Got my M7040

/ Got my M7040 #21  
congrats on your purchase. I've been considering one.

I checked out a M5040 today, to see if I'd like the hydro shuttle instead of a hydrostatic. The shuttle definitely would take some getting used to. Not sure if I'd like it for replacing my L3130.

/ Got my M7040
You got paint on your bucket!!

I've got an M7040, had for about a year. No cab, but don't really feel the need for it, except when you run a baler.

Your going to like that tractor.

I mow pastures for a couple locals and it is great to get done with that and not need to hose myself off from all the dust and bugs that decided I was a good spot to stay, as I had so rudely cut through their home.

Still getting used to the higher seat location and narrower footprint.

/ Got my M7040
congrats on your purchase. I've been considering one.

I checked out a M5040 today, to see if I'd like the hydro shuttle instead of a hydrostatic. The shuttle definitely would take some getting used to. Not sure if I'd like it for replacing my L3130.

I can see that.
My previous tractor was a TC55DA with the EHSS tranny. I could flick from forward to reverse at any speed and the transmission took care of it all.

The Kubota does not want to do that. I have been running it like a backhoe i ran. CLutch, brake, flip shuttle, release brake and clutch. I have several hundred hours running that type of transmission so it is an old skillset I needed to dust off.

/ Got my M7040 #24  
The Kubota does not want to do that. I have been running it like a backhoe i ran. CLutch, brake, flip shuttle, release brake and clutch. I have several hundred hours running that type of transmission so it is an old skillset I needed to dust off.

Thats the same way I run my M5040..... I know it's a Hyd Shuttle........but habits are hard to break!

How do you like the RM-990?

Stu

/ Got my M7040
Thats the same way I run my M5040..... I know it's a Hyd Shuttle........but habits are hard to break!

How do you like the RM-990?

Stu

Its great for mowing. I use it for pastures with no hard saplings raised up a bit and for yards as well. Have hit rocks and hidden brnaches and blades are still pretty good shape. Love how it works.

Couple issues with it maint wise though.

They apparently put no lube or never seize on the bolts and the pins that hold the blades to the spindle. I had a long afternoon breaking them loose and cleaning the rust off of them. My recommendation is to pull them ASAP when you purchase one and never-seize the heck out of them, they are fairly easy to pull now for sharpening.

Other issue is the tensioner. It is a non-lubircated bushing on a verticle pivot shaft. You need to pull that bad boy every few months and get some lube on it or it will seize and you now have no active tensioning.
Had to replace mine and we drilled and tapped it so that I could put a zerk on it and grease it. *crossed fingers* It seems to be working better.

/ Got my M7040 #26  
Its great for mowing. I use it for pastures with no hard saplings raised up a bit and for yards as well. Have hit rocks and hidden brnaches and blades are still pretty good shape. Love how it works.

Couple issues with it maint wise though.

They apparently put no lube or never seize on the bolts and the pins that hold the blades to the spindle. I had a long afternoon breaking them loose and cleaning the rust off of them. My recommendation is to pull them ASAP when you purchase one and never-seize the heck out of them, they are fairly easy to pull now for sharpening.

Other issue is the tensioner. It is a non-lubircated bushing on a verticle pivot shaft. You need to pull that bad boy every few months and get some lube on it or it will seize and you now have no active tensioning.
Had to replace mine and we drilled and tapped it so that I could put a zerk on it and grease it. *crossed fingers* It seems to be working better.

Thanks for the Maint tips! I have had my RM990 for about 4 months now and it sounds like I should take a look at the blade bolts, and tensioner.

Stu

/ Got my M7040 #27  
That's very interesting about the turbo charged models. Kubota's website shows some information indicating the turbo charged models, but other pages (specifications) doesn't mention it.

The literature I picked up at the dealer yesterday didn't mention it, nor did the salesman.

It looks like the turbo charged M7040 has about 2 hp more on the PTO.

Is the turbo worth it? Turbos are expensive to repair if they have problems.

Ken

The turbo is there on the "-1" models only for passing emission requirements according to my dealer. The very minor HP gain is not an issue. In fact the whistling of the little turbo is a bit annoying.

Here in California the government is cracking down on diesel emissions so all of the new M-series apparently have to have a turbo to comply with emission requirements.

It seems like another thing to go wrong to me - especially since it is a new and unproven device. You can't just run the tractor hard and turn it off. The engine has to be left running for a bit to let the turbo bearings cool down. Thanks government.

/ Got my M7040 #28  
Thanks for reasoning for the turbo, re: emissions. At least that explains the situation. Yes, I had noticed the instructions to "let it idle for 5 minutes before shutdown" :(

I haven't noticed any turbo whine in my new M9540. I'll have to check, maybe it's not a -1 (hopeful!, LOL).

Ken

/ Got my M7040 #29  
Congrats on your purchase of the M7040. Re: Tractor feels as though it might tip. The dealer I am working with indicated that Kubota does not have a standard width that they set the rear tires to when re-installing here in the US. The M7040 I am looking at was set to a width of 6' 2" measured from outside to outside of the rear tires. The M6040 sitting right beside it was set to approx 7'. I am having my tires set at 6' 10". Hopefully, this will be far enough to help eliminate the feel of tipping - yet allow me to get up close to my fences with my 7' bushhog.