From MF to Kubota B2920...

/ From MF to Kubota B2920... #1  

Tompet

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ferguson TO 20, Kubota B3300, BH77, Massey Ferguson 1540
I hope this story not too long for you guys, but i wanted to make all points at once...so here it goes.
I was disappointed when MF/Agco came out with a 2610 on same GC platform rather than upgrading their underutilized 1523 model with same TLB design that went into the GC series. IMO put their 28hp Iseki on 1523 platform and they would really have something to compete with JD and Kubota at that size CUT.
Anyway, I wasn't going to wait for that idea, so on Sunday over Memorial Day weekend I took delivery of a new B2920 TLB. Traded in a (170 hrs.) MF2310 TLB as part of the deal...anyone looking for a clean tight running MF2310 (the newer model with 3rd hose to BH which really ramped up power) with no problems contact Barlow's. I saw Barlow's was also an MF dealer which made trade much easier than local Kubota dealers.

The engineering/ergonomics on the 2920 IMO are impressive. Kubota's swivel seat is great! Grease fitting layout on BH...super! I specified the 12" bucket on BH which turns out was same size/capacity as the 10" I had on the MF...small disappointment. I could trade out for the 16" bucket, but I'm more inclined to keep since I have it. Anyone with B65 BH have opinion after using a 16"?

Too soon to tell items: I had ags on the MF and now bar on the Kubota, I get a little sense of the traction difference, but I don't think it will be an issue?. I thought tires were going to be filled, but they were not...at this point also not an issue.
On the FEL capacity with bucket size being listed as 50" over the MF 48", I did not expect much difference with volume but was surprised that there was a noticeable difference.
One thing the MF beats Kubota on is the BH stock stabilizer flip pads for footprint and design.
I am waiting for delivery of pin-on bucket brackets which were not installed. Once I get them I'll probably purchase fork attachment. See "Bolt on Fork" thread under Kubota Owning/Operating for set of modified Payne's Forks...pm if interested.

Could be my imagination or the fact I have not really run it at full rpm as manual suggests, but the 2310 utilized all it's power like a little tank while with the 2920 you get a sense of more power but that some of it is being held back from implements. I am going to check flow pressures.
The only problem which I noticed right off the truck and stopped to tell driver is that the hydro not only whines, but SCREAMS in hi range and a little in mid range at certain rpm's. I'll nail down exact rpm's causing problems but the following estimates are close.
Now I could understand if it did it at low rpm's 1100-1300 in high range, but if you start off at those low rpm's in high or mid range it just purrs along. But start off around 1500-2000 rpm's it SCREAMS. Then, if you start off from or increase rpm's to 2200-2500 it's back to quiet running. Has anyone else experienced this?
I'm not too concerned yet and think it can be worked out. I've read everything from harmonic vibration to 1st hydro fluid change to more running time may help, but I do want to find cause of this sooner rather than later. If anyone has suggestions...please post.

Overall, I am happy with the tractor and dealing with Barlow's was a pleasant experience. Hopefully, it will be a long while before I contemplate the next tractor! Prior to GC2310 I had a GC2300 with a Wood's hoe and it had foreseeable problems so I traded for the improved 2310 which was great, but I wanted something a little heavier constructed with more ground clearance. I still have Ferguson TO20 which was last thing from farm my dad grew up on.
By the way the used RTV 900 with new snow blade was purchased by a friend of mine. I told her she wouldn't get a better deal and have it delivered, to my house, at same time with tractor so I could test it out for her! Whew, that's enough writing.

Attachments

• 2310-right small.jpg
    2310-right small.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 1,805
  • Delivery-553.jpg
    Delivery-553.jpg
    272.8 KB · Views: 2,546
  • Kubota-34-Lt.-578.jpg
    Kubota-34-Lt.-578.jpg
    304.3 KB · Views: 2,527
  • kubota-bh-extended568.jpg
    kubota-bh-extended568.jpg
    305.9 KB · Views: 2,105
   / From MF to Kubota B2920...
Hey newbury, it's got some dirt on it now. Those pix from Memorial weekend.
I know it was a long post, but any experience, comments, opinions from other owners on hydro whine and rpm's where it occurs?
Anyone with BH65 and 16" bucket?
TP

/ From MF to Kubota B2920... #4  
My 2920 only whines under a heavy load if I don't have the RPM's up high enough (only in M and HI). Otherwise it is a great machine, I just moved 10 tons of clear stone after work, I wish I had the tires filled, and might do so before winter.
Welcome, and congrats on your new purchase! If your friend does not want that RTV let me know!

/ From MF to Kubota B2920... #5  
Mine whines a bit too but is only noticeable in High range which I seldom use. Beautiful machine you have there and the old one wasn't too shabby either!

/ From MF to Kubota B2920... #6  
Tompet,

Welcome to TBN! and Kubota!

She looks great, now dont be shy - go ahead and post lots of pics - cuz we loooovee pics!

Question for you - was that your trailer in the picture? Why I ask - I trailer mine to my other property and have had a very very hard time finding places to hook my chain to. I have been using my front grill guard frame plate however the rear is a mystery to me on where to hook up to.

If you (or anyone else with a 2X20) have any suggestions please let me know.

Be safe,

~jim

/ From MF to Kubota B2920... #7  
Tompet,

Welcome to TBN! and Kubota!

She looks great, now dont be shy - go ahead and post lots of pics - cuz we loooovee pics! :D

Question for you - was that your trailer in the picture? Why I ask - I trailer mine to my other property and have had a very very hard time finding places to hook my chain to. I have been using my front grill guard frame plate however the rear is a mystery to me on where to hook up to.

If you (or anyone else with a 2X20) have any suggestions please let me know.

Be safe,

~jim

/ From MF to Kubota B2920... #8  
Anyone with BH65 and 16" bucket?
TP

I have the Bh65 with 16" bucket. Did you have any paticular questions or concerns? It seems to dig well in my soil conditions. It is probably a little big for trenching water or power lines but should do well for landscape excavating. So far I have mostly used it to dig up stumps or at least start to dig up stumps and dragging logs and brush out of the woods. So far in my excavating experiences I prefer an over dig versus a trench that is too tight, gives me some working room. I don't know how much difference it would be with the 10" bucket, but I have noticed that I can't push the bucket down into the ground very much without picking up the tractor. The 10" being narrower might be able to dig straight down a little better. I also have a tendency to use it to do surface grading/contouring and the wider bucket should work better for this.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.:)

/ From MF to Kubota B2920... #9  
The only problem which I noticed right off the truck and stopped to tell driver is that the hydro not only whines, but SCREAMS in hi range and a little in mid range at certain rpm's. I'll nail down exact rpm's causing problems but the following estimates are close.
Now I could understand if it did it at low rpm's 1100-1300 in high range, but if you start off at those low rpm's in high or mid range it just purrs along. But start off around 1500-2000 rpm's it SCREAMS. Then, if you start off from or increase rpm's to 2200-2500 it's back to quiet running. Has anyone else experienced this?
I'm not too concerned yet and think it can be worked out. I've read everything from harmonic vibration to 1st hydro fluid change to more running time may help, but I do want to find cause of this sooner rather than later. If anyone has suggestions...please post.

I have noticed that all of my hydro tractors have what I would call a sweet spot for engine rpm and hydro speed. My 2620 still has this as well, but it is not as noticeable as my older tractors. I usually vary a combination of gear selection, hydro pedal depression and engine rpm to get the speed I want for a desired task and have the tractor just humming along. It sounds more complicated than it really is. It is one of things you just get a feel for and it seems to come naturally. The problem I am having with my 2620 hydro is two things. It makes a ratcheting sound when taking off in high gear or going up steep hills. I believe it may be a relieve valve, but not sure. It is definetly only when the hst is under a load and the speed of the ratcheting is directly related the the hst pedal depression,(the farther I push the pedal the faster the ratcheting sound) :confused: . And my tractor seems to roll too easy when on a slope and in gear and running. The hst does not seem to be as tight as my other tractors, they would all stand absolutly still. My 2620 if in high gear can move a pretty good pace on a hill if I don't use the parking brake.

/ From MF to Kubota B2920... #10  
When I was about 13, my brother, and I were gathering maple sap along a woods road that was on a hill. Our old Allis Chalmers "C" had a tired battery, and we usually had to plan on letting it roll in second gear, and then releasing the clutch to start it. (Or use the crank, and you know which one was easier) Anyway, I got the bright idea to just leave it in second gear when I parked it to save a step. I wasn't far up the side hill with my sap pails when the tractor decided to take of by itself. I caught up with it quickly, and the ignition was off, so fortunately no harm was done but I did learn a valuable lesson. If the weight of the tractor, and the grade of the slope is enough, it is a very bad idea to leave it without the parking brake engaged, and in it's lowest gear. (couldn't always trust the brakes on that tractor either) I don't think it has anything to do with any fault of any hydrostatic transmission........... just the laws of gravity. :D

I am hearing disabled, and wear hearing aids so I'm a poor judge, but one of the things that I like about my B2620 is that the hydro is quieter than many other tractors I tried out. Perhaps I just was lucky with mine.