BX2360 or B Series? (I know you all get tired of these)

/ BX2360 or B Series? (I know you all get tired of these) #1  

kmanvt

Bronze Member
Early last year I researched for a few months and finally decided on the BX2350 because they were being replaced by the BX2360 and the prices were pretty good. Then this recession thing hit and money got tight. Thanks to God, I made it through a reduction at work and things seem to be getting slowly better. My plan was to get a tractor next spring when I had most things paid off, but our cheap riding mower had other plans. Now the new BX models are out and then there is the B series.

The tractor will be used mostly for mowing about 2+ acres right now, but our plans is to eventually have about 3-4 more acres in various berries on our farm (have a "you pick" operation and sell some on the weekends in the summer). These 3-4 acres will be put out gradually (.25-.5 acre at a time) and will need to be mowed between the rows, two passes. I had thought about getting a small 3 pt tiller (24 to 32? to create the rows. The only other thing the PTO might be used for is a sprayer. Two of the dealers I spoke with thought the BX2360 would be able to handle what I needed instead of stepping up to the B2320 or B2620. (Also I already have a large tractor with loader for the bigger work, NH TN75).

What would be the fuel usage difference between the BX2360 and the B2320/2620? (The weight is almost the same between the two). Would the additional forward gear on the B series really help that much? Has Kubota fixed the sudden jerk on the BX series when coming to a stop from reversing? The step up difference of $2500 (B2320) and $3500(B2620) is quite a jump, is it worth it?? The fold down ROPs would be a plus on the B series when mowing under the trees in the orchard. Is there anything else I need to consider? Thanks

Last edited:
   / BX2360 or B Series? (I know you all get tired of these) #2  
If you didn't already have a larger tractor with a FEL then I would definitely say the B series 2620. Since you already have the larger tractor then I would suggest that you play on both the BX and B series and see which one will satisfy your needs. Good luck and have fun! I doubt you'll be disappointed with a Kubota brand tractor as long as you do your homework. :p

Troy

/ BX2360 or B Series? (I know you all get tired of these) #3  
One big advantage of a B would be the tire size. Will it be fairly smooth where you are mowing. I'm just thinking a B may be a little smoother if it is bumpy when mowing. A BX will handle pretty big bumps O.K., maybe just not as well as a B would. I have a BX and from what you describe, I think it would handle everything you need.

/ BX2360 or B Series? (I know you all get tired of these) #4  
As a point of reference, I'm a homeowner that tinkers obsessively with my 2 acres, 1 of which is wooded. On other 'grassy' acre, I'm doing normal homeowner duties (mowing, planting, mulching, etc.) as well as some fairly major projects (paver patio, garden, irrigation, low voltage lighting, etc.).

The BX is PERFECT for what I do. Big enough to get the job done efficiently, but small enough to not look silly on my property. I'm making a home for my new-to-me 19' travel trailer and just last night, I moved 2 CY of triple shread mulch and about 1,500# of leftover paver bricks in about 45 minutes. Without my BX tractor, I would have spent all day on that single endevour. As it was, I did it in my "good pants" while the kids watched the Little Einsteins. Pretty powerful.

THAT SAID, I think the B Series would be far more appropriate for your use for multiple reasons. The BX is great for up to 2 acres, I'd say. Beyond that, a smaller B is more appropriate. If I was dealing with 3 to 4 acres, I'd have a B. The price differential is very appropriate given the difference in capability (tire size, ground clearance, hydraulic capabilities, lifting force, etc.)

I'd absolutely go with a B in your case.

/ BX2360 or B Series? (I know you all get tired of these)
How well does the B series mow in the high speed? When I tested the BX2350 it seemed like the top speed on it was a little slow compared to my riding mower that I was used to.

/ BX2360 or B Series? (I know you all get tired of these) #6  
I'm just guessing here, but I bet you were in low range when you say it was slower than a riding mower. In high range, the ground speed is something like 8 or 9 mph, which is way to fast to mow. Sometimes I mow in low range, sometimes high range. Thats whats nice about the HST, you can control the speed easy.

/ BX2360 or B Series? (I know you all get tired of these) #7  
I've had both a BX, and now a B series. The BX will handle all the chores you have outlined just fine. It is more a matter of the size of your tasks than the size of your land sometimes. The height of the fixed ROPS on the BX isn't much higher than the folded height if at all on a B. I would check that before you assume that it is. The BX makes a good mower, spayer, tiller with the size implements you speak of. The mmm on the B may be easier, and quicker to remove, and service if that is important at all, and on rough ground I do like my B much better as it is more stable, and tolerant of changes in the ground surface. It is also better balanced with FEL loads, but that isn't a concern of yours. The extra money could be well spent on other implements like shredders for trimmings, etc. perhaps. I expect that both mow about the same quality wise since the set ups are quite similar, and both use the same size deck.. I haven't mowed with either so I'm not really qualified to speak to that from experience.. yet. If you intend to put out larger berry bushes later that might benefit from a small backhoe, the BX25 is about the least expensive game in town so that might be worth a moment's thought too.

/ BX2360 or B Series? (I know you all get tired of these) #8  
LOL.. Well, I'm using a John Deere 125 riding mower to handle at least 8 acres of mowing and have been doing it this way now for three years. I would think even the BX series would be plenty good enough for mowing 2 acres.

IMG_9271.jpg

Yea, I know I need a tractor, which is why I'm hanging out here, doing my research and figuring out what to get...

/ BX2360 or B Series? (I know you all get tired of these) #9  
Take the BX; Your delinma is the same as mine and that's exactly what I plan. Argeau you truly need a tractor and with the time saved you can spend more time on TBN!

/ BX2360 or B Series? (I know you all get tired of these)
Thank you all for the input! I think I'm leaning toward the BX right now because of the price and that the BX2360 is supposed to be an improved version of the BX2350, which I thought had great reviews from my prior research. The local dealer has the B2620 and the BX2360 sitting side by side right now on the lot. Hopefully I can go by in the next couple of days and get a good look at both. I'll keep you all updated.

Another question:
Is the fuel economy about the same between the two?