the feedback. Did find some additional information that indicates the additional weight is around 120LBS. Harvest I appreciate the feedback. I have been looking for about 2-3/months now and although the 3pt on the 3400 is a little jerky it is the best tractor for the money in my location. For the most part in this area of Texas it is either Kubota, JD or New Holland and of those 3 I like the Kubota the best. Considered Kioti as well but local dealer is about to stop carrying them. Not too mention the Kubota dealers were more willing to negotiate their prices (some, not much). I had decided on the L2800DT but the transmission driven PTO was something I was not certain I would like in the long run. The price diff to the 3400 was slightly over $1k which gave me more H.P. but also a Live PTO. I may have not noticed the difference but if I noticed it only once it would be enough for me to regret not getting the 3400. Considered the HST but I heard so many pros/cons that I elected to stay with the gear version as it will work just fine for me. I'm assuming this modification to the loader that is mentioned is nothing the dealer actually supports, correct? Would they be willing to do that or does Kubota not approve that modification? Thanks

/ Kubota QA ???? #7  
Mike40, as everyone else agrees, get the QA. Once you have the tractor, you will find other things you need to make life easier, like a set of forks to move pallets, stump bucket, etc.

As far as shimming the relief valve, your dealer can check the pressure and up it to Kubota's recommended limit. They are often set very conservatively from the factory. I'm gonna guess that most dealers won't want to bump it higher than that........ at least while its under warranty. If you want to exceed factory specs a little, I'd say run it for awhile first. You may find it has more than enough lift for you....... then if you want to juice it up a little do so later. Its something a handy guy can do at home.

/ Kubota QA ???? #8  
This is a dumb question but I've been looking at this site for a long time gathering information so I thought I would solicit information on this issue. I am about to pull the trigger on purchasing a L3400DT(2009) along with a FEL Model # LA463. My question is whether to get the QA attachment or not? The cost is very minimal as dealer willing to upgrade for $150 and I see on this site some folks paying close to $1000 just to change to that option. My concern as stupid as this may sound is that this loader is not rated to be overly strong anyway so I have been trying to find out how much additional weight the QA system adds which also entails a 66" bucket as opposed to the standard 60" bucket. The main benefit for me to remove the bucket would be increased visibility as I am mowing. I will likely never be moving round bales with this tractor based on what this loader is rated to handle. I just do not want to furthur diminish the capacity this loader is equipped to handle by adding more weight at the bucket area if it was not a wise decision. Had a couple of dealers give me estimated weight of 75/pounds to as much as 200/pounds. Kubota website does not give the weight difference. If it adds 200LBS. of additional weight would that be noticeable? I likely will never remove the front end loader itself and although the pin type bucket will come off most advise it is so difficult to get back on it is not worth it. Thanks for any advice.

I paid $1700 15 years ago for a ATI and bucket mods. One of the best things I ever did to my tractor. Makes the tractor about 100 times more useful.

Andy

/ Kubota QA ???? #9  
I've had pin type and I've had QA. If your going to take bucket off and on especially by yourself then QA absolutely. Getting the bucket back on by myself with pin type made me not ever want to do it again. Forks on front are really handy if you have a need for them.

/ Kubota QA ????
Out of curiousity does anyone have any experience with the Woods front end loaders? This dealer also sells the Woods and it is rated a little higher as to the lifting specs than the Kubota. Thus far I have elected to stick with the Kubota loader LA463 just based on reputation and those implements also stay in the 0% financing package. Based on the post I have read it also seems to be the loader that is on 90%+ of these L2800/3400 tractors so any recommendations which would be the best. Looks as though the Woods loader would either be the LC96 or 102 model for the L3400.