Driveway/Road maintenance

/ Driveway/Road maintenance #1  

Jay4200

Veteran Member
Tractor
L4200GST w/ LA680 & BX2200D w/ LA211
I currently have a Kubota L4200 w/ FEL and Woods 9000 BH, which is getting pretty old and ratty. It's time for me to downsize - I'm going to keep the big machine anyway, since the BH is second to none, but I need a machine to use for maintaining my 750' gravel driveway and similarly constructed road. The old beast can handle any FEL and/or digging tasks, so I'm thinking a dedicated 3pt/PTO tractor w/ PTO snowblower, grading blade(s), and york rake or a small power rake (if I win the lottery). I don't think I need a whole lot of power, although the snowblower will require some oomph. I plan on using the machine for grading, smoothing, resurfacing, spreading new material, and (of course) snow removal. I'm looking for the biggest bang for the buck, and don't need a big tractor (already have one of those).

I think a little BX series could work, at least from a power standpoint, but I don't like the little wheels. I have a lawn tractor that I'm currently running with a snowblower, and I find the biggest problem with it are the little tires spinning then digging in and getting stuck in the holes. A big-wheeled B-series may be what I'm looking for, but I'm having trouble figuring out what is what. I have found, unfortunately, that the Kubota marketing packages (web site / brochures) are extremely poor in regards to easy comparisons of various models. For example, I've been familiar with the brand for years, yet I still can't figure out how the B2 and B3 models compare to the B7 models.

At any rate, any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

JayC

/ Driveway/Road maintenance #2  
I truly love my BX2660, but bought it over the B Series as most of my use was to be mowing with tractor stuff secondary. For what you are going to use one for I would think a B Series would be ideal. I was looking at getting the B2920, but there are a lot of B owners here that can give you some real good information on the various models in that lineup.

/ Driveway/Road maintenance #3  
Jay4200
Yes, the website at Kubota isn't all that, much of the time. The guys here can fill you in on the B series, which btw, appears to be Standard B and Bigger B in type. Not so unlike the L series where there appears to be L and Grand L???

/ Driveway/Road maintenance #4  
I maintain a 250ft driveway and a 600 ft private road with a BX...Don't let the size fool you, it'll do better than it appears. A B is a nice machine as well..

/ Driveway/Road maintenance #5  
This thread might give you some help. It mainly discusses many kinds of grader/scrapers, however there is also a lot of discussion of what tractor is being used to pull the implement.

I think you could do well with a larger B and a 5' Land Pride for your specific situation. I have a BX and a 4' Land Pride, but I have a 450' drive and no road. (You didn't say how long the road is.) My BX and 4' LP work fine for my situation.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-buying-pricing/138952-land-pride-grading-scraper.html

/ Driveway/Road maintenance #6  
I maintain my 1,000 foot gravel driveway with my BX23...Box scraper works very well.

Don

/ Driveway/Road maintenance #7  
I maintain about a mile of road/driveway with my B3030. I use the loader, box grader, rear blade, and york rake. It does a great job. Its set up for snow plowing now with chains and front mount plow mounted on the quick hitch. Over all I am very pleased with everything the maching can do.

/ Driveway/Road maintenance #8  
Follow this link for a side by side on the B and BX. The B has higher ground clearance and a bit bigger bucket than the BX. Not to sure one would have better traction than the other with appropriate weights. I prefer the BX for mowing and some FEL work. I prefer the B for FEL, boxblade and landscape rake. When I purchased Ratchet Rake I bought it for the B so I have to use B for Ratchet Rake but the BX would probably do RR work as well as B but a bit slower.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-owning-operating/148830-b3200-bx2660-side-side-not.html

/ Driveway/Road maintenance #9  
The B2X20 series replaces the B7500,B7510, and B7610 series, the B2630, and B3030 replace the B2710, and B2910 respectively, and the new B3200 replaces the B7800. I have the B2620, and have been happy with it for my tasks. I have a snowblower on the way for it. With R-4 tires I found that I needed chains for my conditions, and they are on the way too. I like the size, and have been in many places in the woods, etc. that even a larger B would have had some difficulty.

/ Driveway/Road maintenance #10  
Going down from a L to BX is a huge change. I think BX will do the job, But digging in? I don't think so. Instead of looking at exclusively a BX or B why not look for something with a cab within your price range ? even if it a BX with a cab, it will feel like a huge upgrade from the L with a cab for heat and snow blowing conditions. I think a B will give you some of that L feel and capability to swap implements just in case. The BX is a VERY nimble machine and can do things a B or L can't do in terms of maneuverability and tight spots and less foot print.