L3400 HST Question

/ L3400 HST Question #1  

fortyseven2n

Bronze Member
Tractor
1947 Ford 2N , 1952 Ferguson TO-30 , 1953 John Deere 40 Standard, 2009 Kubota L3400 HST with Loader
Probably a dumb question but on an L3400 HST does the tractor coast or free wheel at all going down hill ?

What I mean is like on a gear tractor , if I am going down hill in 1st gear there is enough braking action or resistance from the engine to keep the speed slow.

Do you get the same on an HST is you are using the pedal or the cruise control or do you have to ride the brakes ?

I have only driven the HST on fairly level ground and I loved it but a fellow I work with said he rented an HST ( not Kubota ) and he said it would do fine going uphill or on level ground but would really freewheel when going down a slope.He talked like it was a wild ride.

I have some pretty steep hills to bushhog so I don't want to wind up flying down one out of control.

Just want to make sure before I take the final plunge ( no pun intended ).

Let me know what you guys have found out.

Thanks !
Fortyseven2n

/ L3400 HST Question #2  
I have been down some fairly steep hills on the road in high range on mine and it will not run away. It seems to act much like a geared tractor in that respect.

Terry

/ L3400 HST Question #3  
I have been down some fairly steep hills on the road in high range on mine and it will not run away. It seems to act much like a geared tractor in that respect.

Terry

The HST will offer more safety than a geared tractor in this respect. If you are on a steep hill in low range and you lift your foot the L3400 will come to a halt. It may slightly creep but not much. If your in mid range it will have a little less dynamic braking(hold back) and the creep will be more. If you are in the High range on a hill it will have even less hold back. The only time I use my brakes is to set them for safety. Always set your brake when on a hill. I operate a lot on steep areas and I will only use an HST for safety reasons and the geared transmissions are what I cut my teeth on.

/ L3400 HST Question #4  
There was something wrong with the tractor that your friend had rented. HST tractors slow down or and come to a stop when you take pressure off of the pedal. I have a Mahindra and as others have said, really only use the brakes to set the emergency brake. You should never have a run away feeling.

/ L3400 HST Question
Thanks for the response guys.

I really love the HST and this makes me feel good about the choice.

I have never spent this much money on a tractor and want to make sure what I am getting is what I want !

I have done a lot of shopping and actually started looking at Deeres first and wound up looking at Kubota as a second choice.

Nothing wrong with the Deeres but the Kubota is a lot better value for the money.

I am really impressed with the build quality.

Anyway, thanks again !

Hopefully, I will have a new L3400 HST by next weekend !

Fortyseven2n

/ L3400 HST Question #6  
Let off and as mentioned it will come to a stop and slight creep which slight pressure toward reverse will stop in 4WD. If you do it in 2wd , which your friend may have done, it can be a bit scarier. Always keep it in 4WD coming down a steep slope or incline.

/ L3400 HST Question #7  
There was something wrong with the tractor that your friend had rented. HST tractors slow down or and come to a stop when you take pressure off of the pedal. I have a Mahindra and as others have said, really only use the brakes to set the emergency brake. You should never have a run away feeling.

Exactly. HST tractors are great on slopes. I never use the brakes (except to park). We have 2 HST's and they are excellent on our very hilly property.

/ L3400 HST Question #8  
I can second the steep hill comments about slowing down and stopping...I have a 2007 L3400 HST 4x4, loaded Ags, a loader and a few implements.

We have a very steep driveway, and go up and down it often... Often I stop on the hill and do it just by letting off the pedal.

Even though we have some pavement on the lower drive, seldom do I take it out of 4x4 mode.. That driveway portion is rather steep also... so I want the braking-- (tires are cheaper than a damaged tractor from sliding or slipping).

Anyway-- at one point I borrowed and old ford betty and drove up to the house.. and well--- NEVER would I use a gear tractor again!!!!

Just my 2 Cents worth..

J

/ L3400 HST Question #9  
Let off and as mentioned it will come to a stop and slight creep which slight pressure toward reverse will stop in 4WD. If you do it in 2wd , which your friend may have done, it can be a bit scarier. Always keep it in 4WD coming down a steep slope or incline.

YES SIR!! Just this weekend we were cleaning up some branches from pruning and the ground was a little soft, going down an incline I was in two wheel and as I let off of the HST pedal to slow down the wheels stopped and the sod broke loose and I was sliding like on ice leaving two skid marks in the lawn and one in my pants!:D Thankful that it was a short slide! Therefore, I can attest that the L3400 HST does not free wheel going down hill when you let off of the pedal!
Been tractoring for 30 some years and still learning! Hope this helps.

/ L3400 HST Question #10  
Thanks for the response guys.

I really love the HST and this makes me feel good about the choice.

I have never spent this much money on a tractor and want to make sure what I am getting is what I want !

I have done a lot of shopping and actually started looking at Deeres first and wound up looking at Kubota as a second choice.

Nothing wrong with the Deeres but the Kubota is a lot better value for the money.

I am really impressed with the build quality.

Anyway, thanks again !

Hopefully, I will have a new L3400 HST by next weekend !

Fortyseven2n

Hey Fortyseven2n.... Just noticed you were from NC! Don't know how far you are from Sinks Farm Equipment in Lexington but two days ago I saw a L3400 with LoaderQ/A bucket foldable ROPS and R4's for $19,900.00 on the sticker.
Just thought I would let you know!