2 or 4 wheel drive

/ 2 or 4 wheel drive #1  

klint

Bronze Member
is it better to have a smaller 20hp and under 4x4 or a bigger 20 and over 2 wheel drive?Would be used for mowing,plowing snow,and brush hogging.Can you get away with 2 wheel plowing snow.I know mowing and hogging hp is more important.

/ 2 or 4 wheel drive #2  
You did not include where you are located, so That would make a huge difference since total snow fall winds and drifting snow have to figured into the mix. In the past where I live in Up-state N.Y. we do regularly receive some huge snow falls and seeing that I live in the country surrounded by open cut fields of corn the wind is my enemy.My past tractors were 2 wd's with ring chains at around 55 HP. Even that Hp With the back blade I would spin the tires if snow was deep and wet, not a good thing for black top driveways. With a rear mount snow blower task was much easier but some times I would still spin tires. I had a BX23 TLB with front snow blower and I have to say never spun tires even when I went off blacktop, only used 4 WD when I went across back field to make paths for the dogs. That tractor was only 23 HP and with the front blower snow clean up was a dream, I can't say what it would do with plow because I never had one for it. But my experiences with plows and the weight of your machine and traction are your friend. Hopes this helps you make your choice.
DevilDog

/ 2 or 4 wheel drive #3  
Back in our youth, all tractors were 2wd. They worked hard and well. Many of them are still on farm, field and estate working.
The tractor then was a manual. It also likely weighed in heavy, with its cast iron body, and heavy iron features. It has large rear tires that turn slowly and surely. They also "only" had 12-24 hp and almost always burnt gasoline.

Today, a typical lighter tractor with nifty features like POWER STEERING rule the day. With Front Wheel Assist, they perform very, very well.

If I had to choose between 20-24 hp on a 2wd or 18-20 hp on 4wd, there'd be no consternation in choosing whatsoever. Oh wait, I did just have that choice!!:D:D:D No doubt 4wd.

I suspect you ask because if you had $12000 only, and had to choose spending that $12000 on the examples you gave, your $12000 would only buy one or the other. Or, buy used and get both hp and 4wd.

/ 2 or 4 wheel drive #5  
If you're mowing lawn, you'll want a lighter-weight tractor, hence smaller 4-wheel drive is better bet. Much also depends on the terrain of your land. For me, it would be the only way to go...

Mike

/ 2 or 4 wheel drive #6  
I would join the ones posted before me. The slower mowing lower HP 4 wd tractor would certainly be less frustrating in the snow when the 2wd would work much worse. Besides the 20-25 hp 2wd tractor will not weigh much more then the 16-20 hp 4x4.

/ 2 or 4 wheel drive #7  
4wd! makes me wonder what to use my 2wd simplicity for. Oh well, my 4wd Yanmar will do the job just fine.

/ 2 or 4 wheel drive #8  
Does anybody make an under 40 or 30 hp tractor that isn't 4WD? I haven't seen any late models in this range that are 2WD. I'm sure there are older tractors in this hp range that are 2WD, but it seems 4WD is almost standard now until you get to the big boys with their much heavier weight.

/ 2 or 4 wheel drive #9  
My father just went from a 2wd 50hp MF Industrial 35 (50hp Perkins, monster loader, loaded tires, wheel weights and chains) to a 4wd Kubota L3650 (~36hp, four loaded tires, much smaller, tighter turning radius, cab).
The Kubota will pull the 10' offset disc that he has better than the Massey used to. Time will tell, but I think it will be more useful than the old tractor was due to the fact that it has a better power to weight ratio and 4wd.

Aaron Z

/ 2 or 4 wheel drive
Im in michigan.The reason i ask 2 or 4 wheel is i was looking at buying kubota b1700 for $5800 but i could get a massey 1220 for $4000.The kubota is 4x4 and the massey is not.The kubota is 17hp and the massey is 20hp both hydro trans.I went and test drove a b7300 wich is the same 17hp as the b1700 and when i was testing the mowing deck (60inch mmm) the tractor felt like it was bogging down.I have never had anything but 4x4 tractors and i have had 33 to 20 hp ones but nothing under 20.Im just worried that the 17 hp might under powered.Your thoughts?