new Kubota M9540 opinions?

/ new Kubota M9540 opinions? #1  

GinNB

Gold Member
Tractor
2x Kubota M108S, M105S, 2x M9000, IH885, IH584, IH484, IH454, F3000, F3610, C50, JX70, Landini 5830, JD4630 sprayer
Anybody have some experience with these tractors? I like the idea of the new 6 speed DualSpeed tranny with pushbutton shifting. My 105S has a 4 speed stick with DualSpeed and I love it. Also wondering if anybody can compare them with the older M9000 models. Any flaws/weaknesses in the new models? 6 speed have any kinks that aren't worked out yet?

/ new Kubota M9540 opinions? #2  
I like the loader options for the 9540, specifically the hydraulic self leveling feature. The M9000 didn't have self leveling even the mechanical version.

/ new Kubota M9540 opinions?
I haven't used one of the new hydraulic types, but one of our M9000s has an M35 loader with mechanical self leveling. The other has an M740 without self leveling. I like the option of being able to self level or not, because I find that for most of my use I'd prefer to be without it unless working with pallets.

/ new Kubota M9540 opinions? #4  
Since it's only recently been released, it's much too soon to know if there are any latent issues with the Dual Speed transmission.

I like the power shift feature and additional ratios. I have long thought that the transmissions in the M series were inadequate vis-a-vis the competition.

I shopped the new M9540 but bought a New Holland because my dealer made me a much better deal on it.

SDT

/ new Kubota M9540 opinions? #6  
When did the M9540 get the dual speed transmission? Any other changes?

/ new Kubota M9540 opinions? #8  
Thats nothing new, we've had it in the bigger M's for years.

Are saying that the Dual Speed transmission in the M9540 is identical to those in the "bigger M's?" If not, as a former design and quality engineer for a major US automobile manufacturer, my earlier statement stands.

SDT

/ new Kubota M9540 opinions?
I'm with SDT. Unless the exact same components are used it's an unproven tranny. The technology may not be new but the implementation is. Same as the 6 speed vs 4 speed.

The DualSpeed in the 9540 was introduced about a year after the 40 series was introduced if my memory of the timing is right. I asked about it after seeing it in a brochure and my dealer said it wasn't quite available yet.

SDT, what New Holland did you get? I priced Deeres and Cases when buying ours and the 9000 was a MUCH better deal over the competition, to the tune of about $10,000. I like blue tractors (my first was a Ford 3000) but didn't get along well with the local dealer. I wasn't exactly alone in that (they went under), and the replacement dealer is a lot farther away than the 'bota, Deere, or CIH dealer. The Case price quote turned out to be a lot closer on the M105S we got, but the Case dealer was asleep at the wheel on that deal. Had to ask them THREE TIMES for a quote, and three weeks later when it finally arrived we'd already got the 105.

/ new Kubota M9540 opinions? #10  
I bought a T4050 with 16F-16R hudraulic shuttle, supersteer, FEL and cab. It's comparable in HP with the M9540 but a bit more compact, heavier and will turn closer, which is important to me. My dealer sells both. The current CNH incentives, may have lapsed on 11/30, made the NH a much better deal than the M9540 in a cash deal. This may not have been the case if financed.

Don't misunderstand, I like the M9540, especially with the Dual Speed. Indeed, I was initially looking for a M7040, even though I thought that the 8F-8R transmission marginal at best. My dealer told me that fitting out a 7040 with cab and FEL (he did not have one in stock) would cost more than the T4050, which he had in stock.

SDT