Tractor Sizing Need Advice on Tractor for 53 acres? B or L??

/ Need Advice on Tractor for 53 acres? B or L?? #1  

BANDAMAN

Silver Member
Tractor
Deere 318
This is for my mom and dad, both retired, in their mid 60s. They farm 50 acres for a hobby and also have 3 acres around the house and buildings that they maintain. They have all the usual farm equipment, probably enough to farm 500 acres! 3 IH tractors from the late 70's, early 80's, I believe? A 1086, a 986 with loader, both with cabs and an 856 no cab.

They recently (with my influence) purchased a Kubota GR2110 for mowing the grass and they really love the little diesel after 30 years of using cub cadet gassers. They have used my former BX2230 and my current BX1860 and I do believe they are now Kubota fans. Dad has never had a brand new tractor other than a lawn tractor and now might be the time.

Dad has been in the hospital for a few months and recovering slowly? We are hoping for a full recovery, but in the mean time, we have all chipped in to help out. I kept the drive cleared with an ATV and plow and the 986 with loader and back blade for the heavy snows. Mom wants to have something that she can handle if dad is not able and the above two she does not enjoy.

They want a cab and a loader, a back blade, and maybe a snow blower. They also want HST for ease of use. My first suggestion was a B3030, since it is a compact unit and I believe the smallest tractor with a factory cab. They like the idea, but are now thinking bigger? Possibly in the Grand L lineup. They are now thinking of replacing the 856 so they want a machine that can run the grain bin auger and the 5' or 6' woods rough cut mower. They have not decided on getting rid of the 856 or not yet, so the smaller machine may be sufficient.

This tractor would be for moving snow, general farm and yard utility work, mowing the ditches, and running an auger at harvest time. They do not need it for the heavy farm work, since the Big IH's are capable.

Their dealer has recommended an L4240 (I think) with the cab, loader, and lots of options? It was around $40,000 or so, but the dealer quoted around $36,000 out the door. Then he offered an excellent trade on the 856 at $11,500 which is more then the cost of ownership on that old machine.

Sounds like a heck of a machine and would be pure luxury for my very deserving hard working parents, but is it overkill?? Would an L3540 or L3240 do the trick? I am very familiar with the smaller BX series, but I do not keep up on the Bs, Ls, and Ms, so I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks, Mike

Last edited:
   / Need Advice on Tractor for 53 acres? B or L?? #2  
I'd go with the L

/ Need Advice on Tractor for 53 acres? B or L?? #3  
I 2nd the motion,go with the Grand L, live a little ! I smile every time I fire up my 5240 !

/ Need Advice on Tractor for 53 acres? B or L?? #4  
I would think with your fathers farming experience and a farm that is still being worked the L series would be the way to go. I really like the B3030 but it would be small for any real farm work on 50+ acres.

MarkV

/ Need Advice on Tractor for 53 acres? B or L?? #5  
L series

/ Need Advice on Tractor for 53 acres? B or L?? #6  
without question,,,,,,,,,,,L

/ Need Advice on Tractor for 53 acres? B or L?? #7  
Also with the 4240 it gives you the largest capacity loader for the L series. I have a 3940 and think that the Grand L series are very nice tractors. JMHO

/ Need Advice on Tractor for 53 acres? B or L?? #8  
My B does fine around the immediate house and outbuidings.

I like the size weight combo on the driveway, trails and in-out of the barn.

I even do pasture mowing with it on occasion.

The size (height), weight (ground impact) are the two factors that keep the machIne on this farm. Otherwise the deeres would suffice.

I looked at L's a while back, I opted out of that series for the above factors and the price.

/ Need Advice on Tractor for 53 acres? B or L?? #9  
L series of at least the L4240 for the bigger loader. I would also contact Brady Barlow to get a comparative price and they do deliver all over the place. I traded my IH in for the Kubota and we did the deal through Pics and e-mail.
Barlow Tractor Package Builder
Go through the package builder process and this is the way Brady Barlow Starts the process on the web. Then we talked over the phone and e-mails.
the do every thing they say they are going to do and treat you like a valued customer.

/ Need Advice on Tractor for 53 acres? B or L??
Thanks for the advice guys.

I guess they didn't need any input from me....they called this morning and told me they pulled the trigger on an L5740!! Bigger then I thought they were planning on, but it should do everything they need and then some!

I told them about Barlow's but they are happy with the local dealer and he gave them one heck of a trade in on that 856.

As far as I know, they are getting the 5740, loader, cab with the bells and whistles, a backblade and pallet forks. I'm not sure of all the exact specifics yet.

Dad will be spoiled for sure! i guess that is also a good way to get me to help, although I'll have to fight for seat time in it.

I'll have to get some pics when they have it delivered.