OPINIONS NEEDED

/ OPINIONS NEEDED #1  

CHENO

I have the oportiunity to purchase a 2005 B21 rental unit with 250 hours. I have read all of the post about do not buy a rental unit. But with only 250 hours and a 2005 model for $10,500. should I consider purchasing anyway,it would have to have considerable damage compared the prices I am seeing same model and hours, for it not to be a good deal. I have added pictures please give me your honest opinion this is my first tractor purchase.

Attachments

• 100_2898.jpg
    100_2898.jpg
    496.5 KB · Views: 233
  • 100_2899.jpg
    100_2899.jpg
    428.8 KB · Views: 271
   / OPINIONS NEEDED #2  
I'd be tempted because of the work you will be able to do...

I try to look at things as rent vs. buy...

Some equipment I bought because I knew it was paid for after 2 or 3 projects...

Look it over real good... how does the yard maintain it's equipment?

Can you rent it with the rental going to the purchase?

/ OPINIONS NEEDED #3  
I think 10.5 K is a pretty good price for a B21 with only 250 hours. I would look it over pretty closely, checking for leaks underneath the tractor and at the hoses. If you have a friend thats experienced with tractors, bring him along and see what he thinks.

Things to look at and for would include; tires, battery, radiator fluid, hydraulic fluid, bent cyclinder rods, and general overall condition of the unit.

In my opinion,the B21 is a dirt moving machine. It's pretty compact, stable, well built, easy on fuel, and is a bulldog in the dirt.

You haven't said what your main usage would be. If you're looking for a dirt mover, the B21 is great! The backhoe is easily removed for access to the 3PH and PTO. That being said, the PTO HP is fairly low, (around 13 HP), so if you're looking for 3PH stuff, you are somewhat limited in size for accessories.

I bought a used 2004 B21 about a year ago, and I'm very happy with it.

/ OPINIONS NEEDED #4  
Buying rental is no different then buying used. I have bought rental machines and have had NO troubles. I believe what is important is the machines shape. Whether it is a rental or used, you'll need to go over it with a fine tooth comb. Check the fluids not only site but smell, and feel also. Look for damage especially underneath and the hard to see places. Listen to it run, see if anything sounds out of place or loose, take it for a spin. If you aren't sure what to look for take a friend with knowledge of mechanics. Quize the owner see if he is legit on proper maintanence.

/ OPINIONS NEEDED #5  
I bought a Kubota rental unit this Spring with about 250 hours at about $3,500 under best new price. Knew the dealer and they have good rep. I know the machine was just used pulling a mower and the dealer put new loader on it for me for same price as another used machine that had "used loader" I saw the maintenance records and they did all required work and did fluid and included fluid and filter change when I got it. Machine looked about brand new other than a few scratches where boots scuffed it up getting in and out. Now mine was a 2008 and was a year old so has 2 years left on warranty also. Have about 60 hours on it and love it.

/ OPINIONS NEEDED #6  
My only question is how SURE of you on the hours? It just looks a little too beat up for that few of hours. I know rental units have a pretty rough life, but to my eyes, it looks like a higher hour machine.

/ OPINIONS NEEDED #7  
You are thinking of investing $10K.

If you were investing on the stock market, or buying a house you would use an investment broker or a real estate agent for advice.

On a tractor (unless you are a mechanic) why not use an unbiased opinion.

Go to Kubota, hire a mechanic to come and evaluate the machine for you.
He will (should) provide you with a list and estimate of needed repairs to bring it up to snuff.

Not only will he evaluate and point out that which is outside of 'normal wear' but he'll provide you with valuable info to negotiate but most important, you won't end up with costly major surprises.

To me a couple of hours of an expert opinion is very cheap assurance.
Cost? maybe $150?---bargin!

/ OPINIONS NEEDED #8  
The hours seem real low for a rental machine. It seems that most home owner users put about 100 hours per year on a machine. A rental machine should log more than that if it is making any money. Does the hour meter look newer and does it work? It seems like a real good price.

That said I would not be scared to buy a rental unit from a good rental yard. The B21 is a tough little tractor and barely broken in at 250 hours. Mine has 1500 hours and has never been to the shop.

I would check how loose the backhoe is. A lot of slop would indicate worn pins and bushing that I would not expect with 250 hours. Make sure all the 3pt hitch parts are with the tractor they are expensive. I can see the top link mounted in its storage place on the left front loader support. The 3pt arms store on the left frame rail.

MarkV

/ OPINIONS NEEDED #9  
I was going to suggest what Piloon did, except maybe take it to the Kubota dealership to have them look it over there and test things that often go bad.

/ OPINIONS NEEDED #10  
In my opinion,the B21 is a dirt moving machine. It's pretty compact, stable, well built, easy on fuel, and is a bulldog in the dirt.

I would not agree about "stable". I guess it's okay as far as stability but I wouldn't give it praise for stability, it's a bit on the narrow side, and it is the least stable (most scary) machine I've used but then I live in steep hill country. I get nervous when I have to get mine sideways on the driveway to clean out the ditch.

I agree it's well built and easy on fuel, but it is a small, low power machine.

Ken

Kubota: B21 TLB, B2710, M5040, M9540, KX-121
JD: 325 ss