Thoughts on Options

/ Thoughts on Options #1  

Tractorfind

Here are the two used machines I am looking at for my first purchase. New is out of the question due to cost. Option #1 is an '03 BX1500, LA181 Loader, 5' Rear Blade and a 54" mower with 590 well maintained hours. Option #2 is a '84B6000 4WD, Loader, 5' Rear Blade and also a 54" mower with 529 well maintained hours. After looking at respective specifications (HP, weight, and other capacities) they seem equal in capability. The B6000 is $1800 less so I am leaning in that direction. Your thoughts.

/ Thoughts on Options #2  
Though the specs on the two machines are similar, they are somewhat different tractors. It seems you have found a couple of reasonable, and solid tractors so now the question is which attributes are more important to you. If clearance, and a tougher underbelly are important, I would lean towards the B6000. If mowing, and loader work on reasonably smooth ground is more important, I would lean towards the power steering, and nimbleness of the BX1500. It is proably going to be easier to find things like snowblowers for, etc. too.

/ Thoughts on Options
I am hesitant to spend the "extra" $1800 on the BX, However, am I comparing two very different animals here? The specifications do not suggest such, however, that is what prompted my question here as the numbers rarely tell the story. I understand the loader would be more difficult to operate without power steering but to perform similar tasks (mowing, snow removal, fire wood, and other miscellaneous property work) on relatively mild terrain is the B6000 inferior in that regard? How well does a B6000 mow? I am not likely interested in a snow blower.

/ Thoughts on Options #4  
If you are headed into the woodlot with it for firewood, get the B6000. My woods, and somewhat rough land are the reason I went from a BX to a B, and I haven't been sorry...... I'm not sure how they would compare mowing.

/ Thoughts on Options #5  
My 2 cents.......... buy the BX. As far as I know, all B6000s had the goofy reverse turning rear PTO, and took proprietary implements which are no longer available. Back when they were new, someone made a PTO reverser for them (so that it would be possible to run common attachments) , but today you'll never find one. Imagine owning a tractor that could never run a small brush chipper,rear mower,bush hog, etc.

/ Thoughts on Options #6  
Here are the two used machines I am looking at for my first purchase. New is out of the question due to cost. Option #1 is an '03 BX1500, LA181 Loader, 5' Rear Blade and a 54" mower with 590 well maintained hours. Option #2 is a '84B6000 4WD, Loader, 5' Rear Blade and also a 54" mower with 529 well maintained hours. After looking at respective specifications (HP, weight, and other capacities) they seem equal in capability. The B6000 is $1800 less so I am leaning in that direction. Your thoughts.
Since tractorhouse has some BX1500's advertised for < $8K
"500 Hours; 15 hp; 4WD Drive; sharp tractor with loader and 54" mower, PS"
the price difference is probably about a third (or more) of the B6000. If it's as well maintained as you say get it as a learning tool.

/ Thoughts on Options
I was unaware of the reverse pto issue. Are there older B model owners out there that would care to elaborate on the short comings of that particular issue? I am trying to be savvy about the dollars I am spending but if the more modern machine is simply a better buy then I will take a harder look at the 1500. It is difficult to know at this particular time as to whether I will be interested in rear pto attachments beyond what comes with the machine. Are parts (for mowers) and supplies difficult to find for the B6000?

/ Thoughts on Options #8  
I keep reading this post but finally have to respond. 19 years older! 25 years old! Metal and wiring and rubber seals that are 19 years younger has got to have some type of value that you should also give a hard look at. Parts? One unattainable part could put you into scrap metal value or to what another owner is trying to find a part for value. Contact your Kubota service department and ask them about parts availability. Ask a dealer how much trade in they'll give you toward a new machine for each one of them to determine their vaue in case you decide they are not what you want. Course I will have to admit that I've bought 8 new Kubotas in 5 years and over 110 cars in 45 years. Used makes me sweat.:) I have a 90 Cadillac Allante that costs a premium for any part needed if the part can even be found so the old stuff doesn't have as much appeal to me because of personal experience. Had a BX1500 and they are a grand machine. If your first Kubota tears up often you my not think in terms of it's 25 years old and then be a disgruntled tractor owner. What's the true value to you of $1800?

/ Thoughts on Options #9  
To me this is a no brainer. The BX definitely just due to age. I know if I bought the older one something would break the first week and I'd be searching the world for parts. One of my cars is a '62 and trying to find original parts is not impossible but very expensive.
This tractor is something you may keep for years, buy the newer one and have fun.:)

/ Thoughts on Options
JOHNTHOMAS --- I came to your same conclusion yesterday. I did call a few local dealers and spoke to many current owners of both or similar machines. I sat on and used both for a brief period and actually liked both. They are, however, different machines in a lot of ways. In the end, I decided to buy the 1500 though the B6000 is in unbelievable shape and all the "questionables" have been serviced, updated or replaced with original Kubota parts. The minute I decided to go with the 1500 the B6000 was gone to the second inquirer. It was that good but the 1500 simply meets my "needs" in a more complete manner. Thank you to all who replied to this posting.