Am I crazy??? Move down from a B2400 to a BX22

/ Am I crazy??? Move down from a B2400 to a BX22 #1  

babybober

Tractor
B2400
HI:
OK, I need to get some feedback and advice.

Background: I have about 3 acres on the side of a hill (more like a slope) about 1 acre is trees so I mow 2 acres. I live in upsate NY so I have deal with winter and snow. The driveway is 120 ft long, again with a slope.

I have been doing a major additon on the house and bought a B2400 with loader, B4672BH, MMM, and some 3pt tools. It has worked great to build the driveway, regrade the front area, etc. I don't like the way it mows. The tractor is too heavy, the MMM is a contact type not suspended, and to be honest I have to mow in low gear to get up the hill. I kept my JD 345 for mowing instead of selling it off becasue it is just so much easier...

After this year I will have the majority of the major rework done. Should I sell off the B2400 and the JD and get a BX22? After having the B2400 will I be disapointed in the BX? It seems all the specs (loader, BH, 3 pt. etc) are all a lot less. WIll I notice the difference? Would I be happey with the MMM on the BX being suspended? Will it be mow and ride as well as the JD?

Bottom line, I am beginning to believe the B2400 is too much for the land I have after the major rework is done but the JD 345 just isn't enough to do the tough chores. I have gotten it stuck more than once, etc...

What should I do?

Babybober

/ Am I crazy??? Move down from a B2400 to a BX22 #2  
if your main concern is mowing then the bx might be the way to go, i have a 2400 with rfm for the large areas i cut but for my lawn i use a gt, i don;t know your conditions but it seems like we are in the same general area. i personally would not change.

/ Am I crazy??? Move down from a B2400 to a BX22 #3  
I have a BX2200 and a B7500 both with a 60" MMM. The truth of the matter is that the suspended deck on the BX2200 cuts faster and with much better quality than the B7500. You can not compare the quality of the cut. The B7500 deck is about 100 lbs heavier than tyhe BX deck.

Bottom line, suspended mower decks cut grass much better. I would assume your B2400 compares to the B7500.

If you are primarily concerned about grass cutting, than the BX is better, however, do not under estimate the power of the BX. I use 3 pt implements with no problems with the BX. Could luck with your decision.

Jon S.

/ Am I crazy??? Move down from a B2400 to a BX22 #4  
I also live on a slope and the BX22 has been perfect. It has a low center of gravity and is very stable on the hills, when done safely. I have graded my 800 foot driveway (with about a 20 degree slope) with a rake with excellent results. I can't comment on the mower because I don't have one on my BX, but for the backhoe, FEL, and rake, that little machine never ceases to amaze me.

/ Am I crazy??? Move down from a B2400 to a BX22 #5  
Believe it or not I have a BX22 and although I love it I kind of wish I would have gotten a bigger machine. I have 11 acres to maintain and really NEEDED a backhoe but now I'm just looking for jobs to use it. Shrug. Will we ever be satisfied?

/ Am I crazy??? Move down from a B2400 to a BX22 #6  
Re: Am I crazy??? Move down from a B2400 to a BX2

Let's see you asked "Am I crazy?" /w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif If I understand your proposition, you have a B2400 and want to know if you would be crazy to get a smaller machine, a BX if memory serves./w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif A passing reading of posts on TBN would lead a person to believe that every other tractor owner in the world wishes he/she had a BIGGER machine. /w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gifWell, I don't know if your crazy or not./w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif There may be a group some where you can go to for counciling. Or perhaps you could see a shrink./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gifBUT!! I think you are the best judge of your situation. It seems like you are looking at the right issues, and have some feel for your comfort level for both machines. I would suggest you ask your dealer for an in-home demo. Borrow a BX and see if you got a fit. IF you are happy and it fits better I'de go for the BX.Only thing I would add is to look down the road say 5-10 years and see if you might have a need for a bigger machine. If so think it over carefully, 'cause you are probably going to lose a little money in the exchange.

/ Am I crazy??? Move down from a B2400 to a BX22 #7  

For the price of going to a shrink, someone could probably afford a 2710, heck maybe even a 2910.

/ Am I crazy??? Move down from a B2400 to a BX22 #8  
I like the point that was made above, get your local dealer to drop off a BX22 with a MMM and try it out!

KCook

/ Am I crazy??? Move down from a B2400 to a BX22 #9  

If they live near the Big City they might ever be able to afford a 3710. :)

Read a story about a fellow in Germany that had been going out in the woods and screaming to relieve stress. The neighbors had been calling the police and now the guy has more stress. He is being fined $75.

Makes me glad that I live in the country. I can walk out the door and take a whiz or shoot my gun and no one bothers me.

The most stress I have is when the darn phone rings and it's another telemarketer.

Don

/ Am I crazy??? Move down from a B2400 to a BX22 #10  

That's why I suggested a group session. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif