Six Lessons learned from shopping for a new 50hp Kubota Tractor

/ Six Lessons learned from shopping for a new 50hp Kubota Tractor #1  

Owenslee

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota M5040HD 4WD, Ford 8N , White 105, Case 1200 4WD, (1) TO-20 (3) TO-30 Fergusons
Or...How to save over $2600 on the same identical tractor... from two different Kubota dealers.

As some of you recall I recently posted a thread asking for input from Kubota owners to help me rationalize the higher prices being asked by some Kubota dealers for a M5040HD compared the new 45 and 50 hp 35 series Mahindra.

Before the thread was edited and locked, I was accused of Kubota bashing, advertising for Mahindra, and it was even suggested by a well-respected Kubota dealer that I was a clandestine Mahindra employee. None of which was true.

However, several other members offered excellent input and recommendations and were genuinely helpful to my efforts.

One member even went to the Mahindra forum where he confirmed and reported back that my search for information on both Kubota and Mahindra tractors was legitimate, but to no avail. In the minds of several, I was still a Mahindra Troll.

Well, to those who questioned my motives...Today I bought a Kubota M5040HD with 1.7 hrs having a Hydro Shuttle, FEL with Skid Steer QC bucket, grill guard, one rear remote and liquid filled rear tires. The agreement included delivery to my farm and the dealer will perform the 50 hr inspection at no charge. Total price out the door was $27,200.00

The lessons I learned from this process were very informative.

1. All Kubota dealers do not charge similar prices for identical tractors for a variety of reasons. However the most important is that the dealers pay substantially different prices for these tractors depending on when the dealer purchased them. One of the dealers who had quoted a "high" price and was inflexible in negotiations I learned had purchased his tractor in July of 2009. However, the tractor I ultimately bought had been purchased in January of 2008 for substantially less money. Both were identical tractors yet the dealer cost for these two examples differed by over $1700.00 simply as the result of when they were acquired by the dealer.

2. Dealers can sell tractors from another dealers lot for prices lower than the dealer who actually has possession of the tractor. The tractor I bought came from a dealer who had quoted a $29,008.00 delivered price without any further concessions such as liquid in the tires. Yet a second Kubota dealer closer to me was able to quote the very same tractor for $27,200.00 with the added concessions included. He simply called the dealer who had the tractor in inventory who agreed to transfer the tractor to the second dealer. I was totally unaware of this practice and it opens up additional opportunities to obtain better pricing by simply contacting more dealers and see who is more aggressive in making a sale.

3. The condition or deterioration of a tractor is not always reflected in how long a tractor has been in a dealer's inventory. One M6040HD I looked at was delivered in January of 2009 and looked used. It had considerable white corrosion on many of the bolts and hardware, rust was present on the bucket, rims and rear end housing and the paint looked faded on flat horizontal surfaces. Yet it was only a 10 month old tractor with less than 6 hrs that had been sitting outside all year. By contrast, the tractor delivered in January 2008 with 1.7 hrs had been parked inside a metal building. It looked showroom new yet it was 22 months old.

4. It pays to keep looking. The best results came after I asked a dealer, who did NOT have the model I was looking for, to search all available inventory in a four state area. He looked for the specific model I wanted and then looked for inventory that was bought by a dealer in 2008 or earlier. That's how I ultimately located the tractor I bought and saved over $2600 in the process. However this tact obviously does not work for a dealer who has the model in stock as he will want to sell you his tractor over a cheaper alternative at another dealer.

5. A $2600 savings was enough to allow me to cost justify the Kubota over the 35 series 50 HP Mahindra. Many of the objective and positive comments received from several other Kubota owner's also helped me make this decision. Thanks goes out to those individuals.

6. However, not all comments received were "helpful". I am still confused by how I was treated by some on this forum when I came here asking honest questions while in the process of making a buying decision. I guess the final lesson learned is that not all owners like to have potential buyer's question their own brand of choice without becoming overly defensive. And that's unfortunate, as it discourages and alienates potential new buyers.

Kerry

/ Six Lessons learned from shopping for a new 50hp Kubota Tractor #2  
Congrats on the new tractor, thanks for the update.

/ Six Lessons learned from shopping for a new 50hp Kubota Tractor #3  
Another lesson learned should be that forums are full of people with opnions and some facts. We all feel our opinions are the best for us and most likely for anyone who asks us. In the end you have to decide for yourself what is best for you. After all your the person you have to please the most (unless your married then you come second).

I wish you many years of happy tractoring and await your post of your new addition.

/ Six Lessons learned from shopping for a new 50hp Kubota Tractor #4  
Ownslee,

Glad you got a good deal on your tractor, you sure earned it. I discovered some of these same things when I bought my first small Kubota in 03, but not all, so thanks for the information.

A forum is like any gathering of people, some are going to be helpful, some not, some impartial and some not. Some of us think we know it all and some not, well you get the picture.

LEBrown has been ragged for having three tractors of the same size and people on both forums have taken me to task for owning a John Deere and Kubota of essentially the same size.

It ain't always easy, but you just have to learn to take the good with the bad and not be too sensitive; still working on that myself...

/ Six Lessons learned from shopping for a new 50hp Kubota Tractor #5  
Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to to the club.

Like other posters have already stated this is a forum and you will get a lot of opinions. These comments will range from insightful to not very helpful. Some are on the borderline of being rude.

As you probably noticed that particular thread was closed. I am sure it was because the moderator did not believe some of the replies were in keeping with philosphy of the website.

I think the best way to deal with negative comments is to ignore them. Like water off a duck's back.

All the best,

Dennis

/ Six Lessons learned from shopping for a new 50hp Kubota Tractor #6  
Congratulations on your new tractor ! :)

I do have one question...... aren't your co-workers at Mahindra gonna be upset ?? ;);)

Bwaahahahahahahha !! :D

/ Six Lessons learned from shopping for a new 50hp Kubota Tractor #7  
Dealers do trade equipment on a regular a basis in many areas. There are times that it is done when a dealer is out of a particular item, or when they know a dealer has a piece that he would like to get rid of, a piece that is dated and due!!!!!

There are times we have regreted taking on a piece of dated machinery that was assembled wrong and needed total reassembling, or found them to be in poor condition from possible demo's or just where the dealer might be located and his display lot. Thats all just part of the everyday business and can be the main challange of trying to be there tommorrow.

I know you will enjoy your Kubota and it sounds like you found a dealer that is willing to go the extra distance for your business!

/ Six Lessons learned from shopping for a new 50hp Kubota Tractor #8  
Insecurity over ones tractor choice can make some people touchy when you dare question the value of a certain brand or model. Some people live or die over trivial things. Countless debates over tires, brands, you name it. I love my tractor. But I love all tractors. Kind of like dogs. Some are cuter or more well behaved, but they all are great to have around. It's the owners who have the problems. Same with tractors. We all like to have our opinions validated, but it's you who has to be happy. Kubota, Mahindra, both make a quality tractor that I would be proud to own. Kubota is my choice only because i have a great dealer who I really trust. The value of threads like these is that you learn who gives good unbiased advice and who wants validation for their own choices. There are some great people here with a wealth of knowledge. I've learned to listen to the many and ignore the few. Enjoy the tractor!

/ Six Lessons learned from shopping for a new 50hp Kubota Tractor #9  
You did provide some additional useful here which was appreciated.

I wouldn't have characterized your previous thread the way that you have here. You may have had one theme in mind but it didn't come across that way to me. On the other hand, I wouldn't want to try to justify the predilections of some of the people that haunt internet forums

/ Six Lessons learned from shopping for a new 50hp Kubota Tractor #10  
good info re your discoveries regarding new tractor negotiations.. thanks...