Kubota BX1860 cut quality vs Simplicity Legacy

/ Kubota BX1860 cut quality vs Simplicity Legacy #1  

mow4fun

Silver Member
Hello all, new owner and waiting for delivery of a BX1860 with FEL and RB. It also will have the 54" Fine Cut deck and Mulching kit. I am very excited and can't wait to get it but there is one concern I have.

I always been a Simplicity owner and had 6 different models and my current mowing machine is an Exmark Turf Tracer HP walk behind. I love the cut quality of all of these machines and loved the ability to stripe the lawn. Did any of you have experience or had a chance to compare the cut quality?

Can the BX1860 stripe with alternating direction of mow?

Thanks.

/ Kubota BX1860 cut quality vs Simplicity Legacy #2  
It is the full width roller on the Simplicity mowers that does the striping, and the Kubota mowers are full suspension mowers without any roller so you will not be able t stripe with it. I haven't seen an aftermarket striper either. I can't answer to the quality of cut issue, but I may be finding out this coming summer. I've had Simplicitys for the last 20 years, or so too.

/ Kubota BX1860 cut quality vs Simplicity Legacy #3  
Hello all, new owner and waiting for delivery of a BX1860 with FEL and RB. It also will have the 54" Fine Cut deck and Mulching kit. I am very excited and can't wait to get it but there is one concern I have.

I always been a Simplicity owner and had 6 different models and my current mowing machine is an Exmark Turf Tracer HP walk behind. I love the cut quality of all of these machines and loved the ability to stripe the lawn. Did any of you have experience or had a chance to compare the cut quality?

Can the BX1860 stripe with alternating direction of mow?

Thanks.
Congratulations on your purchase. I don't have an answer to any of your questions but I do have some thoughts for you to condider. Rarely can an all in one machine/tool do as well as several specialized machines/tools at one specific task. The BX will do hundreds of things that the Simplicity couldn't even start doing so if your tractor doesn't mow as well as a machine created basically just for mowing will you be disappointed? If the BX mows as well as a machine created just for mowing then you should be really happy, it may do it, I don't know but if not I hope you are not to disappointed. As you ride instead of walk while mowing count that as some benefit. When you carry a heavy load in the front bucket, count that as some benefit. A list of things a BX will do that a Simplicity won't do could cover the page. Wait till you use the BX one year then judge and I'm convinced you'll never regret your decision unless mowing is all you ever do with it and even then I believe you'll pick the BX especially if your maturing:) and prefer the ride to the walk.

/ Kubota BX1860 cut quality vs Simplicity Legacy
Congratulations on your purchase. I don't have an answer to any of your questions but I do have some thoughts for you to condider. Rarely can an all in one machine/tool do as well as several specialized machines/tools at one specific task. The BX will do hundreds of things that the Simplicity couldn't even start doing so if your tractor doesn't mow as well as a machine created basically just for mowing will you be disappointed? If the BX mows as well as a machine created just for mowing then you should be really happy, it may do it, I don't know but if not I hope you are not to disappointed. As you ride instead of walk while mowing count that as some benefit. When you carry a heavy load in the front bucket, count that as some benefit. A list of things a BX will do that a Simplicity won't do could cover the page. Wait till you use the BX one year then judge and I'm convinced you'll never regret your decision unless mowing is all you ever do with it and even then I believe you'll pick the BX especially if your maturing:) and prefer the ride to the walk.

Thanks for the feedback and comment and I especially like the "maturing" comment, makes me feel much better. :)

I agree, I know I will be able to do so much more with the BX than a Simplicity ever done. I guess I'll have to wait till the summer to truly test the mowing which I am sure will be good. While waiting, I'll try to enjoy it during the winter time with some snow cleanup. :)

/ Kubota BX1860 cut quality vs Simplicity Legacy #5  
I mowed my yard this spring a few times with my Simplicity Conquest while breaking in a new BX25 with the 60" regular cut deck. The quality of the Kubota cut is at least as good as was the Simplicity and it is much easier and more fun to use. As previously mentioned, no stripes. The conquest is sold and my only regret was the re-sale value on a well cared for 4-1/2 year old tractor.

Enjoy!

/ Kubota BX1860 cut quality vs Simplicity Legacy #6  
I recall a thread on that other forum about a guy who built his own striper that hooked to the 3PH. He used a steel rod and boat trailer rollers if I recall to construct it. I think the only issue is lack of weight to make the stripes more dramatic. Not sure how it worked on turns, but the independent rollers can rotate at different speeds.

/ Kubota BX1860 cut quality vs Simplicity Legacy #7  
Mine doesn't put down golf course quality stripes, but I do cut to and from the house and the directional striping is obvious. I think it looks pretty good.

I believe you'll be surprised at how well that thing mows grass among it's many other abilities...Congrats.

/ Kubota BX1860 cut quality vs Simplicity Legacy #8  
OK, I guess I'm one of the guys who should respond. For two years I had a bx24 with 60in MMM. I loved it. Fun and easy to cut lawn but I hated putting on and taking off the mower every week or two in the Summer (I had a lot of FEL and BH work inbetween cuts). So I found myself using my old Sears Garden tractor instead. The Sears machine kept breaking down in the middle of mowing. My wife said, "why don't you just get a dedicated mower?".

I junked the Sears mower, kept the bx and bought a Legacy XL and now mow with the legacy exclusively. The stripes are awesome but I think the bx was easier to mow with and had a better suspension. The cut is the same for me. I can't remember howmany PTO horses each has but it seems that the Legacy xl may cut thru heavy, wet grass a little better. In the final analysis, the legacy is a very expensive mower that can be outfitted (FEL, BH, 3ph) to do the same thing a bx can do. But a bx is much cheaper in the end (especially the bx tlb package) and probably better at more jobs and very comparable at lawn cutting (except for the stripes). Half the time, I wish I could raise the full length roller anyhow.

/ Kubota BX1860 cut quality vs Simplicity Legacy #9  
I will call everyone out on this..Normal 60" deck on a Bx24........Yup, I removed the rops (hate it when doing non-FEL/BH jobs)....Below is about 28,000 sq/ft..Time to mow about 27 minutes.

cimg7017.jpg

cimg7240.jpg

PS. Putting something on a 3 PH is not junk it is not funny. Build it right..Keep the blades sharp, mow dry, cut max 1" off; I will take a fine cut deck anyday! :)

/ Kubota BX1860 cut quality vs Simplicity Legacy
Wow, very impresive sw03. Now, if I get close to that cut then I would be very happy. :)

bx24d, I completely agree with you on the Simplicity roller. There were many times when I hated it while cutting slightly wet to wet grass. All the grass rolls collecting on it and then dropping on the lawn.

Anyhow, I have to wait till 1/2010 to get the tractor delivered and at this point I am very excited and already thinking of projects to use it.

Thanks to all for all the feedback and advice.