1979 B7100 - should I buy?

/ 1979 B7100 - should I buy? #1  

AustinTX

Bronze Member
I found a 1979 Kubota 7100 with <900 hours parked in a guy's garage today when I was there to buy something else. He said he would sell it to me for $2500.

The seat needs replacing and the hydraulics scare me a little- the implement slowly lowers on its own-

It comes with a blade and a Kubota finish mower (pull behind, not belly).

I need a box scraper, landscape rake and FEL to do the chores around here. I really have no need for the finish mower.

Should I be able to locate the implements? Is the mower work anything to sell or trade toward an FEL?

THe price seems good- but if I triple the price with implements, I think I will end up with too mcuh money on the table for a non-hydro machine.

Finally- would this machine have the oomph to pull a harley rake?

/ 1979 B7100 - should I buy? #2  
Look around first for the availability of an FEL before buying the machine. You could look at Woods or ask your local Kubota dealer if they can get one for you. A new loader could easily cost you another 2k.

/ 1979 B7100 - should I buy? #3  
I would look for one with a loader on it already, if you think you'll need one. It will be cheaper in the long run. I have a B7100 with a loader and I love it, but it doesn't have power steering - a disadvantage.

/ 1979 B7100 - should I buy? #4  
The price is good, if you need the tractor and existing implements, but if you need a front end loader, then the other guys are right. The front end loader alone will probably cost more than the tractor.

/ 1979 B7100 - should I buy? #5  
My buddy bought a B7100 C/W loader for $2000 last fall.
While not very well maintained it only needed TLC, new seat and some paint.
True, the FEL bushings (all of them) need replacing but the loader is doing its job.
Tires were, well, OK but he needs to budget replacements.
At my urging he drained ALL fluids and renewed all filters.

The 7100 seems to be a bullet proof machine.

/ 1979 B7100 - should I buy? #6  
I found a 1979 Kubota 7100 with <900 hours parked in a guy's garage today when I was there to buy something else. He said he would sell it to me for $2500.

The seat needs replacing and the hydraulics scare me a little- the implement slowly lowers on its own-

It comes with a blade and a Kubota finish mower (pull behind, not belly).

I need a box scraper, landscape rake and FEL to do the chores around here. I really have no need for the finish mower.

Should I be able to locate the implements? Is the mower work anything to sell or trade toward an FEL?

THe price seems good- but if I triple the price with implements, I think I will end up with too mcuh money on the table for a non-hydro machine.

Finally- would this machine have the oomph to pull a harley rake?
I'd druther have new or at least less than 30 years old.

/ 1979 B7100 - should I buy? #7  
Also I think those didn't have power steering, a real pain with FEL along with the non hydro. For those two reasons I'd pass although they are about bullet proof.

/ 1979 B7100 - should I buy? #8  
By the time you add a loader and the other implements you would probably have about as much in a 30 year old non HST armstrong steering tractor with no warranty as a bran spanking new warranted HST tractor with a warranty.
Also I think those didn't have power steering, a real pain with FEL along with the non hydro. For those two reasons I'd pass although they are about bullet proof.

/ 1979 B7100 - should I buy? #9  
I paid $11,000 for my B7100 HST 4x4 with loader in 1994. It was a cost leader model at the time (old design, no power steering). I regulatory see them on Craigslist for about $5K now, often with low hours.

/ 1979 B7100 - should I buy? #10  
AustinTX,

You mentioned "non-hydro" in your post. This probably means you at least thought about gear vs. hydro. If you think you might want a hydro, then pass on this, and all gear-drive tractors. ESPECIALLY if FEL work is one of the main tasks. Ditto on the comments about finding one with a loader. Finding a loader to fit this may be a chore, unless you have fabrication skills, and don't mind making a subframe to fit the tractor. My B7100HST has a Woods DuAl 145 loader on it, so I do know that some aftermarket loaders fit. The older B7100s (like the one you are looking at), came with the B219 FEL if they had one. Newer ones typically came with the 1630. Neither of these is detachable, but the Woods that I have (soon to be had) is. It is nice to be able to remove the loader when you don't need it, esp. w/o power steering.

Back to the hydro-vs. gear comment. I bought a 1980 gear-drive B7100 last may. One of my primary uses if FEL work. I bought a B7100HST hydro-drive in July of last year. I had only put 22 hours on the gear drive one before I sold it. I got what I paid for it, but put the time into cleaning it up, and giving it some fresh paint. Bottom line -- buy the tractor you want first, instead of 2nd.

My B7100HST only made me want for two things, POWER STEERING, and more rear lift power (3 point). I use a rear carry-all to move firewood on racks made from pallets. The full rack weighs around 500-700 lbs for not-yet-dried split oak. The 3PH on the B7100 is rated for about 400 lbs. I actually tested the lift capability of mine, and was able to lift about 600 lbs with the side links on the outer pin holes of the drag links. This was not enough for most of my pallets (gotta lift the carry-all too). I had to cheat, and tilt the pallets backward with my HTL (hydraulic top link) (another thread), and then lift with the 3PH to take up the slack on the front, and then tilt back level with the HTL. It is also a bit weak at lifting a PHD (post hole digger) when it is stuck.

After putting about 85 hours on it, the new owner is picking up the B7100HST today.

I had considered adding power steering, as many on this form that have fabrication skills have done. it is about $500 in parts, plus labor. Then, I'd still have a weak 3PH.

So, starting around Feb., I started watching for a good deal on a tractor the met my needs. I figured that with the economy down, I'd find some good deals. I watched craigslist and ebay, and some other searches. I missed out on some nice deals. One was a 400-hour '99 B2400 for $8000 with LA351 FEL, a 14' trailer, and back blade. Another was an early '90s 420 hour B2150 with a Bushhog-branded loader that went for $6200ish on ebay (I didn't log in to bid in time).

I finally, last week, picked up an 127-hour '05 B7610 with a Woods PHD, Kubota ballast box and a King Kutter rake for $7,500. Luckily, I saw the Craigslist ad about 25 minutes after it was posted. Two days later, I had a $500 deposit on my B7100HST (Woods FEL, 60" MMM, home-made counterweight, the rake that came with the B7610, and my Leinbach PHD), two sets of tires/wheels (R1's, and turfs that were new last year).

I got $7275 for everything. So, for $225 + gas and tolls, I have my power steering, and 1300 lbs rear lift (at pins, 1080 24" back).

The B7100HST had also come with a 50" 3PH snow blower (of which, I already had one), so between selling the gear-driven B7100 and the other snow blower, I did that upgrade for about $500 + about $800 that I invested in the tires and wheels.

So, my advice, is if you don't buy the tractor you want, and settle for less, you'll end up buying the one you want sooner than later. Hopefully, you don't lose money in the process (I got lucky).

There are good deals out there, just be patient. It took my about 4 months of watching craigslist (and other sites) many times a day to get the deal I got.

The B7100 is a great tractor. It is a nice, rugged, simple design. If you can live with the manual steering, and (relatively) week 3PH lift, then get one.

IMHO, I think that you'd do better with a B1550, or B1700 for about the same price as a nice B7100HST will bring. The B1550 and B1700 are approx the same HP as the B7100HST.

My search was for the following models:
B1550, B1750, B2150 (17, 20, and 24HP)
B1700, B2100, B2400 (17,21, and 24 HP)
B2410 (24 HP, basically, a deluxe B7610)
B7500, B7510, B7610 (21,21, and 24 HP)

I didn't bother searching for Bxx20, or Bxx30 tractors, as they are very new, and would be way out of the target price (I was shopping under $8k).

I also didn't include the B7200, B8200, B7300 or B7410 in my search as none of them have power steering. I don't know if the B9200 does, but it was a little larger than I wanted. I also didn't bother looking for B2710, B2910, and B7800. Way more power than I need, and also a little larger than I wanted.

I would have been happy staying in the same HP range as the B7100 (16HP), but am happy that I have 24 HP now, as I'm about to start using a 53" 3PH, PTO-powered rototiller, and know that 13HP PTO power is a the low end of the range for that tiller.

Good luck with your search,
Jay

Last edited: