B....BX....or L Series?

/ B....BX....or L Series? #1  

robertwhite

Silver Member
Trying to narrow my search down and I think I have come to the conclusion that a BX is going to be to small for my needs. It will do the job, just take a long while.

I then looked into the B series which gets me a bigger frame, a lot more lifting capacity, etc.

Then there are used L series, which may be overkill, but you guys tell me.

Property: 15 acres, about 1/2 acre around house will be mowed with my 48" Bobcat walk behind. The rest of the land is split as 1/2 grass (finish or MMM) and 1/2 pasture (brush hog + cows at some point).

Property is pretty much level all around. Some orchard trees on the grass field.

Needs: I absolutely need a FEL and I would REALLY like a backhoe. I could either do the finish mowing with a pull behind or a MMM, and would need a brush hog for the pasture.

In looking at the BX series, I really think it will be too small. I don't want to pull a 48" brush hog, as it will take several hours to do the 7 acres. I would like to do a 60". Lifting capacity of the BX FEL is only 500lbs which is a few large rocks or whatever. Doing a project can be done, it will just take forever.

The B series will allow for a FEL load of a 1/2 ton, and should easily allow for a 60" hog. It is a more robust unit and I don't think I would feel "underpowered"

The used L series would certainly do any job I would need, but would probably be overkill, no?

What say you?

Edit to add: More than likely I will go used with either a B or an L just because of the fact that there are so many fine tractors with super low hours out there. I am trying to keep my budget as far under $20K as possible.

Last edited:
   / B....BX....or L Series? #2  
We went through a similar purchasing decision on a tractor after buying about 12 acres that was a mix of woods, some pasture that had been mowed for hay and some pasture type that had not been mowed in at least a year are two. We looked at BX24 and ended up with B2920. I think it was ther right decision to take care of needs on that property. The BX would have been great on our 3 acre home site which is all cleared, but not enough for this other property.

I have a 5' Bush Hog Squeeler rotary cut mower. The manual recommended 48 or 54, I don't remember which, but the dealer was confident it would handle the 60" fine and let me try it on my tractor to be sure. It spins it fine, you know it is back there and I usually keep the FEL on when using it for a counter balance. The part of the property that had not been cut was up over the hood of the tractor and it waded through it fine. Negative about the B's is they have 1/4" valve for the 3 pt hitch. The problem is the rough cut mower is heavy and while you mow, it tends to drop down gradually in front. You have to watch and bump it up ever so often while mowing or it is dragging. ChuckinNH has posted an adjustment to limit how much it will drop, but I have not tried it yet. Now that most of the mowed area is under contol and rocks have been picked up, I mow it with the MMM and keep it set at 4". It is easier to mow around trees and get in and out of areas. Also, the MMM can be removed on that model very easily, either by driving over it like the John Deeres or just sliding it out. Apparently this is more of a task on the BX's. If you could reasonably stay on top of the mowing, you may be able to avoid purchasing a rotary mower and have it mowed once or rent one and then use the finish or MMM to keep it mowed. I am still clearing brushy areas, so will need the Bush Hog for that. I would estimate I mow about 6 or 7 acres and it takes me about 4 hours with the 60" MMM.

/ B....BX....or L Series? #3  
I would also recommend a "B" if you are using it for finish mowing. If you get the B30 series (B2930 or B3030) they are the deluxe model with real position control (not 1/4") on the 3pt and ratcheting lower links. They also have a tilt steering wheel and other "deluxe" features.

The B20 series (B2320, B2620 and B2920) are considered a "standard" model so they do not have the deluxe features. The other issue with the 20 series is the middle and rear PTO both run at the same time, you can't only have one running. The 30 series has independent middle and rear PTO so they can be engaged independently of each other.

If you are only doing rough cut mowing the "L" is also a great choice. The L's are at least 1000 lbs heavier than the B30 series so they are not great on finished lawn areas. They are also much wider and longer so they are far less manuverable than a B or BX model. The width does help the stability though vs a B or BX. They also have a much stronger loader and the ability to use skid steer type q/a buckets etc.

I have owned all three types BX, B and now an L. I do not use my tractor for mowing, if I did, I would have kept my B. The BX is more of a small estate tractor with limited ground clearance, FEL capacity and 3pt capabilty. It is ideal for a home owner looking for a wheel barrow replacement and something to maintain the lawn and grounds with.

/ B....BX....or L Series? #4  
Depending on the time element you might want to go a L-series! You could go to a 6' or 7' twin spindle mower and cut a lot of time off your chores!

/ B....BX....or L Series?
Depending on the time element you might want to go a L-series! You could go to a 6' or 7' twin spindle mower and cut a lot of time off your chores!

Well, I would have to go used on an L series and I would imagine a 6-7 ft spindle is big bucks, no?

/ B....BX....or L Series? #6  
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...-b3200-bx2660-side-side-not.html?highlight=bx
This may help between B and BX. I had a L3240HST and traded back to the B3200. The L is considerably heavier and is more stable on level ground. Isn't as manuverable as B or BX. The Grand L is Grand but for mowing mostly the BX is King and amount of mowed acreage isn't a big factor between B or BX. For FEL and mowing the B is great. If field work and fel mostly then L is grand.

/ B....BX....or L Series? #7  
On the B2X20 series, I am fairly sure that when you are running the PTO in the 540 speed, it is only the rear one running. When you want to use the mid mount one that both run with the rear at 960 or I guess if you wanted to run something at the 960, it would be correct that the mid would also be running. There is 3 settings, off, both, or rear.

I agree that the Bxx30's are very nice and especially since I found out about the difference in using the 1/4" vs the standard 3PT, but a pretty big step in price.

I haven't really found that 1/4" system to be an issue for me except using the rotary mower. It seems ok for the box blade and rear blade so far but I don't do anything like plowing which may be more of an issue.

/ B....BX....or L Series?
Interesting link, thanks.

I would ask the members here the following:

Those with a B series that use it as a mower. Does it leave an impact or imprint on your lawn when used with R4 tires? A local dealer told me the R4 tires on a B series would have the same or less impact as a BX with turf tires. True or not?

/ B....BX....or L Series? #9  
I have a BX24 and I think the BX series would be too small for you, but it would get the job done if you had the time and needed to keep within that price range. I'm on only 1 acre and a BX24 is overkill here when it comes to day-to-day stuff (I don't use it for mowing), but it's done the major job's I originally needed it for and it's saved my back from a lot of stiffness. But I'll keep it for a while because it seems like I always find something I need to use it for.

You don't say where you are located at...will snow removal be and issue? I always thought if I had 10 to 20 acres, I'd look into a B3030HSD...maybe a B3030HSDC in the snowbelt if a non-Kubota backhoe was acceptable.

/ B....BX....or L Series? #10  
As much as I love my BX, for your needs I would get something bigger and you have already gotten some excellent advice.

I looked at the B series and with the hills around here was not comfortable with the height and width, so would go with a L myself.