Buying Advice Advice on purchasing an M59 - - Help Please

/ Advice on purchasing an M59 - - Help Please #1  

cms323

I am a GC and am contimplating the purchase of a new M59, and would like some advice on the intended uses. I have a few small home foundations to dig, some trenching work to do, and misc. other small site work tasks to complete. I would like some opinions as to if this machine is capable of the foundations in NE Pennsylvania, where we have some shale and inevidably run into hard bed rock from time to time. I would hate to make this purchase and find out that the machine is not large enough. I also intend on hauling it with a 2004 Chevy 2500. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Also, it is a new leftover 2008 that I can get for $46k..... good price?

/ Advice on purchasing an M59 - - Help Please #2  
I think 46k is a great price for an M59. I don't remember exactly, but that is within a few K of what I paid for my JD 110 a few years ago, and the M59 is a lot more capable machine.

I don't know what kind of rock you run into in PA, but in mountainous Southern OR, it would more than keep up with foundations and trenching.

/ Advice on purchasing an M59 - - Help Please #3  
I do a lot of digging in the mountains for communication sites, foundations,electric trenching and overall site development in the mountains of Pa. I use my 110TLB with much success.Without the hammer attachment no machine is going to cut limestone ledges or granite that we have in Pa. I subcontract out anytime we hit a rock vane. Nothing compares to the power of a 4ft bucket on a large trackhoe! The M-59 looks like a tough machine, but you must weigh out the wear and tear a hammer has on a piece of equipment plus your time . I tow with a F350 T-plate and a 13# trailer and feel the pucker factor once in a while, I think a 2500 series might be on the light side to haul a M series on a regular basis. I hope I answered you question and not in a negative way, the M-59 looks like a nice machine. Also since your a GC don't forget a set of forks for lifting material on the job site. I think we use the forks more than any other attachment .

Macdabs

/ Advice on purchasing an M59 - - Help Please
Thanks for the info. I agree, my 2500 is def on the light side, but the route that I will mostly travel is fairly flat and the distances will be short. I would look for a cheap used truck (hopefully dump) to haul with in the near future, but I do not have a CDL at this time. Info on the legality of me hauling with no CDL is also appreciated.

So, seems that the M59 will handle anything but limestone and granite, right? That is what I would have hoped, and realize that a hammer is needed in those situations. I just didn't want to buy the machine and find out that it loafs when shale and/or large rocks are discovered.

Thanks again, and I look forward to more thoughts on the subject.

PS. I would like the forks.... what other options and sizes of other attachments would be the most useful for the "whole project" ...ie lot clearing, grading, landscaping?

/ Advice on purchasing an M59 - - Help Please #5  
cms323 probably at least a 7' HD box blade (w/rippers) and a HD grapple. hydraulics would be nice on the bb for the rippers but expensive. In addition, I recently purchased a HD (3") diameter hydraulic top link....really convienent (and safer) than jumping off the tractor every time to adjust it. I have no experience in detaching a BH for 3 pt attachments so that may be an issue for everyday use of additonal rear attachments good luck bb

/ Advice on purchasing an M59 - - Help Please #6