Why I picked a B2920 - a long story

/ Why I picked a B2920 - a long story #1  

bxowner

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 5055e
Well, after spending a lot - I mean a lot - of time looking at tractors, I finally made my decision and picked out a B2920 with a loader and a mid-mount mower. More attachments to come...

I want to thank everyone for their patience answering all of my questions and for offering their insight. I thought I'd take a minute to explain my reasons for picking this model over others - and I'll try to point out those features that people haven't spent a lot of time starting new threads on.

To begin with, I didn't limit my search to just Kubotas. I used to have a JD 2320 and really liked it - but the 2-range transmission was a real hang-up for me: as I've said many times, low was too low and high was too high. Still, I did look hard at the 2520 and 2720 - they were just too much money for my budget. Simple as that.

I then spent a lot of time looking at Kioti tractors. At first, I was really interested - especially because of the 0%/72 month financing and because owners say they're really "beefy" tractors. The problem for me lies in the fact that they've dropped the mid-PTO because mid-mount mowers were very, very expensive (I was quoted $4000-4500 for a 60" on the CK27 when it did have a mid-PTO). I have a lot of obstacles in my yard, so a rear-finish mower isn't an option. I then spent a lot of time thinking about buying an inexpensive, well used lawn or garden tractor instead of a MMM- but kept coming back to the idea that I like driving a bigger tractor because it's more comfortable and to a large extent, I can't justify a $15000+ loader-only tractor. Plus, the Kiotis weigh in at a hefty 3500+ lbs. with loaded tires, which I expect will take its toll on my yard, given the relatively small footprint.

Then, I looked at New Holland and Massey Ferguson. They just weren't inexpensive enough to justify the risk that I might be making (yet another) mistake. The idea of trying to sell one down the road kept me from looking very closely - and the prices I saw in person were pretty darned comparable to the Kubotas.

So, I then went full-on looking at Kubotas. I still can't believe that there are 6 models between 23 and 32 hp! I quickly weeded out the B2630 and B3030 (as well as a really nice used B7800) because a couple of years ago, in my right shoulder, I tore my rotator cuff, which hasn't been the same since. The location of the loader joystick made loader operation immediately uncomfortable. The location on the newer models, low to the right, felt "right" to me.

Then, I spent a lot of time trying to figure out whether the B3200 was worth the extra $1500 over a B2620 my dealer quoted me... which seemed at first like a really good deal. Well, I discovered this morning that the B3200 vibration problems - which were very real - aren't worth the risk to me of having to deal with forever more, in case Kubota can't come up with a legitimate "fix." As soon as the tractor was revved up above 2000 rpm, everything was rattling: the pins for the foldable ROPS, the 3-pt hitch arms, even the loader removal pegs, not to mention the levers, seat and engine cover panels. The worst part for me was the vibration in the hydro pedal - it felt like a really bad foot massager set to "high." I couldn't stand it.

So, the deal boiled down to B2620 or B2920. I decided that the $800 difference was worth piece of mind. I have no doubt I would lose more than that amount trading again and I'm not interested in picking out the wrong tractor a 3rd time. Granted, I've moved from my last two properties, so there's some "cost" associated with moving. But, I have had a hard time admitting I shouldn't have ever sold the JD 2320 (hydro complaint and all) because it cost me at least $3500-4000 to trade out of that, into a 2305, and now into another tractor. The only positive thing I can say about financing is that I am getting 0%, so I'm saving about $1000 in financing costs on the 2305 over time - so the sale of it really only cost me $600. No bad, I guess. But, the principle of it all still bugs me. Not to mention the embarrassment of having to explain it to me friends and family.

Well, I promised at the beginning that I'd point out features that weren't often mentioned, so here goes - and this applies to comparing the B2620 or 2920 to any other make or model: I liked the grey-colored rear panel behind the seatback on the B3200 because it has a threaded nut that would make mounting a work lamp to very easy - I realized I could do the same with an existing hole on the inside of the right-hand fender of the B2920. I like the extra width and length of the foot platform on the B2920 over the B2630/3030, JD 2320/2520 because I have a size-12 foot and my winter boots are pretty big. I like the location of the loader hydraulic quick-couplings on the Kubota better than the JD because they're easier to access up high, out of the mud. I like the seat on the B2620/2920 better than most other brands. I like the parking brake on the B2620/2920 because it's easy to set and stays put each and every time - the JD parking brake would sometimes freeze with snow or just get "stuck" such that I'd have to force it with hydro power to get it to release, plus the plastic lever was "flimsy" compared with the Kubota's steel lever. I like the back-lit dash. I prefer the 4WD lever next to me, so I don't have to reach down to fumble around for it in the dark.

So, not to sound too enthralled... I wish the Kubota had left-side split brakes so I could make use of them without having to use cruise control (like the JD). I wish the Kubota had a loader stand that would self-set (like the JD), without having to pull two separate pins. I wish the Kubota had a hood that was one-piece (like the JD), instead of 4. I wish the Kubota had the hydro pedals for forward/back next to each other (like the JD) - again, I have big boots and the pedals are close enough that my foot hits both at the same time. I wish the Kubota had position control (like the JD). I wish the Kubota had a factory plug-in forward facing aux. light kit for an inexpensive price (like the JD). And I wish the Kubota had a quick-attach bucket with a simple cotter-pin design (like the JD), rather than having to adapt a larger tractor solution that adds 4" to the distance from the loader arms, thereby reducing lift capacity.

So, finally a quick explanation as to why I went with the 2920 over the 2620. I plan to buy a chipper and a PTO generator, so for me the extra 3 hp was worth $700, if not just for peace of mind.

Well, that's quite enough. Thanks for taking the time to read - hope that at least something I've written makes your decision easier if you're buying a new tractor. Lots of other people's comments have really helped me with mine.

/ Why I picked a B2920 - a long story #2  
Very interesting. Sounds like you did enough shopping and comparison that you ought to have what you'll be happy with for a long time.

/ Why I picked a B2920 - a long story #3  
As you pointed out, Kubota has many (perhaps too many) tractors in this HP range. You seem to have thoroughly worked your way through them all, noting the trade-offs of each to arrive at your best match. Good job. Enjoy the 2920!

/ Why I picked a B2920 - a long story #4  
Very informative. Likes and why, dislikes and why and foot size are very beneficial and very easily evaluated as they apply to one personally. Again, good job. Greens were $3000 more for me 6 years ago when I started buying Oranges and Blues were $2500 more for equivilent machines so I went Orange and stayed Orange 9 times. The money difference answered all my questions which made my decision much easier. I also had never owned a tractor before so never had to decide if position control or 2 brake pedals wherever or how seat slides or which side key is on or... or..... or.....made any difference to me. Again, this should be very helpful for some trying to decide which and why.

/ Why I picked a B2920 - a long story #5  
Very interesting write up. I was initially going to buy a B2920 when I went shopping and really wanted one after owning other tractors. I sadly came to the conclusion that the BX2660 was the best one for me. I have been very happy with my 2660 and it was the right choice for me, but I sure liked the 2920 and I am sure it will work well for you.

/ Why I picked a B2920 - a long story #6  
Great write up. Thank you for it.

I really like my B2920.

The 2 speed JD vs the 3 speed Kubota and the cost were the principal reasons why I went Kubota. So far, no regrets.

Larry

/ Why I picked a B2920 - a long story #7  
Great write up. I recently purchased my second orange - a B3200. The dealer has a SQ84T Bush Hog that we connected to the B32. Further he helped me load it on my trailer to haul away for a demo. During the demo of mowing some heavy salt grass I had the rpms maxed out. I felt some vibration but nothing like you speak of. My 7510 running at max rpms has some vibration and noise so I thought nothing of it.

The dealer experience, the tractor, the price and financing kept me buying orange. BTW I am loving the extra power of the B3200 over my 7510.

/ Why I picked a B2920 - a long story #10  
BXOwners loss :D. He's just stuck with a Kubota-origin board name now. Perhaps he'll come back to the Orange side someday. :laughing:

He may have to change names as I saw where he was attacked by someone on the JD forum; thought he was "trolling" I guess.

We own Kubota, John Deere, Case, Massey Ferguson and some old Fords; last three were Kubotas