JD 4710 vs K L4610

/ JD 4710 vs K L4610 #1  

gdilling

Tractor
John Deere 4710
I'm preparing to buy a JD 4710 with FEL or Kubota L4610 with FEL. Price will partly determine which one I buy. However, I'd like any advice from someone who has comparison shopped for both tractors. Also, I'd like some advice on whether calcium in the tires is a good idea or wheel weights a better one and whether a remote SCV is a good idea for possible later use. I will be using this tractor for everything from hauling gravel, road maintenance to brush cutting. Later as money allows I may add a backhoe.

/ JD 4710 vs K L4610 #2  
Both are excellent machines. Do you have a better feel for one dealer over the other, i.e., better service and support after the sale?

There's been a lot of discussion about loading tires vs using wheel weights. Advantage to weights is they can be removed if you -- for whatever reason -- need to switch your wheels around. You don't mention what part of the country you're in, but many of us use RV antifreeze or even windshield washer fluid as non-corrosive alternatives to CaCl. I run the latter in my rear tires of my L3010 and the former up front. My last tractor's tires weren't loaded and I can tell from personal experience it makes a world of difference.

Just curious, but from the tasks you describe it sounds like a smaller tractor might fit the bill: a JD 44xx or a Kubota 3710. Going smaller would let you get that backhoe faster.

Pete

/ JD 4710 vs K L4610 #3  
Both machines are good. I went through the same process last year. Purchased a used JD4700 with 500 hrs from a dealer. Local orchard farmers lease new ones every year in a program arrangement. A good dealer can make all the difference. The dealer loaded the tires with water (since we don't have significant winters here). It may not be necessary in the front since the added weight is small but the rears can make a big difference. Wheel weights shouldn't be necessary, but I have mostly sandy soil (wet clay or mud may require more weight depending on what you are doing). Definitely get one or two SCVs. I have three but rarely use all three. I have a top hydraulic control for the 3PH. If I add the tilt hydraulics later, then three is necessary (one available for operation of hydraulics on impliments).

/ JD 4710 vs K L4610 #4  
I don't know much about the 4710 since its so new and have yet to actually see one. It does use the same loader as the 4700, which is well built, but in my opinion just doesn't compare against Kubotas LA852. The LA852 does just about everything better and has substantially more steel in it. The two, although quite different engine wise both get A's. I'm pretty sure the HST in the JD 4710 is better then the 4700, the one in the L4610 is bullet proof and very smooth. After that JD has some electronics which has its appeal in adding simplicity or frustration when/if it goes haywire. You mentioned price and in the end, that may be the main thing that separates these too for you. I'd take either or both.

/ JD 4710 vs K L4610 #5  
I'd love to take the JD 4710 seriously, but can't for a few simple reasons at this point.

1) I can't find specs on the loader either on their web site or in the literature the dealer gave me (where he said I could find the specs). Without this, I can't compare it to the Kubota.

2) Ditto for the JD backhoe.

3) The JD doesn't offer a cab. Hopefully some day they will, but nothing right now.

I realize all these things can be overcome in one way or another, especially the specs, but I just can't find them and am not going to go way out of my way to get basic information about a tractor. For $25k-$30k I should be getting spoon fed everything I want to know.

It's too bad, because I'd like to give it serious consideration. In Vermont, where I'm getting all my seat time, the JDs are way more prevalent and the dealers are closer by. However, right now I either can't compare, or it doesn't compare.

/ JD 4710 vs K L4610 #6  
I have all the specs for the JD 460 loader, one big difference between it and the LA852 is the physical weight. The JD460 weighs 840lbs while the Kubota LA852 weighs 1213 lbs. Lift capacity at pivot pin to max. height is JD 460 2325 lbs, LA852 2470lbs, there are many more figures available as well. Rat...

/ JD 4710 vs K L4610 #7  
Where did you find the specs?

/ JD 4710 vs K L4610 #8  
Here is the full spec sheet for the JD460 loader from my owners manual.

Attachments

• 1-165625-460a.jpg
    1-165625-460a.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 220
   / JD 4710 vs K L4610 #9  
thanks