B3200 v L3400

/ B3200 v L3400 #1  

MikeinMich

I was all set to go with a B3200 until I walked into a dealer ready to buy it and was "bait and switched" into considering an L3400 (not really- the price he gave me on the B3200 was extremely reasonable considering what I had been seeing before). We talked some more about what I was looking to do now (dig out pond, brush hog, landscaping),and might do down the road (hauling logs, tilling, getting a manure spreader) so now I'm stuck. The B3200 turns sharper, but its front end loader will not haul as much. The extra weight on the L3400 is good (but maybe not in my swampy yard ?) and the extra hp in the pto might come in handy for implements later. I like the 3ph valve in the L3400 better than the quarter inch one in the b3200. It's about a 3k difference in price (if the bh is factored in- $2,500 if not). From Kubota's website, the backhoes (bh76 for the 3200 and apparently bh75a for the L3400) look like they dig to the same depth, etc, so I'm not sure what the extra $ for the one for the L3400 gets me (the dealer told me that the L3400 would be better for backhoe work but I'm not sure why).

(BTW - I'm not going to the grand L size- just too big- I still need it to fit in my garage :))

So- any opinions/advice/ratings/road tests ? I know I'll like either one and have regrets no matter what, right?

Thanks in advance for any info!

Mike

/ B3200 v L3400 #2  
I think they'll both be BH76 - it is a replacement for BH75A. L3400 is more meat - if that's what you need. I like the nimbleness of the B series, but the L will have more capacity.
Mike

/ B3200 v L3400 #3  
There are not so many decisions to make here. If you need the weight of the larger tractor, and the little extra loader capacity then go for the "L". There have been complaints about the 3pt hitch on the L2800, L3400, etc. so I'm not sure that the numbers on the control really mean that it is any better than the "B" setup. I would most certainly have the dealer mount something heavy on the 3pt, and play with it a bit before I spent that money. It could be just fine now, or fine for you, but make sure you check it out. I like the B series, and find them to be a good size for the things I need to do, but might want more weight for some of the things you mentioned. It's hard to say for sure about that since we don't really know your land, or projects. Have fun in your search whatever you choose!

/ B3200 v L3400 #4  
The backhoe should be the same BH76 unless he has a BH75 in stock he's trying to get rid of.

The two tractors are night and day, I had a b7800 and now have a L3940. The 7800 was basically half of my current tractor in weight, overal size, lift capacity etc. You can (and should)get the skid steer quick attach on the 3400 loader. It really boils down to, is the bigger size is a help or hinderance.

/ B3200 v L3400 #5  
The backhoe should be the same BH76 unless he has a BH75 in stock he's trying to get rid of.

The two tractors are night and day, I had a B7800 and now have a L3940. The 7800 was basically half of my current tractor in weight, overal size, lift capacity etc. You can (and should)get the skid steer quick attach on the 3400 loader. It really boils down to, is the bigger size is a help or hinderance.

This says it. I agree. I had a B7800 (3 years)and traded it for a L3240HST (1 year) and traded it for a B3200 (last month). I prefer the half the weight and size part. I have hillside and don't do any type farm work. It looks like you have all the needed info to make your decision. Also get the SS QA. The L3400 has very little more HP than the B3200 and the L is twice the weight so the difference is height, size and weight which affects also traction.

/ B3200 v L3400 #6  
I think it sounds like your dealer is steering you towards the tractor that is most appropriate for you. I have a L3400 and for a hobby farm, it is a great tractor.

If finish mowing is not one of the many things you will use your tractor for then that takes away one of the big strengths of the B series. The B's are versitile tractors and their low weight and MMMs make them good machines to also use for finish mowing. Anything other that finish mowing and you WILL appreciate the extra weight.

The L3400 is a bigger beefier tractor and is better suited IMHO to the types of chores you are listing. That is not to say that the B won't do them. I just think that the L3400 will do them better.

Oh and on backhoes. Do not discount something like the Woods BH80X. I think it is better hoe than what Kubota sells and for about the same price.

Yes - put a decent implement on both tractors and check out the 3PT.

I'd dare say that in your swampy areas you are going to be better of with a heavier tractor with Ags for best traction rather than a light tractor. You ain't going to float on the swampy stuff with a lighter tractor to be able to use it like a amphibious vehicle. Be sensible and don't get in there if it is too wet.

When I was looking for a tractor I was set on a B7800 and one dealer talked me out of it and steered me to the L3400. He was definitely suggesting the right thing for me.

/ B3200 v L3400 #7  
I was told the BH75 and BH76 were different. EX. I you have a BH75, it will not fit on a 3200.

/ B3200 v L3400 #8  
I had a B1750 and went to a L3010, big mistake, on flat ground the L3010 was great, add a slight slope and it felt like it was going over. My B1750 dug out a flat spot for a swimming pool that was at the edge and over a hillside with no problem, an area of about 40 feet by 60 feet and about 6 foot deep, only one tree stump and a rock about 4 ft by 5 ft and 12" thick had to be moved by a bobcat. Now the L3010 is gone, looking for a B2910 or B3200.

/ B3200 v L3400 #9  
I had a B1750 and went to a L3010, big mistake, on flat ground the L3010 was great, add a slight slope and it felt like it was going over. My B1750 dug out a flat spot for a swimming pool that was at the edge and over a hillside with no problem, an area of about 40 feet by 60 feet and about 6 foot deep, only one tree stump and a rock about 4 ft by 5 ft and 12" thick had to be moved by a bobcat. Now the L3010 is gone, looking for a B2910 or B3200.

Looks like we share same sentiments toward the L. I started with a BX2200 (1 year) then traded it for a B7800 (3 years) then trade it to a L3240HST (1 year) then traded it to a B3200 last month. I also have hillside and never felt comfortable with the L. Great on flat land but not sure about on hillside property. Have done major jobs with the B's. I personally don't believe any one tractor is great for all jobs so I believe buyers should look at their major ongoing needs and get a tractor for that and hire out the 4% of the time jobs. Contrary to what alot of people on this board say bigger is not always better in my opinion which I've paid the price to have after 8 Kubota purchases in 5 years. Still have 3 of them.

/ B3200 v L3400
Thanks for all of the input from everyone. The more I read about it (and talk to other people around here) the more I think the L3400 will be what I need (more in the future probably than now but if I keep this thing for a long time I'll be better off). No hills to speak of here - except those on the side of the pond http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif - and I certainly can live with the riding mower for the "regular" mowing for a while longer until I get a finish mower for the tractor. I've been up late for days thinking about how to use the backhoe (lots of stumps just sitting there to dig up). My wife doesn't even think it's a question- she thinks the L3400 would be much better (but then she seems to already have caught "tractor envy" and would likely go for an M if we could actually house it anywhere http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/images/smilies/eek.gif

Hopefully then, I'll buy it soon and post pictures. Spent 45 minutes on the phone with our insurance company while they figured out how to get us a rider that would satisfy kubota. Next thing is looking into farm insurance, but one thing at a time, I suppose.