kubota longevity

/ kubota longevity #1  

Anonymous Poster

How long do Kubota tractors (less than 25 hp diesel) generally last before they need rebuilds?
Also, assuming one was well maintained, would 900 hours be excessive or just broken-in?
Thanks.

/ kubota longevity #2  
Fryman,

Age dependent, an 82 /w 900 hours and having oil changed with normal maintenance is still good for lots more work, while the same vintage mistreated is less.

You don't give enough information to make a rational discussion for or against your position, however Kubota units will run for a long time - probably in excess of 4-6000 hours without any engine concerns pending mainatenance and usage.

Carl

/ kubota longevity #3  
what kind of hours was put on it? hard, easy? how old? really need more info for a qualified opinion.

/ kubota longevity #4  
In my opinion, a Kubota diesel with 900 hours on it is just barely broken in. This is assuming it was maintained according to mfr'ers recommendations. I've had twin cylinder gasoline engines with over 2000 hours that were still running strong.

Jeff

/ kubota longevity #5  
At 900 hrs it's about ten percent used up if in those hours the oil has been changed and the filters clean. But if abused 900 hours could be pretty well on it's way to being used up.

My last Kubota had over 7000 hrs on it when I traded it on the one I have now so everything is relative I guess. I've got an old post on here about my last L3750 and the hours on it if your interested.

Gordon

/ kubota longevity #6  
A 1978 B6100Dt, 3000 hard hours and all I've done to it is change the clutch and pressure plate. Guess you could say that I ride the clutch too much.

/ kubota longevity #7  
I recently heard, or read somewhere (probably on another thread here/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif) that the life expectancy of a CUT is about 10000 hours, properly maintained. If the tractor hasn't been maintainted well so far, I would assume that its useful life has been shortened significantly (30% or more), since the first 50-100 hour maintenance routines are so critical to breaking in an engine (as opposed to breaking an engine).

/ kubota longevity #8  
PaulT,
I'd have to agree. I spent alot of time researching the life expectancy of the various diesel engines in CUT's, and most I talked to (right or wrong) state that a Kubota diesel is rated at 8,000 to 10,000 hours. John Deere (Yanmar) diesel engines seem to barely meet 5,000 hours. That is just what I've received as far as input from many dealers (both Kubota and Deere). That is why I went Kubota. I have a friend who owns a nursery and runs structly Kubotas, and many of them he says have run over 5,000 hours with barely a wrench on them. Hope mine will go that far!

/ kubota longevity #9  
It seems like all the nursery people out here in Oregon use Kubota while all the rental people use JD. I think it is a tax deal? Kubotas, as used in nurserys, are expected to last many years while John Deere must have rapid depreciation for rental yards(My guess?) The JDs always look relatively new because they are. This is one reason why I would never buy a rental return JD. They have all had tough lives before you buy one.
I would expect 3000-4000 hours max for a JD rental return and 6000 - 8000 min for non-rental Kubota.

/ kubota longevity #10  
There shouldn't be any difference in depreciation, as far as taxes go. Uncle Sam usually sets a schedule for a class of equipment, no matter how long it actually lasts. If rental yards are using Deere for monetary reasons, I would guess they get better resale from the unit when they retire it, whether it is justified or not. I would agree that buying a used rental machine would be risky. On the one had, the rental place should be doing good maintenance on it to protect their investment. On the other hand, the renters probably don't think twice about abusing them.

Kevin