Help Kubota BX25 or JD 2305 again!

/ Help Kubota BX25 or JD 2305 again! #1  

RomeK2

Bronze Member
Tractor
Just sold Hinomoto E16
Hello, I am new to this forum but have read a lot of reviews. I would like to hear your comments on my specific situation. I am new to tractors, 2 years (about 100 Hours). I have owned an old 1979 Hinomoto E16 tractor I purchased from the grey market but recently sold it because I want to upgrade to a TLB. I am in the process of purchasing either a Kubota BX 25 or John Deere 2305. I like both machines and tried them both out. Here is my situation (cutting to the chase):

I prefer the Kubota machine (very slight edge), however the local salesman (Albuquerque) New Mexico won't budge on his original quote $17,900. This gives me an indication of how willing perhaps the dealer is willing to work with you. He claims the service more than makes up for it. He also stated should I but from another dealer and need local service I would have to go to the end of the line behind all of his lawn mower customers. I did not apply to pre-approve my financing.

I really like the JD 2305 as well. The dealer has been willing to negotiate my crazy offers and we are very close to agreeing in price (which is upgrading the 200xFEL to a 200CX FEL and throwing in a canopy. Also they are more expensive ($18,500). My financing with JD has been approved.

I found another Kubota dealer (Colorado) via telephone about 5 hours away who has quoted me the TLB with canopy and work lights for $16900 plus $400 delivery. Both Kubota dealers occaissonally deal with each other. My financing with Kubota has been approved.

My questions are:

Do I need that local Kubota dealer relationship?
Is JD worth the extra money?
What are the chances something goes wrong with these 2 machines right away?
Does JD cost more to maintain? and does their implements cost more?

Thank you for your replies (in advance).:)

/ Help Kubota BX25 or JD 2305 again! #2  
The little bit of shopping I did, it always seems green cost a little more. As far as implements go, most of them can be something other than Deere.

For the Kubota you might try to go to the local dealer and see if he will throw in the canopy and the work light for his price. Be up front with him and tell him you have a better deal elsewhere. I don't think there is anything saying you have to buy local. The dealer shouldn't favor other people for service over you, but that doesn't mean he won't. Alot of this depends on how handy you are about doing your own repairs and service..I would expect both machines to be very realible in the first several years, but you never know.

/ Help Kubota BX25 or JD 2305 again! #3  
Deere for a few years could talk resale value but at this point you might have to look hard to find a point in their direction. So basically you are telling us you are willing to give more because it is a deere.

The more I price, the chances of finding someone to give me a lower price goes up.

I can't think of any reason a person wouldn't take care of their own problems before another dealers, would you?

That doesn't mean you won't get what you need, but red,green, blue, orange or yellow, thats life. Any dealer will do what he can to help you.

/ Help Kubota BX25 or JD 2305 again! #4  
I looked at both tractors (minus BH) when I bought my BX. The kubota was $1700 less and although I liked the ergos of the loader better on the JD, I bought the BX for price (almost paid for the MMM) and the dealer was much better. The Kubota dealer here is small and you deal with the owner. Nice guy too. The JD dealer is a fairly new one who has his main dealership 45 minutes away. Felt more like buying a car than a tractor. I would be happy with either so price and dealer make the difference. Dealer more than price if they are fairly close.

/ Help Kubota BX25 or JD 2305 again! #5  
i don't like the attitude of the dealer who says you have to go to the end of the line if you don't buy from him. to me, that is bull. you should always go to the end of the line no matter where you buy from.

service dept is separate from sales. it is a separate profit center and usually is run by a different manager unless it is a smaller dealer. either way, when you call or come in to make a service appt, you should get the next slot in line (the end of the line at that point).

sure, some operations will run two separate lines, a commercial line and a private line so their commercial customers aren't down and losing money during the busy season. other places it is first come, first served no matter who you are.

unless their reputation is soooo awesome or there is some other compelling reason swaying you, saying your service experience will suffer just because you don't buy from him is a vote to shop elsewhere in my book.

amp

/ Help Kubota BX25 or JD 2305 again! #6  
i don't like the attitude of the dealer who says you have to go to the end of the line if you don't buy from him.

I agree. Even if it's common knowledge that having something serviced at someplace different from where you purchased it may elicit some form of prejudice, making that statement almost seems to suggest there are two different standards of service the dealer provides and they seem to take a bit of pride in that, which I find troubling.

I am also curious how critical the local dealer plays into such a transaction.

/ Help Kubota BX25 or JD 2305 again! #7  
Check the availability of the attachments and accessories you'll need.
Several folks are building accessories for the BX. Far fewer for the 2305.

/ Help Kubota BX25 or JD 2305 again! #8  
I am in sales (not tractors) and knowing sales people, most are interested only in getting the sale, and anything they can say to sway you towards a sale is all that matters. When he tells you the going to the back of the line policy, it might be true, although I believe like others have stated that service is usually a seperate department and your money is as good as the next guys, I think his line is just to scare you from thinking of going elsewhere. I just purchased not from my dealer 10 minutes from my place, but another dealer about 50 minutes from my place. Although he is close to an hour away, he said if there was a problem, the first time he would come out for free to pickup my tractor and after that, there would be a $75 charge if future calls were needed. The guy 10 minutes away, aside from being more of a slimey type sales person, wanting a couple of hundred more on each item (tractor, mmm, snow blower, extra wheels and tires), wouldn't budge on price, was busy and usually didn't have time for me....wanted $50 to pickup and service the tractor if ever there was a problem. For the extra $25 delivery fee, it is well worth it because the whole experience was much better and over the next 10 to 15 years, I really do not anticipate many problems which I can't deal with myself and need to pay this extra $25. Go with the total package....that being the one that gives you a decent price, treats you like a customer (not someone who threatens you), seems reputable and you feel best about. Good luck!