Dealer Dealers in MD

/ Dealers in MD #31  
Yes you are right... But just think of the walls where you could post all the wonderful accomplishments we helped all our neighbors perform.

Actually does anyone know what it takes to open a dealership like that ???

/ Dealers in MD #32  
<font color=blue>Actually does anyone know what it takes to open a dealership like that ??? </font color=blue>

Great question. It doesn't appear to me that Deere or Kubota actively seek new dealers or "franchisees" the way a fast food chain might, or the way smaller equipment companies might. I'm sure you have stumbled across sites for small companies where there is a solicitation such as "Dealers/distributors Wanted" or "Contact us for Franchise Information."

Certainly there is a coordinated effort within Deere and Kubota to consider new dealers and it is likely an extension of their respective marketing departments. I'd bet you a donut that you could contact corporate headquarters for either company and request a packet for prospective dealers.

In a past professional life, I worked as a consultant under contract for two years for a growing restaurant chain in the midwest assisting in designing their franchising program. Any prospective applicant was screened pretty thouroughly to ensure the success of the location. Essentially you would "Apply" and be carefully interviewed. Your background, experience, and financial stability would be carefully assessed. If you were serious about pursuing a dealership, the parent company would do a detailed study about the proposed location which would include not just the postential outlying market and nearby competitors, but also buildings, lots, and leases.

The bottom line is that the company (1) has to like your experience and your level of commitment; (2) has to like your balance sheet; and (3) has to like your location.

We have all read the horror stories about "Dealers Gone Bad," and "Good Dealers Gone Bankrupt." That is just what you and I would try to avoid if we were responsible for a dealer program. That's why there are so many filters for applicants and parachutes for the company. I recall many an applicant rejected who complained that they felt like they were treated like a job applicant. From the parent company side of the table, applicants and locations for franchises were screened more thouroughly than management applicants.

If you contact Kubota corporate, give us posting on what they say. I'm real curious.

Regards,

/ Dealers in MD #33  
OK Big Pete...

I am going to see how well I can pursue this one... I will start a new thread going once I have some good information...