Got my M7040

/ Got my M7040 #1  

Lyrch75

Bronze Member
Tractor
ZD331 and RTV1100
I have had CUT and UT tractors for the past 10+ years. Started with a TC24, then went to a TC40 and then a TC55DA. The first two blue tractors were fine, just too small.
The TC55DA was great until 150 hours and then I had to put a grand worth of repairs into it. That sorta destroyed my faith in the blue.
So when I went shopping for a cab tractor the options were green or orange.

Ended up going with the Kubota for two main reasons. 1. Was a good bit less expensive than a comparable JD. 2. THe Kubota dealer is within road distance.

Yesterday got a call they had the FEL mounted and were waxing the tractor. I hop on my TC55 and drive it over to the dealer and go home with my Orange machine. It had .6 hours on it at that time.

Things I already really like about the Kubota.
The cab is soo quiet. I was talking on my cell phone when I was mowing a field.
The additional 25% pto hp makes a huge difference with the mower. The field I was mowing is about 10" tall grass and I was only slowed by not wanting to screw up breaking in the tractor. Otherwise I probably could have been in high range. The TC would not do that field above M3.
The loader's speed, it is a fair bit faster than the 18LA that I had grown accustomed to.

Things I am going to have to get used to.
Have R1's on the KUbota, had R4s on the past two tractors. The added height and reduced width make the tractor feel very tippy compared to the TC55.
The need to slow down to change directions. THe TC's tranny allowed me to flip the shuttle forward or reverse at any speed and it would do its thing. The manual states I need to slow dow to do this with the M7040.
Slight vision reduction with the loader. THe 18LA had the long single piece upper beams where as the LA1153 on the K has a traditional constructed beam.
Added height of a cab. Found more than a few trees I will be trimming to be able to mow, as I really do not want to abuse the cab's finish (or structure)

It now has 6 hours on it, so I am certain I will come up with a few more likes, things to learn, and probably a few dislikes as I run it more.

/ Got my M7040 #2  
Glad to hear you got it, I know you'll like it. The first new "implement"
that I'm getting is a pole saw to trim back my trees also.

/ Got my M7040 #3  
Congratulations on your new 7040!
You mentioned a tippy feel, are your rear tires loaded?
Let's see some pictures now!

/ Got my M7040 #4  
I have felt "tippy" on my new M7040 once or twice. I think it is more me than the tractor though. I never felt that way with my old IH 424 in the same position. I think it's got something to do with being higher on the M.

Mine has loaded R1's, cast hubs, and bolt on rear weights.

Congrats on the new purchase, I think you'll like it. I am loving mine.

/ Got my M7040
I think it is the higher seat and the different sightline with the LA1153 loader.

Ran the TC55 without loaded tires, starting the M7040 out w/out loaded tires as well. I just always had something on the back of the tractor usually around 1000 pounds.
Will see if I get more comfortable with the feel and realise it is the seat height, or I will put it on its side, like I have done with several other tractors over the years
Pics will be up once it quits raining and I can get my camera charged :D

/ Got my M7040 #6  
Sounds like you did real good with the M7040!

Ditto on the pole saw!!!

Those cab roof marker lights are expensive!!!! Don't ask how I know!!

Stu

/ Got my M7040
Sounds like you did real good with the M7040!

Ditto on the pole saw!!!

Those cab roof marker lights are expensive!!!! Don't ask how I know!!

Stu

I almost got to find out how expensive a mirror is :eek:

/ Got my M7040 #8  
Hey Lyrch,

Congrats on your purchase...Is this unit an 2009? If so, does the motor have a turbo? I found conflicting info on Kubota's website.

Thanks in advance and good luck with your tractor...

Jimmy Mac

/ Got my M7040 #9  
Congrats on your tractor... I jealous with envy...

You may want to load those tires on your tractor...This should help some with the "tippy feeling"...

/ Got my M7040 #10  
I looked at that size Kubota as well as the next two sizes up. I ended up getting a JD 5525 because the cab was larger and I could get a 2nd seat option. Anyway, both the Kubota and JD tractors came with R1 tires. That's fine for certain circumstances, but with loaded R1 tires, an FEL and a decent sized rear implement, I was weighing so much that I couldn't go across a lot of places without leaving ruts. I found on both the JD and Kubota that all I needed to do was find the aspect ratio for the front vs rear tires and go from there. I ended up buying a spare set of wheels and tires that are R4 tires.

I find that I mostly use the R4 tires since not only am I lighter with them (as opposed to loaded R1 tires), but the R4 tires have a much thicker carcass and are much wider along with putting larger lugs on the ground. This allows me to use the tractor in places I couldn't consider with the heavy and relatively narrow R1 tires. I don't recall off the top of my head where I ordered the wheels, but I'm pretty sure I posted where on here somewhere. By purchasing "blemished" R4 tires to go on my new wheels I ended up having about $800 or so total in the 2nd set of wheels and tires.