L5740 HSTC versus M7040 HDC need help!

/ L5740 HSTC versus M7040 HDC need help! #1  

airmedic31

Tractor
Kubota 5030 HSTC with FEL
Guys,
Need to hear your experiences. I currently have a L5030 HSTC FEL that has 450 hr.'s and am thinking about trading up for more horsepower and the new 40 series cab. My previous tractors have been hydrostatic (L4310 HSTC and an older B series years ago). I do have many years around the farm on the older International and John Deere gear drive transmissions so I'm familiar. My problem is I need a little more tractor at times but I love the HST transmission. My needs are multipurpose. I have 35 acers of pasture and hay plus I cut hay off another 25 acers. I use a 6 foot Woods Bush Hog , disc mower, New Holland square baler, 8 foot disc, and various small tillage tools. I also mow my 4 acer yard with a 7 foot Land Pride finish mower. I have my hay round baled at times and the 5030 is a little weak on the larger task. I also am getting into business selling farm seed and will be using the FEL to unload pallets around 2000 lb-2400 lb. For general use I love the tractor and sort of think the 5740 will do me but then I think the M7040 would be my best bet. Heres the real clincher. The M7040 HDC 4WD with LA1153 skid steer FEL , 1 remote, radio , 8 speed hydraulic shuttle,
and industrial tires with fluid added is priced at $37900. The L5740 HSTC similarly equiped with the upgraded FEL, industrial tires with fluid added is going to be around $39000 to $39600. I really like the M series tractor but am I going to like loosing the HST transmission? Let me hear some insight. I am going to drive the M7040 tomorrow. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

/ L5740 HSTC versus M7040 HDC need help! #2  
I have a L5030HSTC. I just bought a 5455 Massey (About the size of a M-95x) I was going to sell the 5030 but it does a lot of things the big one can't.

I think I'm gonna keep both.

The L5740 isn't going to pick up your pallets so it isn't really a question. The 7040 isn't gonna lift them to full height I don't think either. You may need a 3 ph mounted forklift.

I did all my haying small squares and rounds with my 5030 but a disc mower conditioner wasn't happening on my hills. We do very similar things with our machines, I just have a few more acres of hay.

/ L5740 HSTC versus M7040 HDC need help! #3  
I just got an M7040 HD. I have been using older farm tractors with gear transmissions so this is an upgrade for my experience. I mow 18 -22 acres of hay fields with a 6' brush hog, plow/disc 4-5 acres with a 3-16" trailer plow/3pt disk, rototill with a 72" pto unit, and pull a rainflo 2600 mulch layer for fruit/vegetable production. I can pick my 8' long 2000# mulchlayer up with the pallet forks but don't know just how high it will lift it. It does more than enough to get it on/off a trailer deck in the high lift position.

The HD shuttle is nice but a hydro seems like it would be advantageous mowing with the rotary cutter in and out of tight places. For loader/forklift work the HD shuttle is pretty nice. The hydro's variable speed might make fork lift work easier than having to change gears as you need more/less speed. But the M is fully syncronized and gear changes can be made pretty smoothly.

The M7040 is the smallest I would personally consider for a primary tractor in a haying operation with round bales on somewhat hilly land. (Just my opinion)

/ L5740 HSTC versus M7040 HDC need help! #4  
For your pallets you would need at least the 7040.

/ L5740 HSTC versus M7040 HDC need help! #5  
I don't know how you plan to ballast your tractor but on my 7040 I have loaded R1's with cast rear hubs and a set of bolt on rear wheel weights. I still hook on to a piece of equipment when moving 2000#s + with the pallet forks. Usually I use the 700# tiller. No problems with the machine feeling light in the rear using this setup. I have not tried to pick up a 2500# pallet but what I do lift is 2000# and a full 8' long and puts the weight quite far forward on the forks due to the way you have to grab a hold of it to load on a trailer.

/ L5740 HSTC versus M7040 HDC need help! #6  
I really like the M series tractor but am I going to like loosing the HST transmission? Let me hear some insight. I am going to drive the M7040 tomorrow. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

FWIW, I have an M5040 that I use for bush hogging. And a B2710 (HST) for the lawn mower.

For tight maneuvering with full rpm's, the HST is very nice. But I certainly don't miss it for mowing the pastures.

YMMV

Ken

/ L5740 HSTC versus M7040 HDC need help! #7  
I moved from a 5030 to 7040 cab about two years ago. I have not regretted giving up the HST. The 7040 is much more tractor and, in my opinion, a great move and worth the extra cash.

/ L5740 HSTC versus M7040 HDC need help! #8  
1) I assume that quote on the 7040 is with the cab. has to be. and that seems high 2) do you have to have a cab? 3) Strictly comparing machines, IMHO I would not look at the 57 series as it's not that great a jump from what you have in terms of everything. 3) Really, the 7040 is would be minimal in my book. Personally. I'd go with a 9540 for your commercial purposes. for around 37-38 K (around here) you could get a 12 speed heavy duty tranny hyd. shuttle rops model 9540 that will add 500# to the fel capacity over the 7040 plus other nice options such as turbo, hyd brakes, & transmission lock brake, a really nice safety feature for everyday commercial use. and hp for the future. But if you really have to have cab w/ a limited budget....your call. don't get the 5740 if you want more guts. bb

/ L5740 HSTC versus M7040 HDC need help! #9  
one more point....there's a reason the larger M series ag application tractors use gear transmissions (but let's not get into that debate).....having said that, the hydraulic shuttle is a dream for fel & hogging. best of both worlds bb

/ L5740 HSTC versus M7040 HDC need help!
Thanks for the responses. I think you guys are spot on. I will go drive the M7040 tomorrow and see what I think. I spoke to the dealer today and there may be an option to trade the loader off the 5030 with the deal on the 7040 and just keep it as a second tractor for light work / yard work. It never hurts to have an extra when doing hay but now I can see if the wallet agree's. Either way it looks like the 7040 is the way to go. I really appreciate the insight. I'll let you know how it goes.