Buying Advice Quarter-inching Valve

/ Quarter-inching Valve #1  

tractorshopper

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2380
Is the 3PH positioning a pain on the BX's and B's since it does not have the infinite position adjustment? I hope I'm getting that right, but on other tractors I've used we've called it draft.

I'm not sure how exactly the qtr inching works on the smaller machines and since that's what I'm looking to purchase, want to get a feel if it should be a big deal to me or not.

Do you just raise and lower to where you want the implement and then let go of it and it stays there?

Sorry to be a pain, but I want to really understand as much as I can about such a large purchase.

Planned rear implement uses will be bush hogging 3.5 acres, box scraping and landscaping some, and tilling a small garden each year.

Still struggling deciding between a BX 2360, 2660, or B 2320, MMM (for the other 4 acres), FEL and above implements.

/ Quarter-inching Valve #2  
I do not have a tiller, so can't comment on it. I do not find the 1/4" valve on the 3 pt. hitch to be that much of an issue with the box blade or rear blade. I adjust what they are doing more with the top link which controls how agressive they are digging in. I do find it an annoyance with the rotary mower. You can certainly use it, but as you mow, it will tend to sag down, so you have to bump it up every once in awhile. Not a huge issue, but enough to annoy me. I will probably look at adding some type of chain system to limit the drop.

To get a position control on a Kubota, you have to go to the B2630 or an L.

/ Quarter-inching Valve #3  
My B7800 supposedly has it. It seems to go up and down just like my other tractors. It has never been a problem for me.

/ Quarter-inching Valve #4  
The quarter inching valve actually has 5 positions, from what I can tell. There is a neutral position and you can 1/4" it up and down, or you can lift all the way up or let it all the way down but you have to hold the lever until it gets all the way up or down in that function. I use a tiller with mine with no problem. I have the regular draft control on my other tractor but don't have a problem with this set up. You can also control the speed of how quickly the 3PH raises or lowers with a knob usually located in front of the seat down low.

/ Quarter-inching Valve #5  
I have a B with the quarter inching valve and I think it's a pain in the neck. My next tractor will absolutely have position control.

/ Quarter-inching Valve #6  
on other tractors I've used we've called it draft.

Don't forget that there is a big difference between "position control" and "draft control".

/ Quarter-inching Valve #7  
Well, kinda like KU Gator; would really like to have it, but no one makes a position control 3-point, so you just have to live with it.

I tried to find a company that sold a chain setup, but couldn't find one, so for bush hogging/rotary cutting, I too will fab up a chain system too. It is just a mild annoyance as I have used BX's without it for eight years.

As Bird points out, "draft control" is a whole different thing.

/ Quarter-inching Valve #8  
Quite briefly, 1/4 inching doesn't work. Now maybe one of the dealers will chime in here, and tell me what I am doing wrong, but in either position (fast, or slow) my control lever brings up a rear implement so fast it makes the front of the tractor bounce. It has been useless for me, and I depend fully on top link adjustment, etc. to get box blading work done. You can set a lower limit which I've done, and that has helped in some situations, bush hogging, using the middlebuster, etc. Still, there is very little control over fine adjustment to any rear mounted implement with my tractor.

/ Quarter-inching Valve #9  
The 1/4"ing is different on the B7800 than the B3200. B7800 would drop a fraction each time it hit detent and all the way if the lever went to bottom of slot. The B3200 does not have the fraction drop at the first notch. it drops till you release with no marked drops other than your hand.

/ Quarter-inching Valve #10  
You might want to read this for a little more information.