B5100E - Will it fit in my pickup bed?

/ B5100E - Will it fit in my pickup bed? #1  

jinman

Rest in Peace
Tractor
NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee
I'm considering buying a B5100E with a RFM for cutting parts of my lawn that are really too rough for my yard riding mower, but areas I'd like better looking than my rotary cutter. After all, my rotary cutter is pulled behind my 45 hp tractor that weighs close to 5,000 lb. I could put a RFM on that tractor, but I'd rather not.

Anyhow, I was considering hauling the B5100E in my 7'x12' dump trailer, but it suddently dawned on me that I might be able to put the B5100e and RFM into my pickup truck bed. The truck is a Dodge 3/4 ton with an 8' bed. I know the entire tractor and mower will go onto a 10' trailer. I'm thinking if the mower hangs off the tailgate too far, I might even be able to take it off and set if vertically on its edge inside the bed behind the tractor.

BTW, the tractor is a 1978 model (1st year of production). The fellow is asking $2000, but I'm thinking it and the mower will have to be in very good condition for me to offer more than $1500. I'm going to look at it on Friday, so I have some time for the advice of this forum to help me out some. I'd sure appreciate any advice or first-hand knowledge.

/ B5100E - Will it fit in my pickup bed? #2  
I've seen B6100 fit in pickup,front tires were tight fit passing wheel fenders in bed tho,and he had rear mower still attach..tailgate down w/block of wood under mower also fasten down to keep from moving...in state NH your allow 4' pass the tailgate,not sure about your location Jim.

Sound like you got darn good deal in the works. :)

Last edited:
   / B5100E - Will it fit in my pickup bed?
Thanks Thomas! Darn good info and advice.

/ B5100E - Will it fit in my pickup bed? #4  
jinman,

Just curious on why you would want to put it in the bed of your truck since you have a trailer? I get spooked any time I see someone loading quads, motorcycles, lawn tractors etc in the back of a pick-up. I have seen to many "ramps" break or move and the "whatever" is being loaded end up on top of a person, one person was pretty messed up. Just hate to see something that size end up on top of a person.

Thanks
Tom

/ B5100E - Will it fit in my pickup bed?
Just curious on why you would want to put it in the bed of your truck since you have a trailer? I get spooked any time I see someone loading quads, motorcycles, lawn tractors etc in the back of a pick-up. I have seen to many "ramps" break or move and the "whatever" is being loaded end up on top of a person, one person was pretty messed up. Just hate to see something that size end up on top of a person.

Thanks for your concern, Tom. The reason I want to haul in my pickup is that it is extremely easier to drive a single vehicle without a tow vehicle for the 600 mile round trip to go look at the tractor. If I don't like the tractor, I'll be pulling an empty trailer the whole way.

The B5100E weighs less than 1000 lb and the RFM is about 250 lb. That's exactly in the weight range of my pickup. It seems that would be the most efficient way to do the job.

About the ramps. . . I will have to use ramps to load the trailer as well as the pickup. I won't be using cheap ramps rated for 500 lb or less. These are the 7' ramps that came with my utility trailer. When I remove the side cables on my truck's tailgate, there is a gap that the ramp retainer lip can sit inside between the pickup bed and the bottom of the tailgate. Considering load distribution to all four of the tractor's wheels, there will never be more than about 300 lb on a single ramp at that point.

You are correct to say that loading and unloading are critical times to be extremely careful. That's true on a trailer as well as the truck and I thank you for reminding me that this needs to be planned with a large safety factor and executed with great care.:)

/ B5100E - Will it fit in my pickup bed? #6  
Thanks jinman, looks like you are looking a one time trip in the back of the truck and with this being the go look and maybe buy trip I can see why now. Also looks like you have it pretty well planned out and are well aware of the risks and how to cope with them.

Guess now all I can say is have fun and I hope you find a keeper.

Tom

/ B5100E - Will it fit in my pickup bed? #9  
jinman,

Thanks
Tom

I agree with Tom..I've also had the tailgate straps break which would a very bad situation with ramps mounted and 1000# machine...I agree pulling a trailer 600 miles is a pain, but it's sure safer.

/ B5100E - Will it fit in my pickup bed? #10  
I'm considering buying a B5100E... it suddently dawned on me that I might be able to put the B5100e and RFM into my pickup truck bed. The truck is a Dodge 3/4 ton with an 8' bed...

I once safely carried a B7100 in the bed of a Ford Ranger.
Doing this places special demands on the driver in terms of ensuring safe handling of the pickup.