Price Check TLB shopping...L45 / M59 Price Check and Questions

/ TLB shopping...L45 / M59 Price Check and Questions #1  

ManAtArms

Silver Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota M59
Hi gang,

I'm a new poster currently shopping for my first tractor. My contractor friends tell me the Kubotas are super solid units. At this point I'm serously looking at the L45 or M59. I've read just about every post I could find about these machines on these forums and I've seen both tractors in person side by side. The machine will be used primarily at my 13 acre New Jersey home farm. Uses include moving and stacking lots of larger rocks and trees, digging stumps, drainage trenches, ponds, small building foundations, tons of fence post digging, maintaining our 2500ft. dirt drive and brush hogging. I will be occationally transporting it...but not much.

I was hoping some other TLB owners could help me narrow down the decision.

Price...I was leaning towards the L45, but it seems to me that local dealers are more agressive on the M59 pricing (as is Kubota's financing). One dealer quoted the M59 with 3 point hitch, rear thumb and aux front and rear hydraulics for $49,600 and a like equiped L45 for $47,400. Current offer from Kubota finance for the M59 is 0% 0 down for 60 months...60 months 0 down for the L45 is 3.99% The total price on the L45 would need to be about 5k less to get the same payment as for the M59....so that got me thinking the M59 ain't looking too bad! Are these fair prices for the M59...and if yes, is anyone moving L45s for the low 40s?

Resale...It seems that it would be easier to get rid of the 45 than a 59...I read alot of people consider the 59 "too big" for a compact unit and if your gonna haul around the 59 between jobsites you might as well haul around an full size Case or the like. I have also read that the 45 would be in higher demand in the used compact market due to the ability to move it around with a 10K trailer and no CDLs. Is this correct?

Size...is the 45 that much less a machine than the 59? Have any 59 owners wished they got the 45? Or vice versa? Is the 45 that much more nimble in tight spaces (overall width looks similar).

Power...the 59s stats show it have significantly more grunt than the 45..
M59 digging force bucket cylinder...7602 dipperstick cylinder 4731..vs.
L45 digging force bucket cylinder...5825 dipperstick cylinder 3779

and about 1000 lbs. more loader lift capacity at the pivot pin.

Hydraulics...I really want to run a backhoe mount auger attachment..like a mcmillen X975...can the aux rear hydro on the L45 and M59 units drive an X975 (6-15 GPM rating)?

Thanks guys,

-Mark

/ TLB shopping...L45 / M59 Price Check and Questions #3  
Ok man this is how I feel about your question. About 4 months ago I was seriously looking into getting a tractor. I checked out John Deere, New holland, Kubota and some other brands. I didn't check into the L45 much so I can't give you any advice on that but I went with the M59. I got it loaded with all the plumbing for hydraulics. I ended up getting the Thumb, an Auger that attached on the backhoe, a grading scraper, 4-n-1 bucket, flail mower, and forks.

Let me tell you that I love it. This tractor can really work. I think for the size of this tractor it can do a lot. it's not super small so it can't maneuver in small areas but it does maneuver great. The loader and the backhoe does great. They both have good power and can do most of what I needed it to do. The Auger on the Backhoe works great too. We had to rig something up to attach it to the backhoe but it is a great way to go.

I have about 80 hours on it so far and have used various implements and I have no regrets about buying it. It was a bigger tractor than I needed at first but at this point I wouldn't want any less. It's big enough to handle pretty much anything I need it for, and I do push it, but small enough to get around where I need to go. So in my opinion I love this tractor and I think the size and power is perfect for me. And the 0% financing makes it much easier to get into and it's just good to know that all my payment is going to principle.
Good luck in your decision.

/ TLB shopping...L45 / M59 Price Check and Questions #4  
There are old stock, pre-price increase M59's floating around (I have one), however since the L45's just started shipping they look expensive compared to the older M59's... the currently shipping M59's are more $$$.

I don't see much difference here on a resale basis. Given the pricing, I'd buy the M59. Its a real brute.

/ TLB shopping...L45 / M59 Price Check and Questions
Woody, what brand and model of auger did you go with for the backhoe?
Messicks, thanks for the info...are there any changes? Same model years?

Thanks again guys!

-mark

/ TLB shopping...L45 / M59 Price Check and Questions #6  
I went with all Land Pride implements when I bought everything at the start. Land Pride did not offer a Backhoe mounted auger however. We got the auger that attaches on the bucket and welded it on a quick attach backhoe blank. The Auger plumbing lines we attach to the Thumb hydraulic lines. Might sound confusing but it works good. And it was much cheaper this way than buying one that is all set to go at a different place. Plus I was able to finance it with the tractor at 0%. I love the auger on the backhoe. Way easy to maneuver it around things and of course it has great down pressure.

/ TLB shopping...L45 / M59 Price Check and Questions #7  
I love the m59 and would buy it again no problem. Didn't realize they had blanks for the buckets yet - I keep pestering neil about that, as I'd like to put my hydraulic auger on the hoe too. Its nice on the FEL, be twice as nice on the hoe.

Getting up towards 400 hours on mine. Its so useful I'm running the clock twice as fast.

One thing - you can run regular flow bobcat stuff on the front of the m59 with the front remotes. Not sure if the 45 has the flow to do that? I've found that really useful.

Currently have a rockhound 6B, a harley rake, grapple, auger, york rake, snowplow, 4n1 bucket, all running on bobcat QA on the front

woody,

What model Land Pride auger did you use? HD 25...HD 35? You mentioned that you welded it to a quick attach backhoe blank...do you mean that you bought a spare Kubota Backhoe Bucket Quick Coupler and welded it on to that?

Thanks

-Mark

It looks like you can bolt the HD25/35 to a front bucket using a Land Pride bucket mounting adapter:

Auger1-2.jpg

Maybe this could be bolted to a rear bucket too? Hmmmmm.

-Mark

/ TLB shopping...L45 / M59 Price Check and Questions #10  
Friend has a fairly new (3 months) M59 and it continues to impress with its power.