BX22 Backhoe?

/ BX22 Backhoe? #1  

KWentling

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX22, Kubota ZD21, Kubota M7060
Here is my situation. I have 35 acres with a new unlandscaped house and soon to be shop. I have an 830 Case with FL, post hole digger, 8'rear blade, and 7' rotary mower for the bigger jobs. I'm shopping for a garden tractor to till with, mow around the homestead, do landscape chores with, clean the horse barn, etc. The dealer I visited with steered me towards the BX1800 or BX2200 with FL and MMM. He also had a BX22 in the show room that caught my eye. Slick little unit. My question is, will this backhoe dig in hard ground? I have lots of clay soil, and when it's dry you can't hardly get a shovel in the ground. I can see lots of use for the backhoe for the next few years for planting trees, burying water and electric lines, drainage lines for the downspouts, footings for the new shop, etc. He let me try it out, but it was in loose sandy soil, so it wasn't much of a test. Sweet little hoe.
Might I be better off with the BX 2200 and shop for a 3-point backhoe for the Case? Anyone have any experience with the BX22 in hard ground? Would appreciate any advice.
Kim

/ BX22 Backhoe? #2  
Yes, I can tell you without hesitation that it will dig in very hard ground. I live in northern VA where we have nothing but red clay, and the other day I needed to dig a small trench about 6' long x 10" wide. I had the backhoe and loader off my BX22 and said "Oh heck, I only have to go a bit, I'll dig it with a shovel and spade rather than hook everything up."

Well, after half an hour of cussing and sweating I had barely made a dent in the earth. I had dug a foot and the dry ground was so hard I had been using the sharpened small spade the whole time, the standard round shovel didn't budge a thing.

My wife comes out and laughs at me, saying, "Isn't that what you got that fancy tractor for?" Well, by then I'd had enough and went up to the garage and attached the backhoe and loader to the BX22 (about 10 minutes to do both), ran the tractor down to my work area and in two minutes it was done neat and clean.

There's a lot of power in that backhoe.

Two reasons I really prefer the BX22 over a BX2200 with FEL. 1) Resale value is likely to be higher with a backhoe unit. 2) You have to put something that is 300 lb. or better on the back of a BX2200 with FEL anyways, why spend money on a ballast box?

-Duane C.

/ BX22 Backhoe?
Thanks for the reply, Duane. Thats what I wanted to hear. Thats the cheaper way to go over the three point hoe for the Case. Cheapest price I had found so far for one of those was $5300.

/ BX22 Backhoe? #4  
I had a question about the same thing, but black clay!

KCook

/ BX22 Backhoe? #5  
I just got done with a trench going from the house to one of the ponds. It took me a long time ( more time to play ) but I only dug in a couple of hour incriments. (SP?) The trench is over 330' long and it was ALL hard compact clay. When I would scoop up the bucket it would make the ground break up about a foot around the trench. I couldn't even get the shovel to make a dent the earth. There are some pictures on my yahoo page.

/ BX22 Backhoe? #6  
Yep...what I've found with the BX22 (and I'm made some references to it in other forums here in TBN) is that it's a very powerful machine for what it does, but it does everything in small doses.

I think the right way to look at the BX22 is that is a seriously pumped up Super-Garden Tractor for the homeowner who is not going to buy a larger unit either because the bigger ones are physically too large or too expensive.

There are those that take shots at it for being too small, and not powerful enough for real farm work but that's not what this tractor was designed for. Rather this is an Estate tractor for owners that have residential properties they enjoy keeping up themselves, or don't want to have to call some landscaper in to do some chores. And for that, it's the perfect tractor that fills a niche previously occupied by nothing in the market segment. Teramites are the closest thing out there, but they don't mow and are highly crude machines at not much less money.

The BX22 can do the work of the larger tractors, but it will take more bites to do it when moving material, up to the maximum limits of the machinery (weight capacity, breakout force, etc.) For me, that's not an issue, 'cause I LOVE to get out there and work the tractor.....it's quite fun after a day at the office. So if it takes me an hour on the BX22 vs. 45 minutes with something like an B2410 than that's not a real issue for me.

What is an issue is purchase price! When I made my tractor choice I wanted a brand new unit and could not find anything with all the features of the BX22 (FEL, BH, MMM) for under $ 20K in a high-quality unit. I liked the JD'd and the NH's, and event the other Kubos but the cost of the backhoe unit was always the deal breaker on those, putting me into a much higher price category. At some point, your cost/benefit ratio degrades and you wonder if you can justify the expenditure for the intended uses (in my case, my tractor is 75% mower) for dollars spent. After all, with only 5 acres to maintain how often to you really need the backhoe? About $ 4K was all I was willing to invest in that (the added cost over a BX2200 w FEL and ballast box).

I've always done all my own work around the property, and my only tool before was a Cub Cadet 2000 series Garden Tractor with a Sears tow-behind cart for work. It was all still basically pick-shovel-wheelbarrow as the Cub could do little more than mow and tow. What a revelation with the BX22 ! Here was the answer I was looking for.....a real working tractor that can go all day on 5 gallons of diesel and after a day of chores I can still get out of bed the next day <g> as my back is intact.

I don't think I'd ever agree to sell it, even though my WorldCom stock is in the tank! It's become a very valuable tool in a very short time and I've not found myself wanting something larger/more powerful.

-Duane C.

/ BX22 Backhoe? #7  
Duane:
An excellent summary of your tractor (and all of our "toys.") I just came in the house from a morning spent on all sorts of projects around the house, and while I have done many of the same things with shovels, garden tractors, carts, etc., having the BX2200 sure saved some hard work and was actually fun!
Will

/ BX22 Backhoe? #8  
Hey Duane,
The resale value should be higher than a BX2200, the backhoe was an extra $3000.00!

Bob

/ BX22 Backhoe? #9  
Duane - I totally agree with you on all counts. I'm up to 18 hrs on my '22 with about 4 on the BH. It has been everything I expected and much more.

Have to mention though.....Martha called and told me to dump the Worldcom stock the other day/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif. C

/ BX22 Backhoe?
I'll try this again. Posted once but didn't make it. The dealer delivered the BX22 this afternoon. I used the FEL for an hour or so and it does about what I expected, other than there is air in the tilt cylinder. Tried out the backhoe in the soon to be front yard. I guess Wyoming clay is harder than most. Could only get about a foot deep. Just couldn't get the bucket to penetrate. Had to scrape to get as deep as I got. I tried the backyard to see if it would do better there. I got about three foot there. Pretty dissapointing. I wonder if the 10" bucket would do noticably better. Guess I'll call the dealer Sat. morning and see if I can exchange for the BX2200 and either rent a backhoe when I need one or look into the 3-point hoe for the Case.