Kubota makes excellent tractors...but why so MUCH more expensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Kubota makes excellent tractors...but why so MUCH more expensive? #1  

Owenslee

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota M5040HD 4WD, Ford 8N , White 105, Case 1200 4WD, (1) TO-20 (3) TO-30 Fergusons
I need to get this off my chest...

I have recently been shopping 50 HP 4wd tractors and had narrowed my selection down to the new Mahindra 35 series in either the 45 or 50 hp versions and the Kubota M5040.
After obtaining multiple quotes form Kubota dealers for a open platform M5040HD with FEL with skid steer bucket and grill guard... the cheapest quote for a 2009 model was $6800 higher than the 4535 Mahindra and $5150 higher than the more evenly matched 5035 Mahindra. Granted...the Kubota M5040 had the Hydro Shuttle which adds $1000 over the Syncro Shuttle model... a closer match to the Mahindra. But the Mahindra has a 12F/12R trans compared to the 8F/8R Kubota and weighs about 300 lbs more. Lift capacity of the FEL is comparable with shuttle buckets on both yet the Kubota has a 72" bucket compared to a 75" on the Mahindra.

I could see an extra $1-$2K for the Kubota...but not $5K to almost $7K higher... What am I missing here?

The other issue was that I was told that dealer cost was about 20% under MSRP and that many dealers would sell at about 13 % under MSRP and still make an acceptable markup. Some would further discount last year models that had been sitting in their lot for 12 months or more. Apparently not here in Missouri. The cheapest quote for a 2009 model was $29850 and the dealer was emphatic that this was a firm price....non negotiable. I did find a 2008 model that was described as " weathered"...for $29008.00. According to the Kubota web site the MSRP for that combination is $33044. So the lowest 2009 model bid was only 10% under MSRP. Is business that good that Mahindra dealers are unwilling to be more competitive with other brands...?

I really LIKE the M5040HD...but I simply cannot cost justify spending an extra $5-$7K over a comparable Mahindra tractor that offers a good dealer network, good customer service and excellent durability record. In 2009 Mahindra touted that they were the world's 3rd largest tractor manufacturer with aggressive pricing, quality product and a strong customer following. It just seems odd that under this competitive pressure...some Kubota dealers don't realize they are losing potential business with their pricing policies.

Just my $.02...

OK I feel better now.

/ Kubota makes excellent tractors...but why so MUCH more expensive? #2  
Sometimes the up and comer (Mahindra in this case) has to offer more for less in order to compete with the more established company and develop a name for itself. Thus the consumer gets a good deal, if the product is good. That isn't just true for tractors. If Mahindra is #3, who is #1 and #2? I suspect John Deere and Kubota who both command premiums to Mahindra because they have proven that they are quality products with big dealer networks.

In my own case I wouldn't buy a Mahindra. I have no idea where the nearest Mahindra dealer is, but it isn't close, and good dealer suport is very important to me.

/ Kubota makes excellent tractors...but why so MUCH more expensive? #3  
Sometimes the up and comer (Mahindra in this case) has to offer more for less in order to compete with the more established company and develop a name for itself. Thus the consumer gets a good deal, if the product is good. That isn't just true for tractors. If Mahindra is #3, who is #1 and #2? I suspect John Deere and Kubota who both command premiums to Mahindra because they have proven that they are quality products with big dealer networks.

In my own case I wouldn't buy a Mahindra. I have no idea where the nearest Mahindra dealer is, but it isn't close, and good dealer suport is very important to me.

I agree with everything said. I live in a fairly agricultural area with a good selection of Kubota, New Holland, Case/IH, John Deere, Massey Ferguson, Cub Cadet and Bobcat dealers. I have no idea where the closest Mahindra dealership is. I know of exactly one Kioti dealership and they are a pretty new startup business. I don't know of any other dealerships close by. To me, I like to have good dealer support and won't even consider Mahindra, Kioti, etc because I don't even know where to get accessories, have them worked on, etc. While I don't like paying the extra, I do know that a part of the price for NH, JD, Kubota, MF, etc. is the established dealership and service network.

And it's been my experience in my tractor search that Kubota offers some of the best value in CUT's. At least for me in my search for a cab tractor Kubota seems to price their entries in the tractors that I am considering very competitively.

/ Kubota makes excellent tractors...but why so MUCH more expensive? #4  
Why are Hondas or Toyotas more than Kias or Hyundai? Same reasons as in the tractor world.

/ Kubota makes excellent tractors...but why so MUCH more expensive? #5  
When I was pricing out my B7800, a similar tractor in JD or NH clothing was 3-5k more then the Kubota, so I guess it's really relative to the comparison.

/ Kubota makes excellent tractors...but why so MUCH more expensive? #6  
If Mahindra is #3, who is #1 and #2? I suspect John Deere and Kubota who both command premiums to Mahindra because they have proven that they are quality products with big dealer networks.

You seem to have left out a very large manufacture of very well made tractors ! New Holland. I believe they have also proven that they are quality products with big dealer networks. New Holland was "in my opinion only" (yes I proudly own one) the first manf. to use some inovative ideas in their design of the boomer line. sloped hood, curved loader arms and improved operators area makes using one of these tractors a shere joy. I now see some of those ideas being used by the other manf. When I purchased in 2003 I drove all 3 big name brands. NH had my vote, hands down. That said.
I think, feel and truely believe that the top 3 are JD, Kubota & NH. In which order I won't guess or speculate because I don't know and couldn't back up my statement with any fact.
I also feel pretty confident in saying that Mahindra is not #3. I had an opportunity to look them over at one of my local fairs this fall and I was not impressed with what I saw.
Now that may very well be a good tractor and I am sure they are. But there's no way there #3 in the line up.

/ Kubota makes excellent tractors...but why so MUCH more expensive? #7  
One thing to keep in mind is that you'll get half or more of the difference back upon trade in or a private re-sale. You may intend to keep the tractor for ever, but one never knows. Just something to keep in mind.

/ Kubota makes excellent tractors...but why so MUCH more expensive? #8  
With the Mahindra, for re-sale or trade-in, you'll take a bath. Kubota makes their own engines in Japan. Don't know who makes the engine in this Mahindra, and it and the tractor MAY be made in India. Look at problems posted in the owning/operating section of each brand (anecdotal, but many more total units represented by Kubota). I think these are reasons that you do get what you pay for.....Good luck.

/ Kubota makes excellent tractors...but why so MUCH more expensive? #9  
Teach Kubota a lessen and buy the Mahindra...

If you are trying to talk yourself into the kuboota... ("I really LIKE the M5040HD") then they are pricing it about right. imho.

/ Kubota makes excellent tractors...but why so MUCH more expensive? #10  
I don't think you will find many people on this board that are going to tell you the Mahindra is a better tractor than the Kubota. You will find some people that will try to tell you that it is as good. There are just certain things that always seem to be held up to a higher standard, Mercedes cars for example. Kubota and John Deere are a couple of examples in tractors. Depending on how you are going to use your tractor, the Mahindra may hold up really good for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.