L-series vs Grand L

/ L-series vs Grand L #1  

Wyatt-2261

Tractor
Kubota DT245
Can anyone give me the main differences between the L-series and the Grand L and if its worth the extra money for the Grand. Looking at 40 to 45 hp

/ L-series vs Grand L #2  
The Gand L has more high end options Like digital control panel and more transmision options better seat etc. If you are going to be using it a good amount you might want to go with th grand L for the better equipment...

/ L-series vs Grand L #3  
Look at the Grand L on the Kubota website. I just traded mine L3240HST Plus back to Barlows Equipment for a B3200 and the L is a fine machine. Just a bit big for my needs but if I was going to log long hours of seat time with laried jobs it's the one I would want.

/ L-series vs Grand L #4  
I started looking at the L. As I looked and drove I decided on Grand L. The 0% financing going on at the time helped to get into the tractor. I decided on the L4240. I have really enjoyed the Auto trottle and other feathures. The L4240 as more lift capacity from the larger loader than the L3940. If you can swing the additional $ I would go with the Grand L. The Kubota web site has some good info on the features of the Grand L look there. Go try them both and see what you think. Happy shopping.

/ L-series vs Grand L #5  
I do not know the terms ( compact vs subcompact etc) but the L seems to be a class smaller than the Grand L. I love the small size, lighter weight, simplicity and price of my L3400. I just put the 5' snow blower on the 3pt to attack the snow when it stops. With any Grand L I would have needed a much more expensive 6' blower to cover the tracks and 40+HP to run it. It is also the ideal size to run my 12KW generator. If I did not have larger tractors for big jobs I might have opted for the Grand L but the L is very efficient and economical for its applications.

/ L-series vs Grand L #6  
grand L is the loaded caddy, L is the capable chevy malibu.

/ L-series vs Grand L #7  
grand L is the loaded caddy, L is the capable chevy malibu.

That sums it up nicely. My Grand L just hit the 100 hour mark today and it's been the best 100 hours I've spent in any seat including the one on my motorcycle. A buddy of mine got an "L" and it's a nice machine but with no bells and whistles".

b14-3.jpg

DSC03838.jpg

/ L-series vs Grand L #8  
I just hit 200 hrs on my machine, i still (11 months old) cant believe how nice the factory cab is! I worked on athletic fields this week, it was raw with drizzle friday, 39 degrees, saturday was sunny 64 degrees. Both days i was in a tee shirt listening to beatles cd's, crusing over my fields aerating & fertilizing. Here's the kicker, im getting paid for this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

/ L-series vs Grand L #9  
I now have 150+ hours on my Grand L4740 and overall I couldn't be more pleased with this tractor - especially the HST, the 4-wheel drive and the Quick Attach loader system. My only disappointment is that it struggles to lift 1 ton of palleted feed with the pallet forks. (I've come to realize that it's a leverage thing; much of the weight is too far out in front.) But even the 5740 has the same LA854 loader.

After doing *a lot* of research, especially on this forum, I had originally decided on the 4240. However, the 286 Bush Hog I wanted required a bit more PTO horsepower, and the 4740 fit the bill.

Even though the stock Grand is fairly "loaded", I added several optional features in addition to the items listed in my "signature", and am glad that I did: Rear defroster & wiper, side defogger kit, draft control, rear work lights, and of course a stereo & CD player :D

I have only 2 regrets: I didn't have Top-N-Tilt included, as I've been doing a good bit of road box blading and that feature would sure be nice to have. (I now plan to add a hydraulic top link from Carter & Carter Machinery.) And I wish that I had the 3rd function valve on the loader, as I plan to purchase a grapple; naturally it's more expensive to add now.

Hope this helps.

P.S. - Regardless of which model & features you choose, Kubota's insurance is relatively inexpensive; I found it impossible to beat for it's cost & comprehensive coverage.

Last edited:
   / L-series vs Grand L #10  
Only one problem with the Grand L. It absorbs money that could've been spent on a second L or small M.

Two simple tractors beat one that's loaded any day:
-one to do bigger jobs, one to do littler jobs
-one to load the wagon, the other to pull it
-one to disc, one to sow
-one to sow, one to cultipack
-one to shuttle wagons, one to bale
-one to get tractor things done while the other's on the backhoe
-one to get tractor things done while the other's getting serviced
-one to clear the brush after a storm while the other runs the generator
-one to put Mom or No. 1 Son to work, the other to keep you happy
-one to pull the other out of the muck

But the Grand L is really, really nice. Might get one someday myself....someday when I'm a decade or two older....someday when the open station gets too cold in the winter and too hot in the summer....someday when I'm not so d*mn happy about having two good tractors that I actually notice the cold and the heat. :D

Bet LBrown could add some to this post.
Bob