How's this compare?

/ How's this compare? #1  

Richard

Elite Member
Tractor
International 1066 Full sized JCB Loader/Backhoe and a John Deere 430 to mow with
How\'s this compare?

OK Dudes, though my better half STILL nixes any tractor /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif, she says I CAN do the following, so my question is how would this compare (in digging) against a "Chalkley Machine" or an L-35?

Her brother just bought (at auction) a 2wd JCB (?) loader/backhoe. Probably 10 +/- years old with only 1,850 hours on it /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif!!! Externally, "FUGLY" (if ya know what I mean)/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gifall the glass on cab is gone save for rear window, needs one brake master cylinder and parking brake adjusted. Other than that (been tinkering on it with him for last week) it really seems to run smooth as silk, starts right NOW, no smoke, no hesitation no nuthin 'cept a purring Perkins turbo/diesel.

All I know is, it's BIG, heavy, works great and at $8,500 I think is cheaper than a frame mounted backhoe (alone) on an L-series Kubota, though, it is painted yellow.

If anyone knows of these beasts, any advice/warnings/accolades?

Being 2 wheel drive, are there any more/different concerns when being on a hill?

This thing seems to be back end heavy, would you drive it up the hill in reverse and come down forward? I have some boulders I'll be trying to get and that could become an issue.

Thanks for any thoughts
Richard

/ How's this compare? #2  
Re: How\'s this compare?

There was just a very long post called "hills -forwards or backwards" that discussed this very thing. Take a look and you'll probably get your answer. According to the consensus of that post, to which I agreee, in the case of a backhoe which is rear heavy, I would back up the hill and go down forward. The only thing you might find is a traction problem backing up with 2 wheel drive.

/ How's this compare? #3  

The JCB is one heavy construction model,for the town of Hanover had a JCB I believe was a 35 and talking w/ the operator he like like the new John Deere better.
The backhoe was great for cleaning ditches other light work,but it was also rough on fuel and not all that good of a view when useing the front end loader.
If one is careful going thru the woods,wet areas etc...than you shouldn't need 4wd,and if you should get hung up than you have the hoe.
But 4wd is grand and I wouldn't want to be with out it believe me. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Thomas..NH

/ How's this compare? #4  

Richard - I can answer this one easily and quickly: No competition! That JCB is a serious digging machine, and the L35 and my "machine" don't come close.

Now, that said, some caveats: The 2wd loader/backhoes are very light on the front end when the loader is empty. Unless you've got a load in the bucket, always back up hills and go forward down them in that machine!

Secondly, you may want to practice turning with the brakes before getting in any sticky situations with the JCB. It's not as light in the front end as some of the older John Deere's, but you'll probably still find that the steering is pretty well useless if you don't have a load in the bucket.

Mark

/ How's this compare?

Thanks all for comments,

Gerard, the line on driving up/down hills is what sparked my question

Thomas, I think I'd also prefer 4wd, but this might be a case of beggers (me) can't be choosey! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

I had noticed that the front end seemed to "bounce" for lack of better word, a bit when the bucket was stopped mid raise/lower. I kind of found that interesting. /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

I was thinking that the typical day to day operation would be with the brakes locked together. Given the advice of practice turning with them, I'm beginning to wonder if I should "typically" keep them locked or unlocked. Are there guidelines as to the logic of when you should/shouldn't lock them?

Richard

/ How's this compare? #6  

Richard - Typically, one of the major factors determining whether the brakes should be locked together or not is operator experience. It's easy to hit one brake when you meant to hit both and do something very wrong. For that reason, they should always be locked when traveling at higher speeds, because hitting one instead of both can flip the tractor or loader. At any rate, remember to be extra careful when they're unlocked.

MarkC

/ How's this compare? #7  

Ive seen JCB's and they look like tough machines. I have an L35 and let me tell you it's a yellow industrial in an orange suit as someone put it in a post a while ago. Now if the JCB runs fine it may be a good deal but honestly I believe it will give you problems n the future. For parts or repairs haluing it alone will require a very large truck and flat bed. And honestly how big do you need to go?? The L35 has one extremely tough backhoe and loader. I have been able to push boulders the size of VW's into the woods but most certaintly lift them up! I think for the money that he bought and if it runs fine then the JCB may be the better deal since L35's price is about 35,000 but in the long run the L35 i believe will push the JCB out of first place.