M7040 HDC & HDC-1 changeover

/ M7040 HDC & HDC-1 changeover #1  

Builder

East PA or 750 mi. east of a short man named Dar__
Tractor
Kubota, AGCO, New Holland LB
Anyone know when the changeover occurred? May have found a low-houred used 7040, but don't know if it's a HDc or HDC-1. Asked dealer to see if it has a turbo on it. Would love to know tonight.

/ M7040 HDC & HDC-1 changeover #2  
builder, get the m8540, you'll be glad you did. they all have the turbo.

/ M7040 HDC & HDC-1 changeover #3  
there is a serial number break somewhere, but it says HD-1 on the model plate. Thats the only real way to know.

/ M7040 HDC & HDC-1 changeover
builder, get the m8540, you'll be glad you did. they all have the turbo.

Rarely will you hear me say this, but it's just too much tractor. It's too long and heavy for what I'll be doing. I'm going to be plowing a lot of driveways and the 8540 is 12" longer. Also, I won't be able to tow it behind my pickup.

I totally agree it's more tractor-more clutch, more gears, more HP, more weight. I even know where there's a VERY nice one, but it's on R-4's and I want R-1's on this piece.

The older M7040's (HDC) don't have a turbo. This used one I found doesn't, either. Kind of bummed about it because other than that, it's a GREAT DEAL for me. I bet the turbo makes the tractor feel much more powerful than the 4 extra HP it's rated for. I bet the torque rise is better.

However, I'm looking at $14,000 in savings over a new one and no 50 HR servicing at $450 to worry about, either.

What I'll miss on the new one is turbo & warranty.

/ M7040 HDC & HDC-1 changeover #7  
I agree with Builder on the M8540. It is undeniably a great tractor but its physical dimensions are just too much. It would have been too wide to fit in my barn and would have stuck out the door.

Back to the subject. The M7040 turbo is there for emissions only as far as I know. There is a slight HP gain but it never would be noticed in real use. It is an "on-paper" issue. Whatever you are doing you will spin all four tires before stalling the engine.

Mine is the -1 model and the high-pitched whine from the turbo is a bit annoying at times.

At the $14K savings you found that is a deal to jump at if it hasn't been abused. That tractor should last forever.

/ M7040 HDC & HDC-1 changeover
Thanks for the concern/replies. The other factor unmentioned is that I have a 108HP 4WD LB115 backhoe for real digging/loading. :D

Also, if the business keeps expanding, I'll buy a used heavy frame 100+ tractor like a Kubota MX or a Deere 7xxx, etc., but that's 1-2 yrs down the road.

/ M7040 HDC & HDC-1 changeover #9  
gw, i like that turbo whine:D builder, that new holland is real nice. much nicer than my 70's case 580ck.

/ M7040 HDC & HDC-1 changeover #10  
Back to the subject. The M7040 turbo is there for emissions only as far as I know. There is a slight HP gain but it never would be noticed in real use. It is an "on-paper" issue. Whatever you are doing you will spin all four tires before stalling the engine.

I agree. The turbo is a negative as far as I can tell. The extra (one) HP won't be noticeable. What will be noticeable is the extra cost and you are supposed to let the turbo idle for several minutes before shutting the tractor down. PITA.

Ken