Buying Advice B2320 or ?

/ B2320 or ? #1  

Flying MXZ

Bronze Member
Tractor
Massey 1635
I think I am looking at a B2320. I started looking at the BX25/JD2305 but they are not big enough to me (or my wife). I want a loader and backhoe, but may get an aftermarket (3pt) backhoe. I will not mow with this (for quite awhile at least). I have 12 acres, ~1 acre steep lawn around the house, ~2 acres of lawn/orchard seperated from the house lawn. The rest is mostly wooded (some hardwood/overgrown orchard and some hemlock) but part of the old orchards/hardwood will be turned into more lawn eventually. I don't plan on doing any heavy work with the backhoe; some small stump removal, drainage lines, light ditching. If I get a 3 pt backhoe I'm thinking my dad can borrow it and run it on his JD850 also. I have had plenty of time mowing on the 850 and do not mind the gear setup. Would I miss the HST on this tractor? I wouldn't mind saving ~$1000 on the tractor (plus it would ensure the wife would not drive it). Would a L2800 be a better fit?

Attached is a pic of my property. I am north of the road, and do not own the fields. The only flat area is by the stream (future garden spot) and an old roadway across the middle of the property. Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Attachments

• my house small.JPG
    my house small.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 121
   / B2320 or ? #2  
I'm always one to get a machine larger than what I think I'll need. I have 35 acres of trees and pasture. I went with an L3240 hst. I'm very glad I did. (I had a Ford 1520 for a while and it was just too light)

I'd say you will be more productive and happier with a L2800 or even the 3400.

Besides I'm great at spending money that isn't mine. ;)

/ B2320 or ? #3  
Sounds like if you want a gear tractor and you are going to be grubbing some small to medium stumps and stuff the L2800 gear with backhoe would be better. Depends on how much you want to spend too. The B3200 would be all around better for mowing (midmount) if you eventually do that with a tractor plus it's got a decent backhoe. No gear trans though.

Last edited:
   / B2320 or ? #4  
Just a thought on the 2320/backhoe later, I think the dealer told me you can't add a backhoe after on that model?
Sounds like the L3400 would better serve your needs. Big difference in the loaders too. It's only money, you don't have to eat EVERY day

/ B2320 or ? #5  
If you get a FEL get a HST. Rarely does anyone ever go back to gears after having an HST. With FEL one hand stays on loader stick and one hand stays on steering wheel which makes most of us short of a hand to change gears. With HST the forward and back is so easily and smoothly done with an HST that it becomes one continuious motion. Pay the extra for HST if you spend it for anything. Ask any dealer how many gears that they sell in proportion to HST's. They are a little cheaper up front but if you sell it you will limit your buyers by probably 90% and you'll take a big hit.

/ B2320 or ? #6  
Just a thought on the 2320/backhoe later, I think the dealer told me you can't add a backhoe after on that model?
Sounds like the L3400 would better serve your needs. Big difference in the loaders too. It's only money, you don't have to eat EVERY day

Haha :laughing:- yeah if you get the L3400 you could just eat every other day or skip breakfast and maybe have popcorn for dinner some nights.:licking:

/ B2320 or ? #7  
I'm like SCtractor guy, I went looking for a B3200 or 3030 and wound up with a L5030 HSTC and love it. I once wanted a B2x20, but found so many better suited for my needs; good tractors, but just not for me.