live vs independent PTO

/ live vs independent PTO #1  

argeaux

Tractor
Researching my first purchase (thinking of a B3200)
Can someone elaborate on the practical advantage/disadvantages of live PTO verses other options?

Does this mean, for example, if you have a live PTO and a rear mower, you cannot disengage the blade without stopping the tractor?

/ live vs independent PTO #2  
Independent PTO will keep running the implement as long as it is engaged regardless of actions taken with tractor speed or clutch. On some gear tractors two stage clutch depressed half way lets you shift gears yet the PTO keeps running. Push the clutch all the way and it stops power to the PTO.

On live PTO when the clutch is depressed the PTO drive is disengaged. On gear tractors with a single stage clutch and live PTO when you push the clutch to shift gears or change direction the implement is not powered until the clutch is engaged again.

On hydro tractors it is a bit different tho. Live pto will keep running while you can change the speed of the tractor at will with the hydro pedals, but you must stop to engage and disengage it. It will also disengage when the clutch is depressed for change of 2WD-4DW or HI-MED-LOW range.

On independent PTO hydro tractors the PTO engage/disengage happens with a separate button or lever that does not require you to stop the machine. It will keep running the PTO until disengaged regardless of actions taken with pedals.

I'm not sure if this is all correct and if that is the official explanation, but as far as I know that if how it works.

/ live vs independent PTO
So basically with most Kubotas, the main difference is, if you want to stop the PTO, you have to stop the tractor unless you have an independent PTO, which I guess is mainly on the TLB models?

So unless you have a need to disengage the PTO while moving, it really doesn't matter much?

/ live vs independent PTO #4  
The example I can think of and it has been mentioned here before. On a gear tractor with a single stage clutch that has live PTO if you have a 3PH mowing deck it will not have power going to it when you press the clutch to change directions. Then you have to spin up the mower again. I guess there may be some other factors too. I'm not familiar with the major advantages of the independent PTO because I don't have it. Although on my hydro tractor I don't need it for my uses. Hopefully someone with more experience will say a word or three on the subject.
As far as what models have what type of PTO or clutch is easy to find out on the Kubota site.

/ live vs independent PTO #5  
i thought the difference between the two was the way they were activated. with live pto you push the clutch in and push a lever then let the cluth out. after that the pto will keep going even if you push the clutch in. to deactivate the pto, you push in the clutch then pull the lever back to where it was. then the pto will stop. with independent pto you can engage the pto anytime by moving a lever. no need to push the clutch in at all. without live pto you push in the clutch, then move a lever to activate the pto. every time you push the clutch in the pto will stop. i may be wrong.

/ live vs independent PTO #8  
It really is a fine piece of writing - very clear and easy to understand. According to Ronnie Bowman at TractorSmart (actually Keller Brother Kubota) this article on pto types was written by his brother. I think it explains the types very well - it ought to be on a sticky somewhere here as required reading for all tractor shoppers.

There is one point in the article about lever-controlled mechanical pto clutches and how leaving them disengaged can wear out the engine's crank thrust bearings. Ronnie told me this was based on an incident with an older small Massey tractor that was brought to their shop. It is apparently not an issue on Kubotas due to their massively over-designed and force-oiled crank bearings.