Kubota model 355?

/ Kubota model 355? #1  

leoniru

Tractor
L 48 TLB
Can anyone confirm whether or not Kubota made a model 355 tractor during the early '80's?
If so, any comments on the general (or specific) attributes or weaknesses of this machine would be greatly appreciated.
This machine supposedly has about 1500 hours on it with a heavy duty loader. Worst thing is the 'faded paint' per heavy equipment dealer who has it. Asking $7,500.00. I'm going to eyeball it tomorrow, but as I've never even operated ANY compact utility tractors, I'm in need of as much advice/info as I can get.
In particular, can a frame-mounted backhoe be added to this machine? If so, what kind of performance can I expect?
Any references as to where I might find specs would be appreciated. (I realize a Kubota dealer should have this knowledge, but am reluctant to contact any as my guess is that once they realize there's no potential sale in it for them, they'd be less than talkative).
Thanx,

Jim

/ Kubota model 355? #2  
Yes, Kubota produced the L355DT during the early eighties. I beleive it was @ 36horsepower 4 cylinder deisel and came in both 2wd and 4wd. They had 4 speed non synchronised transmissions, with a hi/lo range splitter. Power steering was an option, but was still real weak. The 3PT hitch had both draft and position controls and quite strong. They had a two speed live PTO (540/1000), was driven thru a two stage clutch.

We've had the next size down (L345DT with @1600 hours), equipped with the kubota heavy duty loader and Kubota subframe backhoe for the last twenty two years and it has been a great TLB. In that time, the only maintenance it has had, have been one clutch (do to loaning it to an inexperianced operator), the steering ball joints have been replaced twice. And its front axle seals, probably its worst weakness, have had to be replaced twice. only dislikes, non synchronised tranny and weak steering.

A note on the kubota backhoe for this model. they were only PTO driven (not a bad thing). But hard to remove, for 3PT operation. Not real strong, and terrible pins and bushings, no matter how much grease you use. I would recomend an aftermarket backhoe such as a Woods 7500. Much better performance.

As far as resale value. I was offered $10000 two months ago, for the tractor loader and backhoe.That was trade in value on a New Holland TC29, from a dealer. By the way I turned that offer down, and told him I thought that she still had another twenty years in her as my backup tractor.

/ Kubota model 355?
Kodiak;

Thanks for the info--- I was beginning to think my question had no merit in the eyes of the Kubota Gurus!
I'm going to look at this machine today. am told that (just as you pointed out) a front axle seal had to be replaced by the dealer (and the bearing). Claims it has HST or shuttle shift tranny? Did they have that back then?

Jim

/ Kubota model 355? #4  
They did have a shuttle shift. [censored] good tractor. Most of the axle issues are minor, but it was the weakest point of this awesome old tractor. Wait until you dig in, your gonna love it!

/ Kubota model 355? #5  
Hi Jim - I'll chime in too - my first Kubota was an L345DT - the model just below the 355. I had no problems except by not keeping the clutch properly adjusted, I wore it out prematurely. I didn't think the steering was all that weak - unless there was a ton of stone in the bucket. I sold it to a neighbor - but I borrow it back every year to sweep my driveway (have a sweepster that I've never converted to fit my L5450)

Sounds like a good deal to me. Take care

Dick

/ Kubota model 355? #6  
Before Kubota started putting their name on backhoes built by Woods. They weir offering a cheaper built version, made somewhere in Kansas. Don't remember the name brand. But definitely not up to the Woods/Kubota standards. This was late 70's or early eighties. I bought my L345DT brand new in June of 1980, equipped with one. It has been rebuilt several times, but still digging.

/ Kubota model 355? #7  
355SS [shuttle shift]. Good tractor. Kubota and Woods 3 point backhoes have an awfull lot in common /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif Front axle seals are a common weak point, even on the newer models.

/ Kubota model 355? #8  
Geeze, I did'nt even get a chance to change the way I said that..................