Is a BX tractor right for me?

/ Is a BX tractor right for me? #1  

JDKu

Tractor
GC2300
I currently mow 4 acres with a JD L-120 (home depot variety) tractor and a 60" offset mower. I am looking to upgrade. The primary job of the tractor would be mowing, but I want a FEL just for odd jobs, and I may put a tiller on it in the future. So in short, I want something that excels in mowing, but has some other capabilities.

1) Is the BX the right tractor? I am looking at used. BX2350's, 1850's, 2230's, etc Is there a big difference between these tractors?

2) Will the BX be as good at cutting grass as the L-120? I expect it will be slightly less maneuverable.

3) Will the BX ride as smooth as the L-120? The tires look small on the BX. About half my property is really rough. You can feel the frame on the L-120 flexing. It has been engineered to smooth out the ride :)

4) Any buying advice that is "Canadian" specific. If I look at new, any good dealers to approach?

Thank you,
Chris

/ Is a BX tractor right for me? #2  
I currently mow 4 acres with a JD L-120 (home depot variety) tractor and a 60" offset mower. I am looking to upgrade. The primary job of the tractor would be mowing, but I want a FEL just for odd jobs, and I may put a tiller on it in the future. So in short, I want something that excels in mowing, but has some other capabilities.

1) Is the BX the right tractor? I am looking at used. BX2350's, 1850's, 2230's, etc Is there a big difference between these tractors?
The BX Series are the can do tractor, Make no mistake about it, it will do all and more of the chores you outlined. I had a BX23 TLB and it was an amazing tractor that did every task I had.

2) Will the BX be as good at cutting grass as the L-120? I expect it will be slightly less maneuverable.
60" mmm deck cuts like a charm, and the power steering will be an improvement over your John Deere.

3) Will the BX ride as smooth as the L-120? The tires look small on the BX. About half my property is really rough. You can feel the frame on the L-120 flexing. It has been engineered to smooth out the ride :)
Much better ride all around, there is no comparison between the two, one's a garden tractor and the Kubota is a true real tractor.

4) Any buying advice that is "Canadian" specific. If I look at new, any good dealers to approach?
Can't help here except go to kubota.com and see if they list dealers close to you.

Thank you,
Chris
Good luck, DevilDog

/ Is a BX tractor right for me? #3  
I would say ABSOLUTELY.

Downright perfect for what you state are your tasks, I'd say. Even the 18hp BX is a HUGE step up from what you have; has two deck size options, rear pto, mid pto, Front End Loader option and has the same hydraulics, three point hitch, etc as the higher 23 or 26 hp models. You couldn't go wrong with any of them.

/ Is a BX tractor right for me? #4  
1. There isn稚 a big difference in the models you mentioned, but some have complained of the abrupt transmission on the BX-xx50 series; see thread on Kubota ridiculous transmission.

2. I have no experience with the 100 series mowers, but own a 2305, 425 and 256 and the quality of cut on my BX is as good as either. Yes, as a 4WD it will be a little less maneuverable, but still pretty good.

3. The ride quality on the BX is as good as the 425, but not as good as the 265, but I have R4 tires with 25 psi in the front, turf tires may improve the ride.

4. I don稚 know anything about this.

I have owned two BX models and have been satisfied with both. I would however look at all brands to see which fits you the best; I did and settled on the Kubota.

/ Is a BX tractor right for me? #5  
Forgive. You stated clearly you are shopping used. Yes, as many others will tell you, models ending in "50" were the series with the very sharply stopping HST feature. Drive it. Do a stop, especially in reverse and see if you can live with it. Some hate it, others don't seem to mind.

If the lowboy stance of the BX bothers you, consider the B series. It is a substantially taller machine with larger wheels/tires.

/ Is a BX tractor right for me? #6  
I have a simiar set up, and yes the BX will do a great job...It's a great tractor. I does ride better than my mom's GT275. None of these have suspensions, so it's really seat and tire quality.

The mowing is great and the FEL will do more than you think for a "small" machine.

/ Is a BX tractor right for me? #7  
I use a BX24 and selling my Husky because the BX is a better machine and does everything. My BX does have the abrupt stop but I am used top it and find no issue with it. The loader is great and the BH will do the job but will take longer than a bigger machone and the cutting is great. I have plans for a snowblade or blower next season as funds permit. Until then I will use the loader. I would say for for the BX.

/ Is a BX tractor right for me? #8  
I don't know anything about the tractor/mower you have but I do know BX's and B's and one L. The BX is a tractor that mows great and will also perform tractor functions adequately. I bought my first one (BX2200) to be a lifetime mower and soon found out they are so much more than that with the FEL and 3ph. Down side is I have bought 9 Kubotas in 6 years to find that perfect slot for me which has ended up with 3 currently on hand between two different locations.:)

/ Is a BX tractor right for me? #9  
I am on my third B series, I looked at the BX when shopping for my second tractor and was fairly impressed except for the ground clearance. I spend some time in the forest with the tractor so wanted the extra ground clearance. If you are primarily mowing, even on rough terrain the BX should do everything you want and a few things you haven't thought of yet. Try driving as many different ones as you can and see which is the best fit for you physically as well as the best fit for the jobs you want to do with it.
Most any diesel powered SCUT/CUT will be much more tractor than anything Home Depot or similar sells.
Try Kubota.ca to get specs on what is available in the GWN.

/ Is a BX tractor right for me? #10  
The BX ride is much smoother then any tractor found at big box stores. Having a BX, I like the quality of the cut compared to big box stores. The only thing is you said you want to mow 4 acres ? I think if you don't have many trees and willing to go to a B series, the larger tires tends to be a bit more smoother and you can put a RFM larger mowing deck on it. The BX series has 60 inch MMM and it perfect for me on 2 acres. Its doable with 60 inch deck on 4 acres, but will take you 3-5 hours depending how rough it is.