Looking to buy B1700, opinions wanted

/ Looking to buy B1700, opinions wanted #1  

nick95rs

Tractor
1996 Kubota B1700D
I have been looking for quite some time now at tractors, and I think I finaly found one. I found a 1996 B1700DT, 4WD. It has 474 hours on it. It is a one owner, and it is at a Kubota dealer. It was traded in on a zero turn mower. They are asking $4500 for it. I would like to get opinions from anyone. Also what do I need to look for when I go look at the tractor. I was actually hopeing to find somthing with a little more HP, but it is a great deal. If I get it, I will but a loader for it, and I will use a 4' brush cutter with it. Thanks for any input, it is greatly appreciated.

Nick

/ Looking to buy B1700, opinions wanted #2  
Before you decide to buy it ask the dealer what would a loader cost for the tractor installed at the time of purchase. (parts labor and all). When you get the quote take that number and look at other used tractors in that price range.
Craig's List / Tractorhouse.com are good sources. See how it compares to other tractors available in your area.
Good luck

/ Looking to buy B1700, opinions wanted #3  
Seems like a lot of money for very little tractor.

/ Looking to buy B1700, opinions wanted
I did get prices on loaders for the tractor. A factory Kubota loader (LA302) will cost me $3100+tax. That is not installed. I am going to install it my self. I have been looking at compact tractors for a while, and this seems to be a really good deal. I have not found anything with a FEL in decent shape for less than $8000. It is only 17HP, but I only have 3 acres and I only plan on using it with a 4' brush cutter, a finish mower, and a little dirt work. Thanks.

Nick

/ Looking to buy B1700, opinions wanted #5  
Nick,

I think you are looking at the right size machine for your need, but I would say you could do better. You said the dealer wants
$4500 for the tractor
$3100 for the loader
$600 +/- for the tax
You are over $8000 already.

If you have the cash you should look around some more.
I would be surprised if you could not find a B7500 of B7510 in the 8-9K price range with 400-500 hours. Both are more common with hydrostatic drive that would be a lot better for close quarters and loader work.
If you have not done this yet check out the website of Barlow Farm Equipment and Tractorhouse.com

/ Looking to buy B1700, opinions wanted #6  
Nick,

i just bought my 2003 B7500 21hp with Loader and MMM for 8 only three weeks ago. it was a one owner clean machine with only 409 hours on it. this is a buyers market, so i would say keep looking. to me, it's always seemed to be better to find one with everything already installed, rather than putting one together.

Brent

/ Looking to buy B1700, opinions wanted #7  
Nick, did you buy the B1700? Last March, purchased a B1750HST with 1221 hrs, Koyker loader, turf tires, & mid mount mower for $6K. Bought it off of Craig's list. I had to go east of OKC to pick it up, but feel it was worth the money and time.

/ Looking to buy B1700, opinions wanted #8  
Nick,

I think you are looking at the right size machine for your need, but I would say you could do better. You said the dealer wants
$4500 for the tractor
$3100 for the loader
$600 +/- for the tax
You are over $8000 already.

If you have the cash you should look around some more.
I would be surprised if you could not find a B7500 of B7510 in the 8-9K price range with 400-500 hours. Both are more common with hydrostatic drive that would be a lot better for close quarters and loader work.
If you have not done this yet check out the website of Barlow Farm Equipment and Tractorhouse.com

In July, I purchased a B7610 (same as B7510, but 24HP) with 124 hours on it, a LA352 FEL (lifts 120lbs more than the LA302), 60" york rake (forget the brand, sold it with my B7100), and a Woods PHD for $7500.

$8000 is definitely too much for a B1700 & FEL. There are better deals out there.

/ Looking to buy B1700, opinions wanted #9  
Hi guys! Nick bought the tractor back in December of 2009.