MX5100

/ MX5100 #1  

Hoosier Hay Man

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti DK45S Cab, Quicktach FEL
Stop at the local NH dealer who recently picked up Kubota, for parts for my haybine and took a look at a MX5100. Was impressed at it's simplicity. I am curious if anybody uses one for carring round bales 4x5. It looks like it would handle them alright. I also have a smaller barn it would work in well.

Any pro's and con's.

/ MX5100 #2  
i have one, have just under 100 hrs on it. i think it is a strong tractor. i've moved a lot of dirt with mine also have done some bush hogging with it and also did a fine job. i think it will do any job that any like sized tractor from any other brand would do. it makes some tight turns, and rides nice.

the complaints i have with it are the high rpm's for the pto (2700 rpms), i wish i had a hydro shuttle shift (can't get one on this tractor) a larger fuel tank (you can't run it for 8 hrs at full rpms with out refueling).

this was the best tractor i thought i could afford, mine is 4x4 w fel i paid 23k out the door.

i bought a 6' box blade, i think it could use a 7' easy. i have a 6' flail mower and it has never bogged down even when cutting 6' tall grass. so i think you could run a 7' there as well. i only point this out because i would love to have 7'ers now. everything else i buy will be 7'.

all and all i think you would like the tractor, i know my dad does as well as the my friends who always seem to have something for me to do.

let me know if you have any other questions and i'll try to answer

good luck
brian

/ MX5100 #3  
I had one for a short while, good gutsy basic tractor. yes, believe it can handle the bales, with good ballast on the rear, and would recommend filled rears with a tractor this light. the question would be how high you want to stack....going way up with a tractor this size could be shaky on uneven ground. good luck bb

/ MX5100 #4  
When shopping, check around with several dealers. I was very surprised a couple of months ago at the price variation I saw.

Of course a good dealer is important too.

Before you settle on the MX5100, check prices on the M5040 too. If you find a M5040 at a comparable price, I'd go that way. If not, I'm sure the MX would meet your needs.

Ken

/ MX5100 #5  
Before you settle on the MX5100, check prices on the M5040 too. If you find a M5040 at a comparable price, I'd go that way. If not, I'm sure the MX would meet your needs.

Ken

I agree, if you can swing a M5040 for a couple grands more I'd go that route. It is heavier and has the hydraulic shuttle, the smallest true utility tractor in the Kub line up.

I own a MX 5000 , same as the MX 5100 but for the turbo. Bought mine used with 200 hrs 2 years ago, now has 350....a very good basic machine, never had any issue with it.

I see it as the link between a compact and a utility, the front end is beefy like an small utility , the back end is more like a CUT. Like someone else mentionned , be sure to ballast the rear end for heavy lifting.

/ MX5100 #6  
I agree with KEN45101. When I was looking at tractors it came down between the MX5100 and the M5040. The M5040 is a heavier tractor and has more lift capability. I too, was in need of a tractor that could move round bales. There was only a few thousand dollars between the two and I am very happy with the M5040. Good Luck...............

/ MX5100 #7  
I have a m5400, similar to the m5040. (Mid 90's M series tractor) I would echo the view towards the heavier m5040. The extra 700#'s is a lot of mass if you are picking up large bales.
-design

/ MX5100
I stopped and drove the MX5100. I know it is no frills model, but it fits the budget and should be very reliable. I think it will fit the bill for me if we can work out a final price. Thanks for the feedback and advice. I have never owned a Kubota or driven one. I have farmed with Deere, IH, MM, Oliver and Ford, but the Kubota was a joy to drive.:)

/ MX5100 #9  
I stopped and drove the MX5100. I know it is no frills model, but it fits the budget and should be very reliable. I think it will fit the bill for me if we can work out a final price. Thanks for the feedback and advice. I have never owned a Kubota or driven one. I have farmed with Deere, IH, MM, Oliver and Ford, but the Kubota was a joy to drive.:)

i think your going to be happy with it. and as far as no frills i always point out Lincolns moto. . . if it ain't broke it needs more options:D

have fun with your new tractor.
brian

/ MX5100 #10  
i think your going to be happy with it. and as far as no frills i always point out Lincolns moto. . . if it ain't broke it needs more options:D

have fun with your new tractor.
brian

I looked at MX5100 today and the rear diff and 3 point hitch looks identical to the L4400 the front axle is a bit heavier in appearance. I like the MX5100 and the dealer told me that they are going to start ordering the newest mx4700/5100 in HST in the next week or so. I would have went that route for the stronger loader. Big Bri how is your loader doing since you made the adjustments?