Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24
  1. #1
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,497
    Location
    Northern, IL
    Tractor
    Branson 2400H

    Default Looking at 06 BX1850

    Hi all,
    I am looking at an 06 BX1850 with 236 hrs on the clock. It has the FEL and a 54" MMM.

    Only items I have seen to check on are:

    Plastic deck ( operators floor board) cracks and there is supposedly a newer design. Is this true?

    I have read about the jerky reverse concerns. I have driven other hydro units and find that some are touchier than others.

    Light switch is prone to corroding.

    any other major items I should be looking for?

    Note: the day I stopped at the dealer to look at this unit it was 22 degrees and had about a foot of snow on it. Dealer tried to start it but solenoid only clicked. I did notice that there seemed to be excessive play in tilt cylinder. I.e. the bucket rocked. Is this normal?

    TIA

    Roy

  2. #2
    Elite Member timswi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    4,882
    Location
    Beaver County Pa
    Tractor
    Kubota BX23 & RTV1100

    Default Re: Looking at 06 BX1850

    Quote Originally Posted by oldnslo View Post
    Hi all,
    I am looking at an 06 BX1850 with 236 hrs on the clock. It has the FEL and a 54" MMM.

    Only items I have seen to check on are:

    Plastic deck ( operators floor board) cracks and there is supposedly a newer design. Is this true?

    I have read about the jerky reverse concerns. I have driven other hydro units and find that some are touchier than others.

    Light switch is prone to corroding.

    any other major items I should be looking for?

    Note: the day I stopped at the dealer to look at this unit it was 22 degrees and had about a foot of snow on it. Dealer tried to start it but solenoid only clicked. I did notice that there seemed to be excessive play in tilt cylinder. I.e. the bucket rocked. Is this normal?

    TIA

    Roy
    The HST jerking is something you can get used to...I wouldn't make that a show stopper.

    I'm not familiar with the plastic floors..Mine is steel.

    My FEL bucket moves a bit if you step on it, once the hydro pressue leaks down..normal I would say.

    I guess lettin it sit under a foot of snow wouldn't hurt anything, but that would give me pause...Sounds like it needs a battery. Hopefully there was anti-freeze in it

    How many hours, and how much is he asking?

    The BX's are great little machines...love mine.
    BX23TLB & RTV1100 with 72" Power Angle Plow

  3. #3
    Elite Member dodge man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,594
    Location
    West central Illinois
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2350

    Default Re: Looking at 06 BX1850

    My bucket also flops a little bit, I'd say its normal.

  4. #4
    Super Member radioman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,495
    Location
    Ontario, NY
    Tractor
    Kubota BX24

    Default Re: Looking at 06 BX1850

    Well the plastic fenders on 50 series are known to crack. take a look under there - the newer fenders has ribs on front part like mine. The older one has a metal bracket that goes with it.

    The 50 series DOES have a reverse issue to point where it can make your back, neck hurt but I learned how to work with it so it doesnt snap like thst but I do forget at times.

    No light issues on mine, and headlight is not the issue with corrosioin, its the ignition that seems to cause some to have trouble. Never happened to me, might be because I keep it inside.

    There is a slight play on my BX, but not excessive. how much is it moving ? If it moves some, take a look at the curl cylinder rod, does it move too ? it might be air getting in, need to tighten up the flare nuts, it happened to me once.

  5. #5
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,497
    Location
    Northern, IL
    Tractor
    Branson 2400H

    Default Re: Looking at 06 BX1850

    Quote Originally Posted by timswi View Post
    The HST jerking is something you can get used to...I wouldn't make that a show stopper.

    I'm not familiar with the plastic floors..Mine is steel.

    My FEL bucket moves a bit if you step on it, once the hydro pressue leaks down..normal I would say.

    With loader on the ground and sitting for an unknown amount of time I couldn't see the pivot pin. Will look this over when tractor is operational.

    I guess lettin it sit under a foot of snow wouldn't hurt anything, but that would give me pause...Sounds like it needs a battery. Hopefully there was anti-freeze in it

    On a dealers lot so snow is on all the equipment. I think If I decide to make the purchase I will try to a battery thrown in or deduct the price.

    How many hours, and how much is he asking?

    236 hours and $9750

    The BX's are great little machines...love mine.
    All the research i have seen says they are a well built unit. I try to use my equipment to it's limits with out abusing it.

    thanks for all the replys

    Roy

  6. #6
    Super Member JOHNTHOMAS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,683
    Location
    Somerset, Ky
    Tractor
    currently own F3080 F2680 B2620 FEL/BH RTV1140

    Default Re: Looking at 06 BX1850

    I had a BX2350 and the abrupt reverse stop bothered me enough that I traded it to a BX2660 after 30 some hours. The more I used it the more it bothered me knowing it wasn't right. I've bought 9 Kubotas so I knew it's wasn't right. Was is usable? yes Could it be toned down with a very easy foot? yes Did it stop abruptly every time I backed up in a hurry (which is part of mowing with an HST for me)? yes Now if you try it for 22 minutes on the lot and it doesn't bother you then go for it, they are great machines. If it does bother you then hunt for a not 50 series.
    2012 B2620 FEL BH, 2008 F2680 2WD 72" side Discharge Deck, 2012 F3080 4WD 72" rear discharge deck, 2010/2009 RTV1140CPX , RatchetRake, Forks, ...DEARBORN 2 BOTTOM PLOW 12" ?? FOR SALE $425).... Drawbar and Horse Drawn disk 13 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab, 13 Ford Flex. 2009 Subaru Impreza Sport

  7. #7
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,497
    Location
    Northern, IL
    Tractor
    Branson 2400H

    Default Re: Looking at 06 BX1850

    Quote Originally Posted by JOHNTHOMAS View Post
    I had a BX2350 and the abrupt reverse stop bothered me enough that I traded it to a BX2660 after 30 some hours. The more I used it the more it bothered me knowing it wasn't right. I've bought 9 Kubotas so I knew it's wasn't right. Was is usable? yes Could it be toned down with a very easy foot? yes Did it stop abruptly every time I backed up in a hurry (which is part of mowing with an HST for me)? yes Now if you try it for 22 minutes on the lot and it doesn't bother you then go for it, they are great machines. If it does bother you then hunt for a not 50 series.
    John,
    I intend to test drive it like you would normally be using it for loader work and mowing lawns. Dealer has snow piles to try the loader out on which to me a great benefit. Pushing into a frozen pile of snow should give me some feel for how well this tractor will perform and loader work typically requires direction changes.

    I guess it makes me wonder what did kubota change between the 30 series, 50 series and now 60 series. I have not researched these extensively but what items would cause this. If fixed on 60 series what did they change? Complete trans and final drive assembly?

    Control linkage?

    Does any body know where I could access, or have access them selves to a good detailed parts break down for these different models? Could some one point me towards one and I will do some research.

    I have to believe if this is a simple fix and or a serious safety issue, Kubota would have stepped up the plate.

    Again: I have NOT experienced this on a Kubota so I may speaking out of turn.

    Roy

  8. #8
    Elite Member dodge man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,594
    Location
    West central Illinois
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2350

    Default Re: Looking at 06 BX1850

    OLDNSLO, there has been several threads on the abrut reverse issue. If I recall, they changed some stuff inside the HST to fix it. Some people have tried other fixes, but without much luck.

  9. #9
    Super Member radioman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,495
    Location
    Ontario, NY
    Tractor
    Kubota BX24

    Default Re: Looking at 06 BX1850

    Quote Originally Posted by oldnslo View Post
    John,
    I intend to test drive it like you would normally be using it for loader work and mowing lawns. Dealer has snow piles to try the loader out on which to me a great benefit. Pushing into a frozen pile of snow should give me some feel for how well this tractor will perform and loader work typically requires direction changes.

    I guess it makes me wonder what did kubota change between the 30 series, 50 series and now 60 series. I have not researched these extensively but what items would cause this. If fixed on 60 series what did they change? Complete trans and final drive assembly?

    Control linkage?
    Its more of a redesigned tranny. Differences is 30 series had dynamo alternators- may need upgrade,has air filter bracket problems, has metal fenders. 60 has all features of 50 but metal fenders and better tranny. There are many other differences but too many to list here.

    Does any body know where I could access, or have access them selves to a good detailed parts break down for these different models? Could some one point me towards one and I will do some research.
    messicks.com - click on kubota parts
    kubotabooks.com enter site and you will find manuals.
    I have to believe if this is a simple fix and or a serious safety issue, Kubota would have stepped up the plate.

    Again: I have NOT experienced this on a Kubota so I may speaking out of turn.

    Roy
    You are not speaking out of turn, I feel the same way AND I own a 50 series, so I DO know what I am talking about. I DID send kubota a complaint about the stop. They basically sent me to my dealer, and all it was is a upgrade to a 60 series. There is a small tweak on the pedal spring but it doesnt solve problem, it softened it a little but still snaps. I am feeling violated and cheated because of that. Not my dealers fault- its kubota's. All I want is a modded part for my tranny or a 60 series tranny swap. I am keeping my bota- its nearly paid off and I am NOT going with another payment.

  10. #10
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    657
    Location
    Freetown, MA
    Tractor
    BX24

    Default Re: Looking at 06 BX1850

    I have BX24 and dont find it all that bad. The abrupt stop in reverse can be bad until you learn to expect it and compensate for it. IE keep the FEL low when backing up if possible otherwise be very carefull. I have not had any problems with it but I also have not used it without the FEL or BH. I have the front mount snowblower on it now but since I got it NO SNOW. Isnt that the way. I wouldn't let the stopping in reverse issue stop me from buying another 50 series.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. BX1850 buying questions!
    By 98ramtough in forum Kubota Owning/Operating
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-05-2009, 11:14 PM
  2. BX1850 with MMM
    By John_B32 in forum Kubota Owning/Operating
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-02-2006, 11:03 AM
  3. 06 Gator HPX Diesel
    By Turkeyman in forum ATVs & Utility Vehicles
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-06-2006, 10:33 PM
  4. Buying Advice Need advice for rototiller for BX1850
    By Buster57 in forum Kubota Buying/Pricing
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-03-2006, 10:56 PM
  5. BX1850 or BX2230
    By Backup in forum Kubota Buying/Pricing
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-26-2006, 09:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.