06 L39 400 hrs VS 05 L48 58 hrs

/ 06 L39 400 hrs VS 05 L48 58 hrs #1  

Beaux Duke

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L48
I had thought I had my mind made up to buy an L39 but at the last minute a great opportunity for a low hours L48 popped up.

Here's the scoop.
Keep in mind my original budget approved by the family accountant (wife) was 20k. ;) At this point I'm only over by 25% but growing.

2006 L39 from Kubota dealer
400 hours Repo from a contractor
S/S QA
2% interest rate

2005 L48 from Mahindra dealer
58 hours Owned by a doctor for his farm ( I wonder)
No S/S QA
2 backhoe buckets (12 & 24)
$1,500 above the L39
8% interest
50 hour service has NOT yet been done.

Dealer is to find out how much to convert to S/S and call me Monday.
I've searched TBN and found a couple threads about converting to S/S but it seems to be pretty expensive. A few threads say it's cheaper to buy a new bucket than convert the older one. Since I need (want) a grapple from Markham I've got to convert. Is the conversion something I might be able to handle? I don't have a welding machine but I have access to one. It's been a long time since I've done any welding.

Do I need an L48? No.
Do I want an L48? Darn tooting.

But then I could probably get by with something smaller than the L39 too. I'm going to need it for a while to clean and prepare a 1.5-2 acre site for a house then after the house is done I'll be cleaning/clearing about 5-7 more acres with no specific time frame. After all that is done it'll probably see more mowing than any other duty but I do have 5 more acres I might clear for some rental property.

So, I'm looking for recommendations for the best choice. I'm stressing out and need outside viewpoints.

Thanks.

/ 06 L39 400 hrs VS 05 L48 58 hrs #2  
A contractor repo with 400 hours is something I would not do unless it was so cheap that I could repair it several times for the savings. I don't care how good machines are if they've been abused. I use my cars and my equipment but the best way that I know to tear it up is to let my brother operate it. I do believe he can tear up a steel ball and there are others like him. Usually an employee that doesn't own or pay for the equipment. Call Barlows.

/ 06 L39 400 hrs VS 05 L48 58 hrs
I did. The L39 is from Brady. He indicated it was in good condition

Last edited:
   / 06 L39 400 hrs VS 05 L48 58 hrs #4  
Another consideration is towing the thing around, and it's accessories.
The L48 runs about 800lbs more than the L39. This might push the limit of 10K if you have to trailer it much.
When I talked to my nearby Kubota dealer he complained about the weight of the L48 as too much weight for under CDL, and for about 600lbs more you can get an L59 (or as he said "almost a real tractor").

One against the L39
One against the L48

I would have thought there were more people on this board with opinions/suggestions.

Thanks for speaking up guys. I value any and all opinions.

/ 06 L39 400 hrs VS 05 L48 58 hrs #6  
Guess I'll vote for the L39. You have already have said you could get by with smaller so unless you really want the HST, the L39 is very capable. When you consider the extra up front dollars, the higher interest rate, immediate modifications needed (S/S) and being over budget the L39 looks good. You do know that to add a grapple you will have to add front hydraulics to either machine. That will add another $550 - $700 dollars.

MarkV

Right, but I'll have to add that to both.

/ 06 L39 400 hrs VS 05 L48 58 hrs #8  
Guess I'll vote for the L39. You have already have said you could get by with smaller so unless you really want the HST, the L39 is very capable. When you consider the extra up front dollars, the higher interest rate, immediate modifications needed (S/S) and being over budget the L39 looks good. You do know that to add a grapple you will have to add front hydraulics to either machine. That will add another $550 - $700 dollars.

MarkV

Having owned the L48, I'd be going for the L39. The L48 had some issues that shall we say, put a bad taste in my mouth. The HST on the L48 was fine, the gear ranges where not acceptable for me. Low was good and low, medium was good and low and high was high but powerless. The slightest incline and you were back in medium at a whopping 4 mph. It also ran well and loved diesel while running well. If the L48 had either a fourth range or a reworked mid range, I might have a different opinion. The funny thing is I was told this by a guy here on TBN who rented a L48 about the L48's forward movement. His comment was that it felt like the loader had a piece of plywood on the front of it keeping it from going forward. I did not take his word for much but found out that after owning it for a couple years, he was right. I sold it and bought a L3830 which happens to have the same engine as the L39. I loved it, wish I still had it. It was absolutley right for my needs. I now have a old L4850, a 5 cylinder Kubota, direct injected. A little loud but oh so powerful.

/ 06 L39 400 hrs VS 05 L48 58 hrs #9  
I got a L48 and so far no issues or problems to report, only have 184hrs on it so far. It hasnt let me down once.

/ 06 L39 400 hrs VS 05 L48 58 hrs #10  
I have one too,. Bought around the time Rat was talking of getting rid of his, and he had told me about the mid range, Well I have had mine about 5 years now maybe a little more, and the mid range speed is terrible. My other complaint is putting in fuel,, Easy to spill and you have to climb up to do it. It has been a flawlessly operating machine and I have no complaints other than fuel and mid range speed,,