How to check HST when buying a used tractor

/ How to check HST when buying a used tractor #1  

rbargeron

Elite Member
Tractor
L5450, L48, L3250, L345
When buying a used Kubota (about 400 hours) is there a way to check the health of the HST? Do they make any telltale noises if they need work? Anything to look for besides leaks?

/ How to check HST when buying a used tractor #2  
I've been checking this tread for a response! I hope someone who works in a service dept. will chime in. This would be great to know!!

/ How to check HST when buying a used tractor #3  
Better yet, is there a checklist of things to look for and test on a tractor for those of us who are new to this?

/ How to check HST when buying a used tractor #4  
When buying a used Kubota (about 400 hours) is there a way to check the health of the HST? Do they make any telltale noises if they need work? Anything to look for besides leaks?

Dick, as one who has about 1200 hours of time on HST I would know what I think is a "responsive" HST versus one that is getting sluggish. My L48 had about 600 hours on it when I sold it. At 600 hours there was absolutely no difference in its performance compared to when new other than my ability to operate it. I got pretty good at manuvering that tractor to the point I could pick the fly poop out of the pepper. When I got my L3830 HST, I put about 700 hours on it prior to selling it and as much as I liked as well as hated certain things about the L48's HST, the L3830 was so much better, it was superb. At 700 hours there was no differnece in function on the L3830's HST. If I were to criticize anything about HST it would be the extra fuel consumption you use to have such absolute positive control over the tractor. I took years to research tractors prior to getting one. My concern about this new fangled HST was its longevity. I heard all the partisan stuff from folks that said a 10 cent O ring could cost you $2000 to repair. It certainly worried me. I talked to Georges tractors in Redding, CA. Sacramento Tractor and Gold Country Tractor in Auburn for the scoop. None had at that time ever had a rebuild on a HST. They even went as far as to look up in the Kubota database for repaired HST's. There were some with factory flaws. The course of repair was to remove the HST and get a factory rebuilt unit. The cost was about $2000 lock stock and barrell to replace with the factory rebuilt.

So to answer the question, I don't think there is a definitive way to verify the transmissions health other than to have someone familiar with HST in the brand you are considering drive it and say "it seems sloopy" or "it seems normal as mine". I often want to find folks with an "old" HST and drive it to see how it performs after say 2000 hours. What I have found is that most folks average way less time on their tractors than I ever did. I'm still using my L4850. That 5 cylinder diesel is as good as the day we bought it in 1992. I do want to have you look at my front steering tie rods and tell me if yours look like mine. I think mine need replacing! I'll send you a picture. RaT.....

/ How to check HST when buying a used tractor #5  
back the tractor up against somthing that can't move (a tree) and push the pedal to the floor and see if it pushes into relief. If it can't, the pump is on its way out. You can try this with the brakes too, but often on older tractors the brakes can't stop the tranmission. We don't see many bad HST's in Kubota's unless the tractor is neglected, bad ones are much more common in Lawn and Garden tractors.

/ How to check HST when buying a used tractor
Thanks for the replies - I should say why I asked the question. A friend has been tractor searching for a while. He has a B7500HST but wants a bigger machine. I've been the "consultant" - but I know zip about HST's.

He found an L3130 on Craigslist with under 400 hours, HST, FEL, R1's, 5' Brush Bull, Forks and 7' front snow plow - asking price was $14k. It looked great, and appeared to operate fine, but as backup I posted here about checking the HST. I was wondering if there might be a reason for the low price - a dealer a few miles away had 3 similar used machines - $17k-$18k asking price without implements.

It looks like my friend was just lucky to find it and pounce first. The machine seems perfect - except a ripped dust boot on one tie rod. The HST seems to respond instantly - and the rotary cutter is in great condition underneath - good signs of an easy life.

I have been watching for market softening because of the economy - maybe this was a case of a seller in a hurry for cash. Final price was $13k - outstanding deal I think.

Last edited:
   / How to check HST when buying a used tractor #7  
So to answer the question, I don't think there is a definitive way to verify the transmissions health other than to have someone familiar with HST in the brand you are considering drive it and say "it seems sloopy" or "it seems normal as mine". I often want to find folks with an "old" HST and drive it to see how it performs after say 2000 hours.

I agree, it is tough to verify internal health of the HST, other than it works
or it does not.

Years ago when I was hunting for my 1st tractor, I was worried about the
health of a used HST, too. I knew nothing about their reliability or how they
failed. I assumed costs to replace/rebuild were much higher than for
anticipated failures in a gear tractor. My assumptions were mostly wrong,
as I have learned since then, after owning, operating, and fixing numerous
HST tractors. The reality is a used and abused tractor with a gear trans
is likely to need a new clutch, which a very labor-intensive job. HSTs have
proven to be VERY reliable, as long as they have plenty of clean hyd fluid.
HSTs are quite fixable, too, and may not cost as much as you think.

My B21 project had 2400hrs or so on its HST, and it was is great shape. I
am about to crack open another HST on a project tractor...this time a JD
4300, the model that came just before the "eHydro".

RAT, tell me more about your comparison of the L48's HST with the Grand L's
HST.

/ How to check HST when buying a used tractor #8  
After getting the L48 I figured I had everything. I soon realized that medium was way to slow for loader and mowing and high was all but useless except for no incline road travel. I used the L48 for blade work in which it was superb. For moving dirt from point A to point B was fine unless B was over 75' away. I sold the L48 for a great price. I immediately bought a L3830 HST which is has the same L48 engine just one cylinder less. The HST worked so much better. Medium did 80% of my work. Low (L48's medium) was great for my 1400lb box blade. High worked so much better that I kid you not, there were times I would be mowing in high range on my steep terrain and not know I was in high. The L48's high range acted like the parking brake was on, it was that weak. This has been commented on by more than just myself. I am quite curious how the eHydro works on tractors like the L45.

I agree, it is tough to verify internal health of the HST, other than it works
or it does not.

Years ago when I was hunting for my 1st tractor, I was worried about the
health of a used HST, too. I knew nothing about their reliability or how they
failed. I assumed costs to replace/rebuild were much higher than for
anticipated failures in a gear tractor. My assumptions were mostly wrong,
as I have learned since then, after owning, operating, and fixing numerous
HST tractors. The reality is a used and abused tractor with a gear trans
is likely to need a new clutch, which a very labor-intensive job. HSTs have
proven to be VERY reliable, as long as they have plenty of clean hyd fluid.
HSTs are quite fixable, too, and may not cost as much as you think.

My B21 project had 2400hrs or so on its HST, and it was is great shape. I
am about to crack open another HST on a project tractor...this time a JD
4300, the model that came just before the "eHydro".

RAT, tell me more about your comparison of the L48's HST with the Grand L's
HST.