Help with Buying Decision

/ Help with Buying Decision #1  

hpa_missouri

Boy do I need help. I never would have believed just how many different models there could be of one brand of tractor.

I am in need of a B7100 "type" of kubota tractor. Used and in pretty good shape or at least problems that I can fix myself.

The problem is I see a LOT of tractors in that area. I am looking at a G5200 that looks to me like it is a duplicate of the B7100 but if so, why have two different models??

My question for the people who are familiar with this type of tractor is, "given that I want something in the proximity of a B7100 with belly mower, is there another model(s) I should also be looking at also"?? For instance, the G5200 HST is being offered to me for a REALLY good price with a belly mower. Should I look at this instead of searching for a B7100 or should I keep looking for a B7100??

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Harry

/ Help with Buying Decision #2  
Harry,
First, let's start by sorting through some of the clutter. Any Kubota that starts with a "G" is a far cry from a Kubota that starts with a "B". Whatever the numbers that follow, the beginning "letter" is the identifier for a model line or series.

A "G" model is merely a lawn mower type machine, often called a garden tractor, although it's usefulness to a gardener is limited. It is simply a riding lawn mower.

A "B" series tractor, is much, much larger. The B7100 is real tractor. While it can be adorned with a large mowing deck, slung underneath, but make no mistake, this is no riding lawn mower, but a tractor. It can utilize all style of farm implements and all kinds of construction type implements, such as a front end loader with bucket.

If you wish to clear through the clutter of all the models produced over the years by Kubota, let's start with this question.

What do you wish to do with this Kubota you are searching for? How large or small is your property? I might be too quick in offering you many suggestions of models to look at, but first, are you essentially looking for a sturdy, riding mower or a tractor that can plow, push snow, run farm attachments and like?

/ Help with Buying Decision #3  
Boy do I need help. I never would have believed just how many different models there could be of one brand of tractor.

I am in need of a B7100 "type" of kubota tractor. Used and in pretty good shape or at least problems that I can fix myself.

The problem is I see a LOT of tractors in that area. I am looking at a G5200 that looks to me like it is a duplicate of the B7100 but if so, why have two different models??

My question for the people who are familiar with this type of tractor is, "given that I want something in the proximity of a B7100 with belly mower, is there another model(s) I should also be looking at also"?? For instance, the G5200 HST is being offered to me for a REALLY good price with a belly mower. Should I look at this instead of searching for a B7100 or should I keep looking for a B7100??

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Harry
I would get HST and PS and if you want or need a loader get one with it cause finding a loader later for a B7100 is next to impossible.

/ Help with Buying Decision
If you wish to clear through the clutter of all the models produced over the years by Kubota, let's start with this question.

What do you wish to do with this Kubota you are searching for? How large or small is your property? I might be too quick in offering you many suggestions of models to look at, but first, are you essentially looking for a sturdy, riding mower or a tractor that can plow, push snow, run farm attachments and like?

Thanks for the response. How to begin?

First, I just today figured out that the G is just a riding mower. I finally saw a picture of one and it became obvious that it isn't what I want.

I "think" what I need is the second option you gave. A small tractor that you can hook a variety of implements on to.

I live on ten semi-cleared acres with access to five hundred acres around me. I want a "tractor" that has a rear pto/3 pt hitch. I want a belly mower so I can leave the mower on the tractor all the time and attach other stuff to the rear pto as I need it. Like, a generator or a box blade or a small bush hog, or a snow blade or even maybe a small front end loader. I won't be doing a LOT of snow plowing. Probably only about 200 yards out to the main county road. I'll probably mow most of the cleared part of the ten acres with the tractor. I don't think I'll ever get the urge to buy a backhoe but I think I've heard of them being on the B7100?

I don't know that I need HST. My brother-in-law has a bigger Kubota and it has the fancy drive system. He just pushes the pedal forward to go forward and backward to go back. Pretty neat but I think that size tractor is not in my budget right now. I think the HST adds a lot to the cost too. Power steering would be nice but not a fixed requirement.

I started zeroing in on the B7100 due to a LOT of reading on the web and looking at prices. I feel (without any expertise at all) that that model would fit what I need one for. But that is what prompted the question. Is there a Kubota that is in the range of the B7100 but is a better buy??

Thanks a lot for your help.

Harry

Harry,

A "G" model is merely a lawn mower type machine, often called a garden tractor, although it's usefulness to a gardener is limited. It is simply a riding lawn mower.

I forgot. The really big confusion factor for me with the G5200 was that it looks like it has the exact same engine as the B7100. A three cylinder diesel. Maybe it doesn't but it sure looks like it to me.

Thanks again,

Harry

I would get HST and PS and if you want or need a loader get one with it cause finding a loader later for a B7100 is next to impossible.

Thanks for the response. I was trying to figure out if I needed the HST. It sure is handier to use but what I can't tell is if it adds to the cost on the used market? Also power steering is nice and maybe it is a requirement with 4wd, I don't know because I don't have any experience with the Kubotas.

YET

And I hadn't noticed it yet in my searching, but I can see where it might be a little hard :) to find a FEL after I buy a used tractor. I may go back and start looking on the web again.

thanks again,

Harry

/ Help with Buying Decision #7  
Harry

OK, next step in the "lifting of the fog"

First, don't get locked down to a specific "B" model, the numbers behind the B.

Kubota has made many, many B models, so try to forget about the numbers that follow the B. Those numbers represent model years, features, upgrades over the years, horse power, and so forth. If you are shopping used, you cannot focus on just one particular model of over 40 renditions of the B that Kubota has made over the years.

Yes, from what you describe, you want a Kubota B or perhaps, a Kubota BX, which is smaller, slightly less money version.

Go to Kubota Tractor Corporation Web Site

There you can study the B and the BX. Again, don't pay that much attention to the numbers behind B or BX. That can come much, much later but again, if you are shopping used, you look at a particular tractor and weigh its merits. How much money? How many hours? What condition? and so forth. Right now, you need to just become familiar with these two sizes of Kubota. Also helpful is Used Tractors at TractorHouse.com: John Deere Tractors, used farm tractors and farm equipment, Case IH, New Holland, Agco, Caterpillar.

There will see lots and lots of kubotas offered. You will be able to see what prices are for various machines of various years. Good Luck

/ Help with Buying Decision #8  
I want a belly mower so I can leave the mower on the tractor all the time and attach other stuff to the rear pto as I need it. Like, a generator or a box blade or a small bush hog, or a snow blade or even maybe a small front end loader. I won't be doing a LOT of snow plowing. Probably only about 200 yards out to the main county road. I'll probably mow most of the cleared part of the ten acres with the tractor.

You cannot leave the mid mount mower on while you are doing "rough ground work" without possibly damaging it. They generally only lift several inches and that might not be enough to clear things while you are doing bush hogging, box blading, snow plowing, etc. A rear mount finish mower (RFM) may make more sense if you want to use it with a wide variety of attachments.

I don't know that I need HST. My brother-in-law has a bigger Kubota and it has the fancy drive system. He just pushes the pedal forward to go forward and backward to go back. Pretty neat but I think that size tractor is not in my budget right now. I think the HST adds a lot to the cost too. Power steering would be nice but not a fixed requirement.

Power steering is probably important for a mower especially if you have to cut around obstacles. Otherwise you have to really slow down to steer. Without HST (forward and backward pedals), you have to downshift or slip the clutch (bad!) to slow down. For something that is primarily a yard mower, I would highly recommend power steering and HST. Ten years ago, I bought a Kubota without power steering for mowing 5 acres. I was trying to keep the price down. It went back to the dealer after about 5 hours use and I got a B2710 (PS, HST), which I still have. Remember, it's less costly to spend a bit more in the first place and get the right tool rather than to be dissatisfied and end up trading it in after a year or two.

If the right tractor isn't in the budget now, look at the used market for something with a couple of hundred hours on it and in good shape.

Ken

/ Help with Buying Decision #10  
1*I don't know that I need HST.
2*Power steering would be nice but not a fixed requirement.
3*Also power steering is nice and maybe it is a requirement with 4wd, I don't know because I don't have any experience with the Kubotas
4* My brother-in-law has a bigger Kubota and it has the fancy drive system. He just pushes the pedal forward to go forward and backward to go back. Pretty neat but I think that size tractor is not in my budget right now.
5*And I hadn't noticed it yet in my searching, but I can see where it might be a little hard :) to find a FEL after I buy a used tractor.
6*I may go back and start looking on the web again.
Harry
1* 2*&3* With a feel you will definately want all of these items/features.
HST makes all the difference in the world when driving into a pile to fill the FEL bucket.
A loader full of dirt sand or gravel steers mighty hard with out PS meaning sore shoulders and a tired aching back by the end of the day.
That ole clutch knee can start to ache from all that chainging from forward to reverse when hauling with the FEL.
4*The Size and the budget has nothing to do with that.
Here are my 3 Kubotas.

They are Kubotas smallest tractors and lowest dollar cost.
Yet they all 3 have HST and power steering and 4 wheel drive.
5*If you buy a B7100 w/o FEL and want one later for it you will likely have to buy another B7100 that al ready has a FEL on it then sell one of the B7100s later.
Seem like a big hassle to get a FEL to me.
I dont like buying 2 to get 1 myself.
Did that once. :eek:
6*If i were shopping for a new or used Kubota
the first place I'd look is Barlows Equipment right here on TBS .
BRADY BARLOW has gotten rave reviews here.
Barlow Equipment - Home of the Kubota Tractor Package Builder

Last edited: