Dealer New England Dealers

/ New England Dealers #1  

BrianA

Tractor
Hustler Mini Z
I just cannot understand these folks. I go to my local dealer in central New Hampshire and tell the dealer I'm ready to write a check today. I specify that I want a 2710 w/ R4 and FEL. He breaks out the calculator and starts with the "list price" of $17,500, but then he subtracts the 2% "I'm a good guy/the weather nice/we want you business discount" so that brings it down to $17,150. Then he really trys to impress me by subtracting the $700 rebate for a delivered price of $16,450. Clearly he expects to have won my business. Instead I show him the written quote I obtained from the Charlton NY dealer for the same config at a delivered price of $15,300 or $14,800 if I want to take a 4-hour ride to NY. The dealer is not happy and starts to complain about an internet dealer who is hurting the tractor business, I ask if he is referring to Carver, which he was. I told him I had gotten a quote from them but my preference was to keep my business "local". So he asks for time to talk with the boss to see what they can do for me. Bottom line is they come back with a price of $15,800, so $500 more than the NY dealers delivered price or $1000 more if I decide to do a road trip, nearly enough for a 60" mower! Understand, I want to support this local dealer but can't see giving away that amount of extra money. If he was willing to give it to me for the same delivered price of $15,300 I would certainly do it. I've tried two other dealers from NH and one from Maine with similar results from them all. I just can't understand. Isn't a $500 - $700 profit on $15,300 sale better than $0 on a $0 sale?

Am I missing something? I understand warranty and warranty support, but in the 22-years I've had my B7100 it's never had to go back to the dealership. I've been back for parts, filters and other stuff, but the tractor has never missed a beat.

/ New England Dealers #2  
The dance this salesperson is doing sounds like something you'd get at a local car dealership (especially the "talk to the mgr part"). Down here it may be different, but the good dealers I have found start at 18+ percent off of list before the rebate on the tractor. This is a straight quote..not pressuring them with a written quote elsewhere. Also it was done with a, "We'd love to have your business"...not with some childish complaints about competition and whining about the Internet. Just imho, maybe it's just depending on where you live (and how many points in margin the dealer wants).

Regards,
Frank

/ New England Dealers #3  
Brian,

Don't know if you tried East Elliot Garage in Elliot Me - Larry is the owner and the salesman so makes the decision.

I just called him and offered what I thought was a fair price and it was accepted. This was after investigation - Carver and several dealers.

As to the 18% mentioned above thats a huge discount, $3000
on this size deal..

Good Luck and let us know how you make out.

Carl

/ New England Dealers
Carl,

I spoke with Bonnie at E. Eliot who quoted me $17,000 less the rebate for a delivered price of $16,300. I'll try Larry tomorrow. Thanks

/ New England Dealers #5  
Brian,

Bonnie is Larry's wife, nice lady, knows her stuff and keeps things in order there tho she will quote the book price..

It's a family business so nice folk to deal with.

Good luck and let me know how you make out w/Larry.

Carl

/ New England Dealers #6  
I ran into the same problem you did on the same tractor. I also ended up buying from Emerichs. I dealt with Jim Crane. Great people to deal with and right up front with price. Good luck.

/ New England Dealers #7  
WE BOUGHT OUR LAST TOO KUBOTA TRACTORS FROM SALEM FARM SUPPLY IN SALEM NY. JUST OVER THE VERMONT LINE GOOD PEOPLE HAD ONE DELIVERD PICKED UP LAST ONE. WE CANT SEEM TO GET A GOOD DEAL FROM NH, MASS OR MAINE DEALERS. CALL SALEM THEY WILL TAKE GOOD CARE OF YOU. NO BULL THEY HAVE A WEB SITE WWW.SALEMFARMSUPPLY.COM

/ New England Dealers #8  
Brian if you are still looking give Bob Wolfe a call . He runs Woodbury tractor in CT. He is a straightforward guy and he is knowledgeable. (grew up farming) I know he has delivered to parts of NY. I have heard of him driving out to a NY customer on a Sunday to show him how to put on an implement (again) /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif. His # is 203-266-4845. I purchased my B2910 TLB for about $22,000. I cant remember but I think he quoted me 16,500 for the tractor/loader only (no haggling)

/ New England Dealers #9  
I guarantee you that Bob Wolff (Woodbury Tractor) will be the last dealer you will visit. Outstanding service, support and just a pleasure to deal with. Give him a call or better yet visit him in Woodbury!!!

/ New England Dealers
Hmmm, interesting. I will give Bob a call today. I have my configuration finalized and am anxious to place my order.